British Speedway Forum
Guest mart W

Another Way Of Rider Control

Guest mart W

I've recently started taking an interest in American Football, and I've found out that they use a system called ' the draft ' to level out team strenghs. Apparently the team with the worse record at the end of the season, the following season gets the first choice of the players moving up from the college teams, second worse gets second choice and so on up untill the champions who have last choice. This is then repeated untill all the teams are comlpete. Now I'm no expert on it but it looks a very good way of stoping a few clubs cornering the market like what happens in soccer.

It's basically a very simple system that could be adapted by Speedway . No points limits, succesfull teams could stay together and the weaker teams are helped.

Just a thought really !!

Edited by mart W

mart W

And what would happen if Carmarthen chose William Lawson who lives in Perth, Scotland ?

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

Matt W - my dad loves American Football and I often watch it, and it really does work, my team the dolphins just pick really bad all the time!

But it could work in Speedway, plus it coudl also avoid many riders being out of work.

Guest maddriver

Think Tsunami has hit the nail on the head!!

mart W

And what would happen if Carmarthen chose William Lawson who lives in Perth, Scotland ?

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

Only riders prepared to go where they are drafted should apply to be in the draft.

My old neighbour Les Collins home team for years was hardly in his backyard. He has been one of many over the years prepared to travel.

Guest mart W

It was just an idea, it would have to modified to take into account things like that, but only riders wanting to move would be drafted, or new Swedes Danes or Aussies, & Riders wanting to move up or down a leauge.

Guest dunni

it should be like football when your contract is up they shold be aloud to move freely :wink::wink:

Yeh you can tell your new to NFL! lol

The draft is a joke!

Eli Manning (number 1pick this year) was picked by the chargers, he rejected them so he could go to the Giants! because they will offer him a better contract and most likly a better prospects of winning a superbowl.

The winner of the superbowl can have 1st pick, the team can trade players for that right! therefore a power team like poole could trade a 2nd or 3rd heat leader for another Lindback from a club like Coventry who needs a new sensation

It would never work! sorry! NFL is a joke any way all on drugs! my team is the Cowboys been watchin the sport since i was 7!! :D

Also speedway doesn't havea college system! A new rider could come in at athe age of 25- to 16 like Morton! unless we start having a rider must be 20 to go pro- and if you dont make it you out (like the NFL)!

It was just an idea, it would have to modified to take into account things like that, but only riders wanting to move would be drafted, or new Swedes Danes or Aussies, & Riders wanting to move up or down a leauge.

A draft system is a reasonable way of distributing the talent around, but it relies on the fact that a lot of upcoming players are competing for only a few team places. In speedway, I simply don't think there are enough riders wanting to come into the BEL, either from the BPL or abroad, to make it effective. In fact, if promoters didn't actively go out and look for new talent, it would be a real struggle to fill the teams.