British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robbo

Ashley Jones

Can any of you Aussies give me some info on how Ashley Jones is doing now?.He rode a few matches at number 3 for Newport Wasps in 2001 but failed to make an impression and as he is still a Wasps asset I would like to see how he is getting on.

Also,is Mark Jones any good and worth a go in British Speedway?,I heard he would come in on a 3 point average in the PL?!.

Cheers

Ashley has been riding well & still think that he could make a good 2nd string. I think that Mark has got a better long term future but as Ashley hasn't got patriality I can't see Mark having it. If he could come in on a 3 point average I am sure that he would have been in England last year. ( but could be wrong)

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I just got back from the Victorian state titles where both Ashley and Mark rode. They both finished equal 7th on 8 points with both recording a zero in their score due to a fall. To be honest I think Ashley's progress has stalled with his activities limited to racing in Australia. I think with consistent extra racing it would certainly improve him and as Marty said he could develop into a useful second string at PL level. I think he got "the rough end of the pineapple" at Newport what with coming back straight after a broken arm and being weighed down with a high average.

Again I agree with Marty when he says Mark has more potential but he too needs a step up in opposition to further his riding.

I wouldn't rule out another local lad called Nathan Hedley either, he goes about his business very quietly and very efficiently. Not sure about his patriality (don't think he has it) but he would be another certainly worth looking at. Last night he finished ahead of both Ashley and Mark on in equal 5th place on 9 points.

Ashley has been riding well & still think that he could make a good 2nd string.

If thats all he has the potential to become then i doubt he has much chance of getting a ride over here.

I wouldn't rule out another local lad called Nathan Hedley either, he goes about his business very quietly and very efficiently. Not sure about his patriality (don't think he has it) but he would be another certainly worth looking at. Last night he finished ahead of both Ashley and Mark on in equal 5th place on 9 points.

Nathen went over 2 years ago & was a mechanic for Jason Lions ?? & had a few 2nd half rides, but as you say he has no patriality.

So now just to drop another name into the hat "Tom Hedley" The best 15 year old rider in Aust at the moment. Should have been an Aust U/16 champion but did not travell all the way to Perth last year, he then pulled out of the 125cc racing so that he could concentrate on his 500. With our stupid rules, when you are 15 you are only allowed to practice on a 500 & can't race. And as all of our competitive racing is only on 125's you never see his name mentioned.

But with my skilled scouting ability :lol: he has got what it takes & flies around Mildura.Can't wait until he is 16 (Janurary I think) only problem is no patriality (??).

As for our juniors I know of a couple of other riders that could be pulling out of the 125's when they turn 15 so they can concentrate on the 500's.

Mark.