British Speedway Forum

What an awesome GP. Cardiff yet again rises to the occasion as the pinnacle of the series.

Really? Must have come across better on TV, cos although the cardiff experience is enjoyable, the racing was dull.

Holder clearly the most popular rider there tonight after the Brits.

Only after Hancock & Gollob were out of the equation.

CROWD was just under 38,000 which was about 12 per cent down on last year.

About 8000 under? Thought it looked the lowest crowd at Cardiff for a good few years.

Also, noticed Keith Flint from the Prodigy was interviewed on the screen, but I couldn't hear. Is he a speedway fan? I had no idea!

He's a huge bike fan. Often visits MotoGP races and joins the Eurosport commentary team.

Edited by Wackie

really loved watching this one. Good to see Hans A getting into it. If people didn't like the racing then they're going to be sorely disappointed with speedway anywhere else!

It was good to hear that Greg H offered Chris advice of gates after Greg was out of the running.

Disappointing that the usual negative moaners on this forum try bring in downers on Poole , Middlo, Premier Leauge blah blah. when it's a GP thread.

Congrats to Chris H, handled the track and his interviews extremely well.

• Like 2

After watching an entertaining British GP I was looking forward to it being topped off by seeing the presentation of the trophy's, but no, all we saw was a gentleman walk up to the podium with, I presume the 3rd place trophy and then the programme finished.

They then showed 'bits and pieces' from the meeting. A poor finish to the night. :cry:

We have the Speed Channel feed here in Aus with Fletch and Jan doing the commentating. I am gutted for the Sky viewers not to have seen the entire trophy celebrations like we did here. I did notice that the transmission here over ran into 6am but still managed to show the whole presentation and celebrations with Chris.

Nice piece with Keith Flint from The Prodigy. He said he was a first time viewer to Speedway live and was impressed by the whole package it brought. No breaks and the smell of fuel were his words bless him!!

Keith talked about owning and riding his own racing team for his Enduro bikes. He's actually leading their Championship. We saw Mark Webber and John McGuiness at the meeting on TV, with John doing a really good interview with Brando.

Does Sky Sports News and Sky News in their sports segments actually do anything to promote and cover the British Speedway GP. On Speed Channel here I'd say nearly every commercial it has with the racing coverage they show and promote Speedway for Grand Prix's, Elite Lge and mention Darcy Ward and Chris Holder rather a lot.

Surely someone at Sky can sort out a package on footage and reporting for Speedway at league and GP level to feature in bullitins. I'm not saying all the time, but certainly when it comes to GP's and Monday night racing back home.

Edited by Undercover Elephant

When the entire sporting world wakes up to whats happening with peoples finances and lack of them, then and only then will attendances for all sporting events improve in the UK.

The Bank Holiday staging was a mistake from the start for the Britiish GP, so much going on and to compound matters Swansea playing at home and the Twenty20 Cricket finals in Cardiff. Before all berate me, we all know that many speedway fans, even the diehards do enjoy other sports outside speedway and with so much going on it is understandable that the crowd is down by so many this year.

Moving forward a complete re think on the staging date is necessary, so that it can attract as many supporters as possible and at a particular time that it does not compete against so many other events.

But the most important factor is pricing, this in no uncertain terms has a direct influence on the crowd size. This combined with lack of presentation of the product are main factors in my opinion.

Today a rather insignificant football fixture takes place at Shielfield Park in the Scottish Third Division as far as I am concerned, but it has been brought to my attention at least. Berwick Rangers will play Rangers, the resurected team from the once Scottish giants Rangers. It has captured the attention of all and sundry around Berwick, who will no doubt have a record crowd, the price for a ticket has been stated as £10. Sure some rogues will try to make a fast buck but what a experience of a lifetime for some of the Berwick fans and also some who never normally go.

Bottom line is, a Quarter full stadium at £50 a ticket and poor atmosphere or a full Stadium at £20 a ticket, with the other 75% additional fans is the spending power during their attendance and much more than that, the atmosphere.

But hey, this is never going to happen, this is British Speedway!

When the entire sporting world wakes up to whats happening with peoples finances and lack of them, then and only then will attendances for all sporting events improve in the UK.

The Bank Holiday staging was a mistake from the start for the Britiish GP, so much going on and to compound matters Swansea playing at home and the Twenty20 Cricket finals in Cardiff. Before all berate me, we all know that many speedway fans, even the diehards do enjoy other sports outside speedway and with so much going on it is understandable that the crowd is down by so many this year.

Moving forward a complete re think on the staging date is necessary, so that it can attract as many supporters as possible and at a particular time that it does not compete against so many other events.

But the most important factor is pricing, this in no uncertain terms has a direct influence on the crowd size. This combined with lack of presentation of the product are main factors in my opinion.

Today a rather insignificant football fixture takes place at Shielfield Park in the Scottish Third Division as far as I am concerned, but it has been brought to my attention at least. Berwick Rangers will play Rangers, the resurected team from the once Scottish giants Rangers. It has captured the attention of all and sundry around Berwick, who will no doubt have a record crowd, the price for a ticket has been stated as £10. Sure some rogues will try to make a fast buck but what a experience of a lifetime for some of the Berwick fans and also some who never normally go.

Bottom line is, a Quarter full stadium at £50 a ticket and poor atmosphere or a full Stadium at £20 a ticket, with the other 75% additional fans is the spending power during their attendance and much more than that, the atmosphere.

Berwick Rangers will get a sell out crowd today of 4400,all paying £10.1100 tickets were sold at Berwick with 3300 going up the road to Glasgow.

The crowd at Cardiff seems to get no bigger each year,always around the 40000+ mark,maybe dropping ticket prices would entice a few extra fans but tickets + hotel + food & drink makes it a very expensive trip for your average fan,a fan that has less money to go round than ever before,hopefully BSI will think about that when setting next years prices.

Good racing last night,and a win for Holder tightens things up nicely at the top of the World title charts.Wonder if its an idea to make Cardiff the last round,no chance of a rain-off and the title reaching its climax might get an extra few bums on seats.

Just watched Heat 19 again and the battle with Scott and KK made the difference in the end on making the Semi's for KK. Scott did himself proud once again. This surely seals CH 's fate next season. There is no justification to have him in the Series no matter how much his supporters want to see him succeed. I'm sorry people may disagree with the harsh reality as it stands after Cardiff.

Kind of Speedway related as far as start line girls go for Cardiff, but who was the cute chick in the yellow outfit last night?!!!! She was smoking beautiful!!

Enjoyed the whole day.

Daughter took along her partner, who has only ever been to two speedway meetings (EL) his words "boring", but after last night said he much prefers Cardiff and the GP, says he would defo go again. Really enjoyed it..

Congrats to Holder.

Hope Jason is ok, he looked in some pain ..

Only downside, took an age to get home.....................................

Just watched Heat 19 again and the battle with Scott and KK made the difference in the end on making the Semi's for KK. Scott did himself proud once again. This surely seals CH 's fate next season. There is no justification to have him in the Series no matter how much his supporters want to see him succeed. I'm sorry people may disagree with the harsh reality as it stands after Cardiff.

Kind of Speedway related as far as start line girls go for Cardiff, but who was the cute chick in the yellow outfit last night?!!!! She was smoking beautiful!!

I certainly dont disagree,with you,Harris has virtually no chance of making the top eight now,and cant be considered for a wildcard pick for next year IMO.Maybe a year away from the GPs might acctually help him as performances like last cant do anything for his confidence,and will give him a chance to go for the 2014 series through the qualifiers.

CROWD was just under 38,000 which was about 12 per cent down on last year. But BSI were happy in view of all the circumstances ... late August staging, Bank Holiday weekend, cricket in town, no hotels at a reasonable cost, people taking late holidays after Olympics.

Date for 2013 will be announced on Sky on Monday.

Yeah just under 38000 like 25000.

The place holds 72,500 and was no way near half full.

I only watch on TV true but I have eyes.

Any crowd figures related to speedway in this country should always be viewed with suspicion. :)

Even in the days of the '40000+ crowd I doubt many really believed that.

In the decade it's held the SGP I doubt there has been more than 40 on more than 1 or 2 occasions.

Edited by pandorum

Why does the SKY coverage start so early to be filled with a quarter of an hours worth of rubbish and THEN when the presentations are on it is cut off !!! It doesn`t make sense to me . :mad:

• Like 1

Lot of sense spoken here about the staging date this year. Think it had to change because of the Olympics. Back to normal next year unless I'm wrong.

Not so much sense spoken when discussing Rangers though! ;)

"the once Scottish giants Rangers." Corn flakes spluttering everywhere!

THE Scottish Giants don't you mean?

35,000 season tickets sold, sell out games away and 49K at home and they're not giants?!!!

:nono:

Berwick Rangers will get a sell out crowd today of 4400,all paying £10.1100 tickets were sold at Berwick with 3300 going up the road to Glasgow.

The crowd at Cardiff seems to get no bigger each year,always around the 40000+ mark,maybe dropping ticket prices would entice a few extra fans but tickets + hotel + food & drink makes it a very expensive trip for your average fan,a fan that has less money to go round than ever before,hopefully BSI will think about that when setting next years prices.

Good racing last night,and a win for Holder tightens things up nicely at the top of the World title charts.Wonder if its an idea to make Cardiff the last round,no chance of a rain-off and the title reaching its climax might get an extra few bums on seats.

Could back fire Screm big time if series decided by that stage. I'd imagine they need a good crowd at Cardiff to subsidise some of the other venues.

25,000, 30,000, 35,000, 40,000!

What does it matter?

Are we speedway fans or accountants (God forbid!!)

We saw some good racing, were entertained by the best speedway riders in the world and should have enjoyed ourselves - whether there or on the TV.

Who says we British are moaners? :blink:

Drab meeting overpriced with more and more empty seats each year. When will bsi learn that when supply far out strips demand they are charging far too much. Speedway is not formula one or moto GP. Ten quid programme. Not a value for money day out. The only racing at cardiff is when a rider hits a hole or rut and they go out of control. Speedway is about racing not just a crowd and a load of air horns. Had that GP been anywhere else it would have been labelled rubbish. Crowds on the decline for years now irrespective of what the official attendance says. Fair play to Scott gave his all and apart from crump hitting the rut he would have made the simi so pat on the back for Scott. My love affair with Cardiff ended years ago and six hours to get there from Essex (210 miles all motorway) didnt help

• Like 1

Cardiff is the annual spectacle in my opinion, last night a smooth track unlike many years ago shows that they are imprving the creation of artifical tracks year and year.

Some excellent racing and fromt he start we didn't have all four hugging the white line - thought the track favoured the brave and the racers and some of the action on the third and fourth bend was outstanding, Freddie last going in and first out for intsnace.

Date was fixed due to the Olympics and the preparation needed beforehand, did the clash with the cricket affect things? Well we will not know that nor will we know whether the football match at Swanse did either. Perhaps to my mind, the Bank Holiday staging was always going to be a potential problem with this being the last chance of the summer (yes, what summer) to have a break coupled of course the price.

The cost of tickets apart form the lowest priced tickets seems to only go one way, the discount offered for early birds just brings the price back to last year's price, ok, better than paying the increased price for sure. However, the East stand at the upper level is nigh on empty again, why not grab the bull by the horns BSI / IMG and promote cheap tickets - why not sell early? Offer seats in the upper tier for £20 and see the result?

The accommodation is out of their hands, cost will always be dictated by supply and demand, witness how wrong hoteliers got it by pricing themselves too high and left with empty rooms by the score, why not bulk book rooms themselves at the big hotels at a fixed rate? The accommodation issue has been attempted to be addressed by the earlier start time - bring it forward to say 16.00, would that work?

All that said, I'm going to be getting my ticket for next year as soon as!

Yeah just under 38000 like 25000.

The place holds 72,500 and was no way near half full.

I only watch on TV true but I have eyes.

Any crowd figures related to speedway in this country should always be viewed with suspicion. :)

Even in the days of the '40000+ crowd I doubt many really believed that.

In the decade it's held the SGP I doubt there has been more than 40 on more than 1 or 2 occasions.

I was there and counted 37,821. The football season and hols must have affected the attendance. There were 2 cricket fans in front of us, who have never been to speedway, but as their team was knocked out decided to give it a go. Good to see a few thousand Rico shirts, but they could have had a one-minute silence. Until we have a decent Brit the crowds will be lower IMO.

The streets were definitely quieter around the stadium. A lot of traffic on the M4 going down.

Much prefer watching a Swindon league meeting, but nothing compares to the Cardiff atmosphere, presentation, and comfort.

Paid tenner to park in Park and Ride, and there were no bloody lights in car park. Finished after 9 so train wasn't option this year.

He did raise his voice at times and spent one race getting Nicki and Emil muddled up, but Jan kept correcting him!

Overall a very enjoyable listen. Perhaps it was on 5live Extra?

Good point.

Hans Andersen looked a different rider from the one I saw struggle at Swindon on Thursday.

Thats because he had a bloody swollen sore elbow at The Abbey, and said he shouldn't have ridden. Hope he will be ok for tomorrow against Lakeside. Was brilliant in first 2 races last night. Creditable 10 points

Edited by new cross robin

Drab meeting overpriced with more and more empty seats each year. When will bsi learn that when supply far out strips demand they are charging far too much. Speedway is not formula one or moto GP. Ten quid programme. Not a value for money day out. The only racing at cardiff is when a rider hits a hole or rut and they go out of control. Speedway is about racing not just a crowd and a load of air horns. Had that GP been anywhere else it would have been labelled rubbish. Crowds on the decline for years now irrespective of what the official attendance says. Fair play to Scott gave his all and apart from crump hitting the rut he would have made the simi so pat on the back for Scott. My love affair with Cardiff ended years ago and six hours to get there from Essex (210 miles all motorway) didnt help

I thought that I had been at a different meeting to eveyone else until I read this posting. Atmosphere was great as always, and I thought the presentation was good, it was the lowest crowd ever in my opinion. With huge swathes of empty seats they couldn't even keep the 4 lap Mexican Wave going. I thought the racing was poor apart from maybe 4 or 5 races but the 2nd semi was probably one of the best races seen at Cardiff. Very poor track preparation for good racing to be seen. It may have come across better on television and hopefully I shall be watching it later to see if it did.

Holder deserved the win. Best rider on the night but feel for Scottie who was leading his heat until Crumpie fell and missed the start in the re-run.

• Like 1