British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Hackney Fans Of Yesteryear

While out with the Mrs and a few of our friends on New Years Eve in one of east London’s public houses, had the pleasure [being polite] of speaking to big Fred! For those unaware big Fred was a rather bubbly character who would be on most of the Supporters Club coaches when the Hawks where riding away. Needless to say big Fred still likes his beer!!!! Fred asks to say hello to all the people he new at Hackney.

Other characters are long lost, Bent Handlebars spring to mind, another who would do all the away trips by coach. Left to go to Ireland with a cockney accent, reappeared a couple of years back in London with the broadest Irish accent ever heard! Then of course there was Robbie the Rake, another legend with his welly boots on!

Guest cheetahhawk

Hi Paul,it's good to hear some of our old mates are still around.I haven't seen Big Fred since 1996(London Lions days),nor Robbie the Raker.

Now I live out in the sticks I don't get to see many old Hackney mates but I still get Christmas cards from some of them.

Most people that we were friendly with don't go to speedway now,various reasons mainly lack of Hackney I think. :sad:

Edited by cheetahhawk

What ever happened to the big geezer that used to sell the Mail at Hackney and Rye House? never knew his name but he was a graet character

What ever happened to the big geezer that used to sell the Mail at Hackney and Rye House? never knew his name but he was a graet character

I think his name Alf.

cheers Tony