British Speedway Forum
Gambo

Rolling Averages

Does open up some 4H 4A manipulation possibilities though....

just say any redeclaration must be under a 43 point limit. That includes if you replace a rider with a lower averaged one. Job done.
  • Like 1

just say any redeclaration must be under a 43 point limit. That includes if you replace a rider with a lower averaged one. Job done.

I see your point and that lower limit will be in place it seems but I was looking at a different point.

If a side were to lose each of their first 4 away matches by say 20/30 rather than 10 then the redeclaration will have more flexilbility whatever the limit is.

With a 'brand new' average being acheived from those first 8 meetings rather than a rolling 20 the impact of any reduction would be greater.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

That doesn't address the situation where after so few meetings some riders will be on false averages. Similar happened last year where some draft riders had an 8+ average after the first few meetings..

Granted, reserves have tougher rides in the new (old) format, but if some teams have cannonfodder at #7 is it quite possible that some reserves could put two or three points on their average in the first 8 meetings.

Another change that doesn't seem to have been thought through.

• Like 1

I wonder if the BSPA/SCB will take the overall team averages of the Championship teams after 4 home and 4 away meetings and make that figure the 'new' (reduced from 50 points) team average for Premiership clubs.??

The Championship teams could well have averages above 44-45 points after 8 meetings and it would be a little silly for them to have a higher average than the reduced Premiership figure!!

ps. Do League Cup and Elite Shield meetings count towards the Premiership averages?

I still stand by my view in that if you raced in the EL, you achieved that average to be converted by 1.4 for team building purposes as you raced under that race format, f you want to continue in the, now, Premiership.

If you only have a PL average, then that was achieved in the present race format, which is to be used in 2017.

For 2017 in the Premiership, once an average has been achieved using the 4H 4A system then a conversion factor of 1.25 is applied (Premiership/Championship = 50/40 = 1.25) for rolling averages.

That doesn't address the situation where after so few meetings some riders will be on false averages. Similar happened last year where some draft riders had an 8+ average after the first few meetings..

Granted, reserves have tougher rides in the new (old) format, but if some teams have cannonfodder at #7 is it quite possible that some reserves could put two or three points on their average in the first 8 meetings.

Another change that doesn't seem to have been thought through.

But my propsal does stop teams replacing riders who get an artificially high average from riding at reserve with a better rider. As they still need to be under 43 points. Basically that rule would discourage teams from "tactical syrengthening" mid season.

Tbh, back in the 80s you didn't have rolling averages and it worked fine.

I see your point and that lower limit will be in place it seems but I was looking at a different point.

If a side were to lose each of their first 4 away matches by say 20/30 rather than 10 then the redeclaration will have more flexilbility whatever the limit is.

With a 'brand new' average being acheived from those first 8 meetings rather than a rolling 20 the impact of any reduction would be greater.

Well yes. That could be done. I recall Cradley doing it in 84 in order to fit simon cross in. But then batch did it with rolling averages in effect in 2015 for Swindon so ward could be fitted.

Tbh I'm not sure how u avoid that though, without using rolling averages with a complicated conversion method.

But my propsal does stop teams replacing riders who get an artificially high average from riding at reserve with a better rider. As they still need to be under 43 points. Basically that rule would discourage teams from "tactical syrengthening" mid season.

But you are also penalising teams who might lose a heatleader to injury.

But you are also penalising teams who might lose a heatleader to injury.

Only successful teams (I. E. those who are averaging above 43). And those teams would still have the option of guests or r/r.

I'd rather that than the current rule, which generally allows stronger teams to strengthen.

Matt Ford confirms Premiership team average from May drops to 42

Matt Ford confirms Premiership team average from May drops to 42

That will be interesting...

So what they are saying is that the difference between a Premiership side & a Championship side is replacing a 2 point rider for a 4 point rider between the two leagues.

There would not be a "cat in hell's" chance there would be a fair challenge between the 2 sides from differing leagues wether a challenge or end of season promotion/relegation play-off.

Does anyone know when new Premiership averages will be issued? Wolves and Somerset have both ridden 4H and 4A but their rider don't seem to have had updated averages yet.

Edited by MattK

I would imagine rolling averages will be back in place and take into account 2017 meetings.

But how many meetings will be used and will the League Cup fixtures count in the Championship....