British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BrizHeathen

Brisbane/gold Coast - Australia

The Brisbane Exhibition Ground speedway is without doubt amongst the finest speedway venues in the world, yet it hasn't seen any on track action for quite a while.

This is a venue better than many of those that have staged GP's in recent years.

The reson for this post?

Next Saturday night the Ekka will host a stadium Moto X event which will no doubt pull in a huge crowd whilst just an hour down the road the first round of the newly formatted three round Australian Speedway Championship takes place at a venue with a fantastic racing track but without the fine specatator facilities and tradition the Ekka can boast.

Now I'm a huge fan of the Gold Coast speedway at Labrador but what a shame Speedway appears lost to a venue such as the Ekka.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Indeed a wonderful venue BH.

You made me go and look through my old programs and find the one when I went to the Ekka in January 1996, It was the International Masters series and the field included Tony Rickardsson, Simon Wigg, Sam Ermolenko, Craig Boyce, Jason Crump, Leigh Adams, Jan Staechmann, Peter Karlson, Greg Bartlett, Marvyn Cox, Ryan Sullivan, Charles Ermolenko, Olli Tyrvainen, Jiri Stancl and Andy Smith with local riders completing the fields at each venue. Certainly a night of speedway to enjoy. My main recollection was how narrow the track seemed to be, I don't know if that was an optical illusion or not.

You were correct Sir Lunchalot, the Ekka was very narrow for such a large fast circuit with a concrete wall. I think it was quoted as being 400 metres but only 10 metres wide.

Imagine how amazing the racing was when the likes of the late great Simon Wigg and Sam Ermerlenko were seen scraping the concrete whilst battling it out, in meetings such as the ones you mention.

Edited by BrizHeathen

Guest Sir Lunchalot

You got me going with your earlier post BH. Got the program out for my earlier post and then read the whole thing again. It's interesting to note the venues for the series and even though it was only 8 years ago how many still hold speedway. Admittedly some were car tracks that never really have hosted bikes.

The venues were

Ekka (x2) - no longer run bikes

Bunbury WA - no (?)

Claremont WA - closed

Mildura Vic - yes

Wayville SA - yes but not on a regular basis

Parramatta NSW - cars

Avalon Vic - cars

Gunnedah NSW - no (?)

Newcastle Motordrome NSW - no (?)

G'day fellas, I'm heading up to Labrador for the 1st round of the Oz titles. It will be my first time there, not exactly sure of its location as yet but judging from your post BH, I should pack the chairs & a blanket for the kids. Does anyone know who has been given the wild card for this round & the 3rd round? Ben Shields was given the wildcard for rd 2, Gosford.

Edited by poona

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I'm heading up that way too Poona, I would kick myself if I didn't go to Labrador at least once and this is as good a time as any !! With a bit of luck I might even run into a few forum members.

I've pencilled myself in for all three rounds and then the Oz U21's the week after that so the good old credit card looks like it's in for a huge battering.

Hopefully I can meet some of you, hoping to get there early and claim my usual spot at the top row of the stand nearest the start line (I'll be in a blue Club CH shirt).

Looks like there will be a few faces to put to names, looking forward to it.

Don't think you'll need a blanket or chairs Poona, I'm assuming there will be extra temporary seating, otherwise I have no idea where they will put everyone.

My advice to anyone going is to get there very early, parking and ideal viewing locations will be at a premium.

Thanks BH, looking forward to the night. Glad about the chairs mate, the 4b will be packed tight as is. Might see you fellas there- BH, SL & all. My shout......

PS. whos got the wild cards

Edited by poona

Does anyone know who has been given the wild card for this round & the 3rd round? Ben Shields was given the wildcard for rd 2, Gosford.

I believe the wild card for Labrador is Dave Booth.

He rides regularly at the track and has done well on previous visits.

Johno, his ol man and big Dan from Warrington left in the early hours of this morning from Perth for the long haul over the Nullabore and up to the Gold Coast - some 4000km's for the 1st round. :blink:

I won't be going to this round but will be at Gosford and Mildura and for one cannot wait. Anyone else apart from the obvious going along to these rounds? Would love to catch up and have a brew or two. :)

Like Lunchy (and a few others I suspect!) I'll be attending all three rounds and look forward to meeting up with everyone.

Ozy, should be at the Mildura round. MA is running a junior training school on the Sunday morning with Leigh Adams which should be good for the kids. Look forward to catching up with you.

Mark.

Guest Sir Lunchalot
Ozy, should be at the Mildura round. MA is running a junior training school on the Sunday morning with Leigh Adams which should be good for the kids. Look forward to catching up with you.

Mark.

Marty

Perhaps you will stay still long enough this time so a bloke can have a fighting chance to enjoy a beer and a chat with you ? :wink:. Seriously though I am looking forward to meeting a few more websliders as well as renewing old acquantainces. Glad nobody has a nickname like Nutz though (sorry Nutz !!) and I don't have to go around asking "are you Nutz?".

Then again perhaps I should carry a copy of the London Times under my arm and wear a carnation in my lapel so people recognise me :)

Glad nobody has a nickname like Nutz though (sorry Nutz !!) and I don't have to go around asking "are you Nutz?".

Ahhhh but it was so much fun asking if they were Nutz :P Well some of the answers were fun :D