British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Victorian Title - 27/12/03

Travis McGowan won his fourth Victorian State title in a row at Olympic Park, Mildura last night.

Yes Travis made it four state titles in a row but was the first to admit that Jason Lyons handed the title to him when the ex-Belle Vue Ace fell whilst leading on the last lap.

Lyonsy explained afterwards that he put on a new rear tyre for the final but that gave him problems trying to turn the bike on the bends especially as Travis was pressing him hard for first place.

Those two had topped the qualifying scores with 14 each - Jason dropping his only point to Travis in the opening heat and Travis dropping his point to Kevin Doolan in heat 20.

The latter joined the top two in the final having scored 13 as did Mark Lemon on the same figure and it was Lemmo who claimed the runners up spot with Kevin third and Jason officially placed fourth.

Full result (with heat scores in brackets):

1. Travis McGowan 14

2. Mark Lemon 13

3. Kevin Doolan 13

4. Jason Lyons 14

5. Nathan Hedley 9

6. Chris Ferguson 9

7. Ashley Jones 8

8. Mark Jones 8

9. Joel Parsons 8

10. Robert Ksiesak 5

11. Matt Jones 5

12. Corey Gathercole 4

13. Tyrone Proctor 4

14. Brock Gates 4

15. Paul Bogdanowicz 1

16. Sam Dore 0

Right you forum members - Im off to get another tinnie of Bundy(!) as tis only 3.45am here!!!

Well done Travis

Hard Luck Jason - it was close,

and you have won it several time already :)

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I'll have to buy a laptop to beat Bryn at this rate !!

The meeting didn't start till 8:30 pm'ish as the sun was too strong and they would have been heading directly into it going into turn 1 and the meeting didn't finish until nearly midnight. I was meaning to go to the after meeting celebrations to share a Bundy with Bryn but with the lateness of the hour and the offer of a lift back to my motel I ended up declining.

I have to admit that I was disappointed with the overall quality of the racing. Lots of the heats were from the gate affairs with precious little overtaking unless the rider in front made a mistake. Hightlights were Kevin Doolan's last from the gate effort to win heat 4, and the final where Mark Lemon from gate 4 just got his nose in front going into turn 1 only to have both Lyons and McGowan swoop underneath him.