British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Golden Helmet Memories

Does anyone remember the drama of the Jack Parker-Graham Warren clash in 1949? That attracted a record crowd of 41,000 to Perry Barr.

My father was at that meeting, i have the programme

He was standing in a near local crowd of 41,000 which virtually outstrips the semi-international appeal of the Cardiff-staged GP these days. :rolleyes:

He was standing in a near local crowd of 41,000 which virtually outstrips the semi-international appeal of the Cardiff-staged GP these days. :rolleyes:

Yep, happy days!

Does any member recall when Jack Parker's 'best' bike would fail when he approached the start area for a match race defence? Then a rather 'sad looking' bike would be rushed from the pits for him to use and Parker would then go on to win his title defence heats on 'the old cronk'.

Edited by Guest

Does any member recall when Jack Parker's 'best' bike would fail when he approached the start area for a match race defence? Then a rather 'sad looking' bike would be rushed from the pits for him to use and Parker would then go on to win his title defence heats on 'the old cronk'. :icon_smile_clown:

an interesting anecdote, but I don't understand the clown smiley at the end?

Jack Parker was the 'Golden Helmet' match race champion on and off between 1946 and 1947, holding the title through 1948, 1949 and most of 1950, only losing the title at the end of the 1950 season to Aub Lawson. He regained the title in 1951 before losing it to Split Waterman.

With acknowledgments: - http://www.speedwaychampions.com/br-match-race-champs.php

Edited by Guest