British Speedway Forum
harryiggy

Hull Vikings: Will They Ever Be Back?

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything of the hull vikings situation? will they ever be back? :)

I know f/call about their situation, but I hope they are back sooner rather than later.

you never know. long time defunct clubs like newport, weymouth, plymouth, birmingham, scunthorpe, st.austell, wimbledon and leicester have come and gone over the last few years. you just have to keep the faith! :unsure:

I am in Hull a few times in the year and the feeling I get is that Hull Council are not interested.

I think the nail was hit on the head when they built the KC stadium speedway could have been added to that but was ruled out. Really don't know where they could stage it now.

The Vikings came oh-so-heartbreakingly-and-tantilisingly-close to 'doing a Lecester' a few years ago, prevented only be a very last minute hitch. Under the 'no new is good news' heading, I can vouch that there are people still working very hard indeed to ensure that speedway does hopefully one day return to Hull. Fingers crossed....

Hopefully, speedway will return here someday, as with all towns and cities with defunct tracks.

you never know. long time defunct clubs like newport, weymouth, plymouth, birmingham, scunthorpe, st.austell, wimbledon and leicester have come and gone over the last few years. you just have to keep the faith! :unsure:

Good point, just hoping they do come back, as im only a teenager, one of my 'lifelong ambitions' is to bring it back!;)

Very true!

While reopening at former centres is very difficult, it does happen from time to time!

Aparently theirs people still on the case, so finger crossed its happens sooner rather than later!

I think Hull speedway failed because in their last 3-4 seasons the Vikings were run by promotors who didn't have the necessary clout to do it properly much like Oxford did and the stadium owners got a bad impression.

A person mentioned that Hull Council aren't interested because speedway wasn't included at the KC stadium. In fairness theirs been loads of new football grounds built over the last 16years and how many have included speedway?

None is the answer because the football clubs don't want a shale track around their pitch which puts the fans further away from the pitch. I'm sure Hull City didn't want a shale track around their pitch and this probably had a lot to do with it even though the KC is a council stadium. I recall when Southampton movd to their St Marys stadium in 2002 the possibility of speedway being included was put to them with even Southampton speedway legend Bary Briggs putting a word in yet they still wern't interested!

Unfortunately football is massive business while speedway in most cases isn't so therefore football clubs aren't interested. Even in the 1960s and 1970s very few football grounds had speedway tracks and few would entertain it!

Has the Boulevard, home of Hull speedway from 1971 - 1981 been demolishd yet?

Hull speedway ran by a promotion capable of doing it properly can be successful in the future!

Edited by 25yearfan

I can comfirm that the Boulevard was demolished either late last year or earlier this year....

The KC stadium could be a reasonable venue for a temporary track for a GP quite close to the city centre so a fair few watering holes plus my sister lives near the Humber Bridge so my digs are sorted. On a more realistic note there must be plenty of brownfield sites in the area where something along the lines of Redcar.Scunny etc could be built. Need to have a plan for other things other than speedway at the complex so the council can see some other benefits to the local community.

It would be great if Hull 'Vikings' DID return. :approve:

Would they sign Tony Childs though??.......................... :wink:

I expect there would be a loophole in the overly complex regulations that would no-doubt be around at the time, to allow them an 8-point facility for Mr Childs!