British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest albert

Summer Racing In Australia

Guest albert

I had the pleasure of meeting and watching Jason Crump at the Gold Coast speedway the other day. His only appearance in Queensland this summer was brilliant. It was much appreciated by us that he would go to the expense and effort to ride in Australia. I am a 46y/o veteran rider and i follow the gp's on fox tv.

I took my wife to the pits to see the professional riders of today and was delighted by the friendliness of Jason Crump and other professionals. Watch out next year for young Aussie 16y/o Troy Batchelor who will be on loan from Poole to Isle of White. Cheers Albert.

Agreed on both counts Albert,

Crump is a fine ambassader when he returns home, he has often appeared at the Gold Coast circuit for minor events, and gladly signs autographs and poses for photographs.

Nice to see a different side of Jason Crump to that witnessed on Sky TV when the dummy spitting often takes centre stage.

As for young Batchelor, only time will tell, but early indications are that he could be one of the next top line Aussies to strut there stuff on the World stage, he certainly showing bags of potential for someone so young and fresh out of the Junior scene.

I think Australia needs a few more like him with the likes of Todd Wiltshire stepping down.

Guest albert

Next Saturday night at the Gold Coast is Round on of the Aussie titles. What a night this should be Sullivan, Adams, Wiltshire and many more goers. The Gold coast track has one down hill offcambered corner that sorts the very best out and often produces excellent racing when in good condition. Australian speedway struggles as a result of poor media coverage. Purely a result of economics in a country with such a low population. Just a thought i had the other day to perhaps foster growth in solo racing was for a class to be introduced with an engine that is more relialble and thus more economical to own and race. Many manufacturers can make engines that get flogged days and weeks and even years without the expensive rebuilds that we are subject to with current engines that we use. I am currently looking at a $2500 complete rebuild on a jawa 898 upright, that does include head work etc.

Karting racing in aussie gained many more competitors when they regulated engine classes to a more sustainable and reliable model. Sure we should maintain high performance engines for the top levels. But most novices and most punters dont belong this catagory. We are seeing heaps of youngsters getting into shortcircuit in aussie and i am sure that they would ride sliders if the sliders were more reliable and hence economical to use. I know that economics control production and i dont expect that the japs will venture into such a small market but surely jawa could do something in the intrest of supporting the entry level young riders and there dads that pay the bills. Does any one else see the potential here?

Next Saturday night at the Gold Coast is Round on of the Aussie titles. What a night this should be Sullivan, Adams, Wiltshire and many more goers. The Gold coast track has one down hill offcambered corner that sorts the very best out and often produces excellent racing when in good condition. Australian speedway struggles as a result of poor media coverage. Purely a result of economics in a country with such a low population. Just a thought i had the other day to perhaps foster growth in solo racing was for a class to be introduced with an engine that is more relialble and thus more economical to own and race. Many manufacturers can make engines that get flogged days and weeks and even years without the expensive rebuilds that we are subject to with current engines that we use. I am currently looking at a $2500 complete rebuild on a jawa 898 upright, that does include head work etc.

Karting racing in aussie gained many more competitors when they regulated engine classes to a more sustainable and reliable model. Sure we should maintain high performance engines for the top levels. But most novices and most punters dont belong this catagory. We are seeing heaps of youngsters getting into shortcircuit in aussie and i am sure that they would ride sliders if the sliders were more reliable and hence economical to use. I know that economics control production and i dont expect that the japs will venture into such a small market but surely jawa could do something in the intrest of supporting the entry level young riders and there dads that pay the bills. Does any one else see the potential here?

Yes!

Regards.

I'm not a Crumpy fan but I am impressed he made the effort to appear for his Aussie fans especially after the distastrous end of the season he had and all the trouble with the death threats. Maybe hes not sooo bad after all... ;)