British Speedway Forum

I had my doubts it was infact the british gp at cardiff yesterday,the amount of polish flags flying really out numbered the brits by a long way. Also sources said nearly all the british promotors stayed away.

Is there anywhere in britain that could live up to that stadium and be in a city center, No will it be back next year it seems doubtful as they always plug it on the day.

• Like 1

i'll be honest I don't like the sound of this as it has the potential to upset the apple cart........ it is IMG's baby and cash cow ... and for that income and stability to be placed into question starts putting question marks over the stability of the whole series

Hopefully this is just a case of hardball negotiation

To be honest i dont think many will mind it being moved to another venue. However suggesting Kings Lynn is not an option. It is not big enough to hold such an event.

A few options are available:

Murrayfield - Edinburgh

Wembley - London

02 Arena - London

Hampden Park - Glasgow

However if it is to be moved, id like to see it moved centralish so id like to see it at Old Trafford in Manchester.

Doesn't bother me if it is not at Cardiff anymore, not as great as some make it out to be. Hope the event moves to a track in easterly direction as may stand a (slightly) better chance of going. Kings Lynn would be great venue IMO for a British Grand Prix.

Good stadium at KL but does it hold over 45,000 peeps and have a roof :rolleyes: Wouldn't mind travelling to London, Birmingham, or Manchester, but they will need a roof. Cardiff is an excellent venue.

Nothing mentioned tonight re next year either, normally they announce the date for next year during the meeting.

I'm pretty sure in the past it's not been announced until at least a week after.

I'm pretty sure in the past it's not been announced until at least a week after.

Its usually plugged in the stadium but its announced on Skys coverage the monday after the GP

Doesn't bother me if it is not at Cardiff anymore, not as great as some make it out to be. Hope the event moves to a track in easterly direction as may stand a (slightly) better chance of going. Kings Lynn would be great venue IMO for a British Grand Prix.

Sure, its a good race track, but the stadium is nowhere near big enough. If the British GP goes there, its a major step backwards for the sport.

Edited by BWitcher

Yep. Who the hell wants to go to Glasgow? :unsure:

People up north?????

Same distance as Baadiff for me. Though I really do prefer it where it is. Both, logistically, are a 4 hour hike though.

I'd rather see it at Hampden than if the only GP was to be held at a temporarily enhanced brand new venue in Manchester. It's only 40 miles from my house, Manchester, but if this could end up being our GP venue, I'd give it up for anywhere to be honest.

Surely having the GP at Baadiff is good for the whole city. Hotels, revenue, restaurants and bars???

Wembley also keeps getting mentioned, however, Cardiff should remain the home of the GP, nothing better than setting off knowing that a speedway meeting is actually ON, no matter the weather. The set up, indoor feeling, held in noise due to the indoor acoustics... I hope it's not lost to us.

I can also remember it when it has been confirmed as late as September although most people had taken a guess when booking hotels.

THE fact that the Millennium Stadium is hosting some Olympic soccer next year is muddying the waters a little but why would anyone want to go anywhere else? It is a fantastic show at the Millennium with the 23 races the top billing and a crowd of 43,640 says it all. BSI want it there, the Millennium Stadium want it as do the city of Cardiff. Don't panic, I'm sure they will all get it together.

THE fact that the Millennium Stadium is hosting some Olympic soccer next year is muddying the waters a little but why would anyone want to go anywhere else? It is a fantastic show at the Millennium with the 23 races the top billing and a crowd of 43,640 says it all. BSI want it there, the Millennium Stadium want it as do the city of Cardiff. Don't panic, I'm sure they will all get it together.

Olympic soccer is late-July so not an issue.

I had my doubts it was infact the british gp at cardiff yesterday,the amount of polish flags flying really out numbered the brits by a long way. Also sources said nearly all the british promotors stayed away.

Is there anywhere in britain that could live up to that stadium and be in a city center, No will it be back next year it seems doubtful as they always plug it on the day.

I saw -

Rosco

Middlo

Colin Pratt

Peter Oakes

Pete Simmons

The Russell Brothers

and that's without starting to think about it.

Also - our hotel has not yet been given a date but I really do hope it stays in the City. Yes it is about the GP but the PR that can be done using Cardiff is worth a million in the bank for potential sponsors.

Take any possible future sponsor to Cardiff and they will take in the atmosphere and will hopefully be willing to write a bigger cheque than if at a flat event where the fans don't participate in the 'day' as much!

Cardiff is the showcase even. It would be wrong for it to go.

I saw -

Rosco

Middlo

Colin Pratt

Peter Oakes

Pete Simmons

The Russell Brothers

Dont forget Hoggy!

I saw -

Rosco

Middlo

Colin Pratt

Peter Oakes

Pete Simmons

The Russell Brothers

Also - our hotel has not yet been given a date but I really do hope it stays in the City. Yes it is about the GP but the PR that can be done using Cardiff is worth a million in the bank for potential sponsors.

Take any possible future sponsor to Cardiff and they will take in the atmosphere and will hopefully be willing to write a bigger cheque than if at a flat event where the fans don't participate in the 'day' as much!

Cardiff is the showcase even. It would be wrong for it to go.

David Gordon and Mort were there too.

Olympic soccer is late-July so not an issue.

IT is because the Olympic guys make a number of requirements that will come into effect weeks before any matches are staged at the Millennium. These are, of course, the "London' Olympics!