British Speedway Forum

Good entertaining meetng tonight played out in front of a pretty decent crowd. More there than I expected to be honest.

Some very good racing in a fairly deep track with plenty of dirt down. Team GB rode their luck but nearly everyone in the stadium was happy with the result of a GB win.

I thought it would be an easy win for the Aussies but a couple of non decisions from the ref helped GB over the line. In heat 5 I think, Ward and Kennett clashed at the first bend sending Ward right out of it, and then Watt played his part by blocking Ward making an attempt at the brits by blocking him at every bend! Ward finally got through on the last lap and missed out on second by half a bike. Should have definately been all 4 back.

A similar thing happened in heat 11.

Heat 12 was the turning point. Doyle led for a lap but Woffinden dived under him into bend one lap two and Doyle flew into the fence still with his bike. After a lengthy delay he was off to hospital. The delay of 40 minutes changed the meeting with a 5-1 in the same heat, Schlein unable to do what he did first time of asking. In heat 13 the Poole pairing smoked the Brits and Batchelor got between the Brits to make a last heat decider. Harris, flying all night bar one race, gated on a track that had gone dusty due to the long delay and we all cheered him home for a team GB win.

A good meeting and worth the admission money. If it's as good on Friday the fans are in for a treat.

Ward was a bit of a loose cannon all night; he has so much ability it's almost as if feels capable of extricating himself from any situation successfully. He was very lucky not to wipe out Nicholls in heat one when losing control out of turn four. It got him the win, too, as Nicholls had to back off to avoid the carnage although Ward apologised immediately afterwards.

As for "Woffinden dived under" Doyle into bend one, come come. Woffinden had got the line and the drive out of four, got his nose fractionally ahead down the home straight and Doyle, very bravely to my mind, refused to yield as they approached turn one. The inevitable contact happened and the man on the outside, as per usual, got the short end of the stick. A racing incident, not that it hurts any the less for that and best wishes to him.

But an excellent meeting, arguably the best I've seen this season. Startling level of commitment from both sides; I'm sure we've all seen the odd bore-fest at this level but this was an absolute belter.

Surprise win for the Brits :t: , thought they would be shafted by the Dorset rooboys. Well done GB, especially Bomber the British bulldog, seems to love the Poole track. Does anyone have points scorers? Shame there is no 2nd. test at the Stade de Lite tonight, would have been a decent crowd in this fine weather. Good luck at Lakeside.

Edited by keef

Well done the Brits on the Aussies home track!

Was Ward as out of control as people tell me and why the balls up with the ambulances?

Surprise win for the Brits :t: , thought they would be shafted by the Dorset rooboys. Well done GB, especially Bomber the British bulldog, seems to love the Poole track. Does anyone have points scorers? Shame there is no 2nd. test at the Stade de Lite tonight, would have been a decent crowd in this fine weather. Good luck at Lakeside.

The Aussies had no chance of winning with the inconsistant Watt in their team,to get two lasts on his home track is pitiful.

I was not there but my explanation of why there was only one ambulance is that it wasn't really an International meeting in the true sense of the word.Just an open meeting between two countries.Sad,but true.

Lakeside Hammers co-promoter Jon Cook is urging men, women and kids to get down to the home of the Lakeside Hammers tomorrow (Friday 3rd June) to get right behind Team GB in their bid to make it two wins out of two over the Aussies in the Ashes series. That follows their stunning win in the first match at Poole last night.

And he and co-promoter Stuart Douglas are banking on the youth of today to cheer their nation to victory, giving the first 100 of them through the gates FREE Union Jack Flags AND, to help their parents, offering a fantastic 'Kids for a Quid' scheme.

Yes kids from 6 to 16 inclusive, accompanied by a paying adult will be admitted to tomorrow's meeting for a mere QUID! Under 6 year olds, again accompanied by an adult, will be admitted FREE.

Going to come along? Why not? and WHO's going to win

Well done the Brits on the Aussies home track!

Was Ward as out of control as people tell me and why the balls up with the ambulances?

I worry about Ward at the moment, he is so quick and very obviously in the groove where he seems fearless and able to pull off great moves. Fantastic to - however I just get the feeling he is right on the ragged edge and not to far away from a big off. I hope he continues to be quick but without taking any further risks.

Not sure about how far away the hospital is and why the ambulance took so long - but St Johns do a great service, just a shame there wasn't 2 ambulances or one that could have been brought in as soon as the first one knew it was going to go.

Anyway, despite the ambulance delay, it was a great meeting and a very un-expected result. I thought twice about going - anticipated a real stuffing from the Aussie team (even more so after Heat 2) and some less than exciting racing but was really glad I did make the trip. Lots of surprises - 1. The commitment from all the riders was tremendous - much higher than expected. 2. Some great performances from the un-fancied guys that made the difference - particularly Danny King and Ben Barker - gone up a lot in my estimation (and yes thats from a Poole fan!). 3. The Poole guys not running away with it (very strange feeling not cheering for Holder, Ward etc). 4. Troy Batchelor not making much of an impact.

Also great to see the form that Edward Kennett is in at the moment and Tai racing again (although he did look in a lot of pain at the end). All in all a great evenings entertainment - would recommend that anyone having doubts about going to Lakeside should give it go - if its anything like last night you won't be disappointed.

As ever enjoyed the visit to Wimborne Road, decent sized crowd and good commitment from both teams.

Ambulance situation not ideal, but same at most tracks unless SKY are there.

Surprised that Middlo gave Bridger 4 rides, with the reserves doing so well. Also seemed that Phil Morris was working harder with the team than Middlo, is Morris number 2 to Middlo?

very good meeting indeed. nice to see us beating the ones from down under.

even better seeing mr harris wipp holder and co after the local promoter said he was crap B)

Wonder if GB would have won if the Ozzies were at full strength??? :nono: Mr Crump in case anybody wondered who was missing :t:

Wonder if GB would have won if the Ozzies were at full strength??? :nono: Mr Crump in case anybody wondered who was missing :t:

would of still won as he is on the way down now :lol: thought he didnt want to ride for aus anymore now B)

I was not there but my explanation of why there was only one ambulance is that it wasn't really an International meeting in the true sense of the word.Just an open meeting between two countries.Sad,but true.

To put the record straight, the delay wasn't due to only having one ambulance, it was to do with the track doctor accompanying Doyle to the hospital. The alternative was to wait for an NHS ambulance and the inevitable further delay handing over from track doc to the paramedics so the decision was made to take Jason straight there - whether it saved any time in the end is a moot point. Some new procedure in force at Poole A&E (or more generally perhaps) - for those at the Cov match the A&E ambulance was called and the meeting wasn't able to restart until the doc had handed over the rider to the paramedics and was 100% available to the speedway again.

• Like 1

To put the record straight, the delay wasn't due to only having one ambulance, it was to do with the track doctor accompanying Doyle to the hospital. The alternative was to wait for an NHS ambulance and the inevitable further delay handing over from track doc to the paramedics so the decision was made to take Jason straight there - whether it saved any time in the end is a moot point. Some new procedure in force at Poole A&E (or more generally perhaps) - for those at the Cov match the A&E ambulance was called and the meeting wasn't able to restart until the doc had handed over the rider to the paramedics and was 100% available to the speedway again.

Happens at Newport as well rabbit,all to do with paperwork,and the like.

Takes ages so it seems,judging by the amount of `Bow that`s left in me glass :lol:

Nice to see you`re still alive and kicking.

Absolutely disagree that Doyle's crash was a turning point. It affected that heat only. They were going to put him in heat 14 for Batchelor too but Batchelor came second in that so it didn't impact that. Once Britain caught back up after the disastrous first two heats it was nip and tuck - there were no turning points. Australia got a 5-1 in heat 13 so how can heat 12 have been a turning point?

And why can't Poole have two ambulances, or at least something that allows injuries to be dealt with quicker? With the interval as well, we had one lap's racing in an hour. Out of four meetings that I've travelled to Poole for this year, two have had major delays for injuries (and there was a third that I didn't go to, on Sky - any more that I'm unaware of?). Yes, riders need attention when they get hurt and in no way do I begrudge them that (best wishes to Doyle) but you can't expect the paying public to stand around doing nothing for an hour in half your meetings. The speakers were virtually inaudible last night too, so the procession of gap-filling interviews didn't help at all.

Edited by Khabiboulin

I dont go to Poole much these days as it always seems to me its a gate and go track with the first in to the first bend usually winning. Remember watching Arena up there a few years ago when Rickardson rode for the Hammers and even he couldnt over take when he missed the start, but yeaterday was completley different. That was the best meeting I have seen at Poole for a long long time, some of the passing moves around turns 2 and 4 were breath taking. People have said that the Aussies didnt ride that well, but I think it was the Brits who rode them out of it. I thought Eddie Kennett was awsome and the whole side rode well. Felt sorry for Lewis as I thought he was worth more than the point he got, messed up by his partner in one race, made the wrong decision when changing line in another and in his last ride really impeded by one of the opposition who lifted coming out of turn two, nearly wiping him out as he was winding it on round the boards. Glad I went, shame about Doyley having an off in his last ride as he was going well. All round good meeting with good result in the end. But dont they ever drag it on at Poole ( not counting the Ambo situation)