British Speedway Forum
Gambo

Rolling Averages

The trouble with counting matches ridden at the end of the previous season is a team can either be out of the running (or already qualified for the play offs) and in the remaining matches could score lowly as they know these rides will seriously lower next seasons averages and possibly the season after too.

If next season every team rides each other twice at home and twice away, there will be 36 league matches ..... will it revert to a 38 match rolling average ? ...... if it does then Wolves can keep both Fredrik Lindgren and Tai Woffinden as Tai's 38 match average is way below 8 points a match ;)

When a rider guests for another team, are his scores included in his rolling averages. ie Hawkins in main body of Rye House team yet rode at reserve for Ipswich last night. and also Nelson who is a rye House reserve but rides at No 3 for Plymouth tonight.

When a rider guests for another team, are his scores included in his rolling averages. ie Hawkins in main body of Rye House team yet rode at reserve for Ipswich last night. and also Nelson who is a rye House reserve but rides at No 3 for Plymouth tonight.

In a word... No!

Only matches and rides during the time that you have been in the declared line up of a team count towards the Rolling Average. You can ride for more than one team in a season. e.g. James Wright Workington & Somerset.

ATB

Dave

Gambo, may I ask you where I find the assessed averages for riders, who never rode in UK like Lindback, Laguta, Bogdanovs and many others?

Gambo, may I ask you where I find the assessed averages for riders, who never rode in UK like Lindback, Laguta, Bogdanovs and many others?

Lindback??? Never ridden in the uk????? :rolleyes:

The other rider assessments are listed in the rule book.........if you can find one.

They may be +1 or -1. (Depending upon who is asking.) :lol:

ATB

Dave

Edited by Gambo

Antonio Lindback is a rider often linked with a return to England having spent most of his time at Poole before returning for a bad spell at Belle Vue where he soon retired from the sport. His average at Poole finished on 7.94 but at Belle Vue he had just 11 meetings scoring 73 points from 48 rides. He had a 3h3a average of just 4.15 and a short spell at reserve where he did score a bit better before leaving.

As that was 2007 it remains to be seen on what average he would return on. Would they go off his last 28 matches which would make him around seven points a match or would he be reassessed as a Grand Prix rider at 8.00 ?

As for Laguta .... Grigory would start on a 5.00 average while Artem would have started 2011 as a GP rider on 8.00 but as he no longer rides in the GP's you would have to go off his Swedish or Polish average which arent great so he should start on a 4.00 as would Maksim Bogdanovs.

Is there anywhere that has all team's 2011 actual rider's averages available yet anyone?

Cheers BB

Does anybody know how many years can count in a rider's rolling average going forward?

In an extreme scenario would a rider making a single appearance per season carry his 2010 EL meeting all the way through to form part of his starting average for the 2038 season? i.e. 28 meetings over 28 years?

Or do "old seasons" get dropped off after a certain period?

Personally I think that only the previous seasons meetings should count when calculating the starting averages for the following season, provided the rider has ridden a qualifying minimum, e.g. 4H and 4A. Two years is a long time in speedway. It would make sense that the 2012 starting averages were based on 2011 meetings only (subject to 4H & 4A). Although small, the building of teams below 42, effectively means that year on year, a rider should have a small increase on his average.

I can confirm that the promoters have decided that Rolling Averages, (which initially had a start dating from the 2010 season avearges) will continue in the same vein. All rolling averages will be compiled from a rider's last 28 (EL) or 38 (PL) matches irrespective of how many years that may encompass.

For example Eddie Kennett's RA for the start of 2012 will be his 16 completed matches from 2011 plus his last 12 matches from 2010.

ATB

Dave

Thanks Dave. But does that mean 2009 (and earlier) meetings count where necessary, even though they didn't last year? Your wording seems to suggest so.

It obviously wouldn't affect many riders, but would, for example, Renat Gafurov use his last 4 meetings for Swindon to go with his 24 for Poole? If so, it seems strange given that didn't apply similarly last year. But if not, it makes the start-2010 cut-off incredibly arbitrary.

I quite like the idea of rolling averages but I think once a season is complete, it should only be that season's meetings that count for a current average (a rider could still have an average based purely on an earlier season if he hadn't ridden enough meetings in that last season).

So 500cc - I agree with you. What Dave appears to be saying is the current system seems to over-benefit riders on an upward curve (e.g. Darcy Ward, who is clearly one of the world's best riders, but gets his average reduced by results from two years ago) and over-penalise riders on a downward curve.

Oh and one more thought - I thought the 28 and 38 were based on "whole" seasons. But next year the PL will have 26 league meetings plus 10 "early-season competition" meetings, excluding later rounds, cup, play-offs etc which shouldn't count. So will they still use 38?

Edited by Khabiboulin

Thanks Dave. But does that mean 2009 (and earlier) meetings count where necessary, even though they didn't last year? Your wording seems to suggest so...........

The earliest start date for all Rolling Averages is 2010. Assessed riders who did not achieve 4H & 4A in a previous season will still be on their assessed averages until they achieve 4H 4A in the current season.

As far as I am aware it is 28/38 (EL/PL) matches.

ATB

Dave

No wonder new fans are hard to come by and old fans are walking away. Its a train wreck of a rule that doesnt really give a true reflection of anything meaningful. How can you take for example 13 2010 meetings and 13 2011 meetings and claim that gives you a fair avg for 2012.

Yet again this shows the BSPA is out dated and out of touch. They are in it for the good of their own clubs not the sport as a whole. Its abit more proof that we need an independent body free of club influence to govern the sport.

No wonder new fans are hard to come by and old fans are walking away. Its a train wreck of a rule that doesnt really give a true reflection of anything meaningful. How can you take for example 13 2010 meetings and 13 2011 meetings and claim that gives you a fair avg for 2012.

Yet again this shows the BSPA is out dated and out of touch. They are in it for the good of their own clubs not the sport as a whole. Its abit more proof that we need an independent body free of club influence to govern the sport.

Well said, this way of calculating a meaningful average is so far off the mark its laughable. What do I suggest, all said in a previous post.

I can confirm that the promoters have decided that Rolling Averages, (which initially had a start dating from the 2010 season avearges) will continue in the same vein. All rolling averages will be compiled from a rider's last 28 (EL) or 38 (PL) matches irrespective of how many years that may encompass.

For example Eddie Kennett's RA for the start of 2012 will be his 16 completed matches from 2011 plus his last 12 matches from 2010.

But will the 12 matches from 2010 be taken to balance the number of home/away matches - or will it just arbitrarily be the last 12? Could well make a difference ...

But will the 12 matches from 2010 be taken to balance the number of home/away matches - or will it just arbitrarily be the last 12? Could well make a difference ...

In Kennetts case, just the last 12 meetings from 2010.

In the previous years a rider may have had an imbalance in Home and Away matches due to injury, GP's etc.

ATB

Dave