Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

What on earth do you do to spend £1k in 3 days in Cardiff.

Me & the Mrs normally get through £300-£400 that weekend including hotel & tickets????????

We tend to 'go large' for the grand prix and only get through about £500.

Sounds like somebody has a nasty drug habit to get through that much.

We tend to 'go large' for the grand prix and only get through about £500.

Bloody hell SC you must get through a few BIG Macs that weekend ;)

We spend about 150 quid, including tickets, progs, transport, bets, Greggs Bakers, drinks.

If we go next year will probably go on one of the Swindon supporters coaches, after trying car and train.

Train tickets from Carlisle £261.00

Hotel Friday/Saturday £365.00

Hotel Sunday £110.00 (included breakfast and evening meal).

Cardiff GP tickets £120.00

Food and drinks 0ver the weekend

Somerset meeting on Friday £20.00 (plus programme/drinks)

It all added up to over £1k.

Ok i could have gone for two nights and not bothered to go to Somerset to save some money...... :neutral:

Ahh, we didn't factor in the absurdity of public transport costing nearly £300!

Ahh, we didn't factor in the absurdity of public transport costing nearly £300!

I could have got cheaper train tickets but that included two stops and over 7 hours of travelling.

Still Undecided about whether to go next year, apart from the expense (over £1k for 2 people, 3 nights)it would mean taking 3 days A/L, thats if i can get the time off next year...?

Don't go for 3 days then. :rolleyes:

I posted on the other thread on this subject (this now seems to be the main one) about the difficulties in booking the tickets I wanted. Online would not let me book a particular block and every time I tried to speak to a human being I was cut off due to 'high call volume'.

Well eventually I got through to a very polite and helpful lady who got me the tickets I wanted and took great delight in telling me that there was no handling charge on my tickets this year. There was however £5+ postage to be paid.

This morning I went on to my BT account online and found out that the phone costs for booking these tickets, including all the times I connected and was cut off came to another £5.

I take it everyone realises that these are premium rate numbers, and even if you have one of these 'all inclusive' BT packages the British GP numbers are still chargeable. Fortunately I got through in about 30 minutes but if you are on longer be aware that it will mount up.

I could have got cheaper train tickets but that included two stops and over 7 hours of travelling.

Not a bash at you my friend, more how ridiculously expensive rail travel can be.

Not a bash at you my friend, more how ridiculously expensive rail travel can be.

I find if you travel alone rail can be cheaper than driving, especially when you take into account parking, etc. But as a family or even a couple it can work out very expensive.

As Long as the Gp Has a GB venue thats fine.

A more Central Venue would be Good!

But Cardiff have made it a exciting day out and put there money into Promoting the sport which can only be a good thing!

Can somebody tell me what ages apply to concession tickets please.

I do not know about kids, but concessions apply to the over 60's only for the lowest priced areas, tried them for the first time yrs ago on the top level and on the fourth bend, we were a little uneasy about the view we would get but it’s fantastic and would not go anywhere else regardless of price and there’s a lift & an escalator to save using the stairs.

Presume these Over 60s concession prices are available at the ticket office on the day too.....havent purchased my tickets yet this year, going to get them on the day. (Hopefully)

Anyone know what the view is like from the very top of the stands???

Is it like watching racing ants or pretty good???