British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DutchGrasstrack

World U21 Goes To Argentina

Whatever the reasons, in my opinion, the money in speedway is not big enough to support this miniGP for the U21's. Doesn't matter who it is from the 15+1+2 or similar group of riders attending (Balakovo or Bahia Blanca) someone DEFINATELY will finish in the middle of the rankings and will make the designated 650 euros for his efforts...

Like i said,i can definitely see a few riders pulling out for various reasons if they are not in contention.And if someone has the title sewn up i could see them also pulling out.I hope not.I hope this is a success.But the riders shouldn't be out of pocket on this venture.You only have to see and read about the riders who pull out of travelling to Russia or who don't try to qualify if they know they will be going through to the next meeting in Russia.Happens a fair bit with speedway riders.The Ice Racing guys seem to be ok with the trips though.Marian Kreklau always asked to be given the Russian qualies,rather than Austria or Sweden or wherever!!!!

Whatever the reasons, in my opinion, the money in speedway is not big enough to support this miniGP for the U21's.

It's questionable whether there is really enough money in speedway to support the senior GPs. They'd struggle to stand alone, without the riders getting income from the domestic leagues.

Whatever the reasons, in my opinion, the money in speedway is not big enough to support this miniGP for the U21's. Doesn't matter who it is from the 15+1+2 or similar group of riders attending (Balakovo or Bahia Blanca) someone DEFINATELY will finish in the middle of the rankings and will make the designated 650 euros for his efforts...

Some would say if a young rider is serious about a career, he has to invest, he has to work to get sponsors, he has to accept that free holidays must be earned. Try and get up the ladder, or just play around at the bottom...

Not me obviously mad0025.gif

Some would say if a young rider is serious about a career, he has to invest, he has to work to get sponsors, he has to accept that free holidays must be earned. Try and get up the ladder, or just play around at the bottom...

I agree on all that, but still think that a change of this size (going from oneoff to three and now seven!) needs changes on the financial side as well.

Kauko Nieminen was drawed to Balakovo last year for the raceoff in in the GP qualis and he said there would have been flights for him and a mechanic (+engine) available for around 2000 euros while the winning prize money was 2300 euros. He was told about a local frame for him to use but later that said frame was nowhere to be found. Driving to Balakovo from Seinäjoki Finland was 3500 km each way and to do that in the middle of the season is a no go. On top of the time it takes alone there's all kinds of insurances that are all VERY specific when Russia is the target of your travel. I guess I dont have to mention that they are not cheap either as around 1000 euros was mentioned. One of the Polish riders was held at the border for 20 hours basically for fun. A joint venture of all the riders gathering their gear somewhere and the local club taking them to the track was also proposed, but the locals did not want to take the risk.

And before mark246 says all this is not a problem for ice racers, I know that. But then again ice racers ride a LOT less that the speedway riders that are in these competitions.

Don't meetings there go on into the early hours of the morning?

As for Bavarian's question, it could easily be Brandon. I think Brandon was scheduled for one this season, but it was switched to Wimborne Road while the future of Brandon's club was in doubt.

Isn't Bahia Blanca in Argentina like Western Springs in Auckland, New Zealand (site for possible 2012 GP) primarily a midget car track? Speedway is moving in with new bedfellows - so to speak. :lol:

Edited by speedyguy

Isn't Bahia Blanca in Argentina like Western Springs in Auckland, New Zealand (site for possible 2012 GP) primarily a midget car track? Speedway is moving in with new bedfellows - so to speak. :lol:

You are right, the track at Aldea Romana, a suburb of Bahia Blanca, is primarily a midget car track and belongs to the Club Midgistas del Sur. The speedway motorcycles used to race at a different venue in the town (the Club Dublin's Carlos Gertiser Stadium in the quarter of San Martin). This was the traditional home for solo speedway in Bahia Blanca for next to half a century. But this venue has become run down in recent years and would need major improvements to pass the stricter safety regulations now.

The Federation decided it was better to join forces with the midget car club and use the same track for cars and bikes. Seemingly in Argentina, unlike in Aussie or NZ, there don't seem to be any problems for the bikes to run on the same track surface as the cars.

Some very interesting info above and thanks to all for it. I've always watch the Argentinian clips on You Tube every so often. They certainly seem to attract good crowds too.

I so wish the Speedway Star would take a leaf out of the 'World Soccer' magazine and do a feature over several pages on the sport in a particular country once a month. First one ARGENTINA!

Edited by manchesterpaul

I so wish the Speedway Star would take a leaf out of the 'World Soccer' magazine and do a feature over several pages on the sport in a particular country once a month. First one ARGENTINA!

Fully agreed, but then the Star could take a leaf of World Soccer in so many ways...