Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

really loved watching this one. Good to see Hans A getting into it. If people didn't like the racing then they're going to be sorely disappointed with speedway anywhere else!

It was good to hear that Greg H offered Chris advice of gates after Greg was out of the running.

Disappointing that the usual negative moaners on this forum try bring in downers on Poole , Middlo, Premier Leauge blah blah. when it's a GP thread.

Congrats to Chris H, handled the track and his interviews extremely well.

Everyones entitled to there opinion about the racing....my opinion is ive seen much better elsewhere whereas you obviously differ...btw every track has 'moaners' including Poole!

• Like 1

Why do the have to mess up the track every 4 races.Surely a bit lighter grade to bring a little of the dirt back in would do.Getting fed up watching them mess the track every GP.

Particularly the final - great racing after the interval then drag all the dirt back to the inside for the final. Why? Its a much better spectacle when you have riders mid track on the dirt line with others able to go deeper or try the inside charge...

Why does the SKY coverage start so early to be filled with a quarter of an hours worth of rubbish and THEN when the presentations are on it is cut off !!! It doesn`t make sense to me . :mad:

Who`s fault was it that it run to 9pm and SKY had to end its transmission??

Saying that i was a bit surprised as they usually cover the whole thing.

Everyones entitled to there opinion about the racing....my opinion is ive seen much better elsewhere whereas you obviously differ...btw every track has 'moaners' including Poole!

I reckon the racing wasn't brilliant. In fact if it wasn't the Grand Prix, and say a League fixture more people would be moaning. Like a lot of meetings, most of the placings are decided after the 2nd.bend. even at the famous Wiltshire Stade de Lite. ;)

I left feeling let down. No decent Brit, only the odd decent race (that semi was a classic though), crowd down do it seemed quieter but even so people seemed to be cheering less than normal.

As for hotels causing the crowd to drop, last week nobody could find a hotel within 20 miles, so clearly thats not the issue, it's the day trippers.

My 3 year old niece enjoyed her first GP experience. She got into it all a lot more than I did, flag, mouth horn and air horn. I'm not sure those around us appreciated the flag.

Edited by SCB

If people are going to moan then fine, but at least try to cling to a bit of reality or your argument loses it's foundation. There were enough good heats, and a couple of excellent ones, to class the racing last night as at least 'reasonable'. So to blather away and pronounce the whole meeting 'rubbish' is a bit daft and clearly just moaning for the sake of it. In the same way, I get bored when most SKY meetings are slagged off as 'boring'. I don't know where some of you watch your speedway but you'll need to let me know as it must be amazing.

On the cost front Cardiff offers a range of prices, so if you want to cut it down a bit then you can. Ultimately, it's an event that only happens once a year so is bound to be priced accordingly.

• Like 2

For the first time I was really disappointed with the whole thing. For some reason it all seemed a bit flat - very little in the way of atmosphere, not the best racing and as for the "entertainment", least said the better. In fact, the only enjoyable part of the day (for me) was listening to the Magoos in the Fanzone. If you want decent pre meeting entertainment BSI, I suggest you look at bringing in this group from the Fanzone.

I have seen every Cardiff GP except the first and for the first time am seriously considering whether I want to go again. This indecision is nothing to do with Cardiff itself but with the way that last night's meeting was presented and the general poor standard of racing.

There are many who have said, and will continue to say, that you are going to watch speedway and not the "entertainment" and in a small way they are correct. Speedway itself was designed as a new form of entertainment and not as a sport - as such, it achieved a great deal of success but then it started to take itself seriously and that, IMO, is when the rot started. However, returning to the pre match entertainment, there are many who do not wish to sit in pubs until the last minute, those with children and those who just prefer to be in the stadium early to avoid a crush. Should these people have to sit around for an hour or more twiddling their thumbs purely because they do not, or cannot, drink themselves thionk in a crowded bar?

Lastly I shall upset the "our Armed forces are wonderful" brigade. I was offended and worried that members of the armed forces were on parade. Forces representing violence should have no place in peace time entertainment other than in specific military shows. My fear is that with the increased use of military personnel in uniform, it will be more usual to them on the streets patrolling than police officers. By all means call me stupid, and I know there those who will, but I am concerned that this is the beginning of a militarisation of everyday life.

Can't believe some saying the racing was boring !!

There was overtaking in heat 1 compared to previous years where you had to wait til heat 7 or 8 before anything really happened after the second turn. For me the pick of the races was the battle with Holder and Emil. How they syayed on their bikes or never wiped each other out was amazing anyway but to stay on full power every time and not get caught by the following riders made it even more dramatic.

Chris Holder was by far the best rider on the night and sadly for my friend standing next to me he was too good as he had £50 on KK and £100 on Freddie ..... that was two chances of over a grand gone in 56 seconds, sadly I had my main money each way on Emil who just lost out in the semi, but the best rider won and well deserved.

Well Done to Scott who showed fight through out but Bomber must know now that unless he wins the British Final next year, or second to Tai then that may have been his last Cardiff experience. Tai will give it a good go next season and although he may not be challenging the top riders, he will be fighting for a top 8 finish at least.

Yes the crowd was down a bit and the streets not so full, but I would still say that there was 40,000 there as the main empty seats were on the home straight upper terrace. Those that did attend should have enjoyed the experience and most riders had a decent race at one stage with just Bjane and Ljung (£10 @ 8/1 to make the semi's :oops::cry: ) were left wanting.

Hans Andersen started like the rider of 5 years ago and Martin Vaculik looked to be destined for another big score after getting 5 from his firts two rides. Emil, Tomasz and Freddie came good as the meeting drew on and looked fast while Antonio, KK and Nicki were up and down a bit.

Overall a good meeting but will look back at the replay later.

For the first time I was really disappointed with the whole thing. For some reason it all seemed a bit flat - very little in the way of atmosphere, not the best racing and as for the "entertainment", least said the better. In fact, the only enjoyable part of the day (for me) was listening to the Magoos in the Fanzone. If you want decent pre meeting entertainment BSI, I suggest you look at bringing in this group from the Fanzone.

I have seen every Cardiff GP except the first and for the first time am seriously considering whether I want to go again. This indecision is nothing to do with Cardiff itself but with the way that last night's meeting was presented and the general poor standard of racing.

There are many who have said, and will continue to say, that you are going to watch speedway and not the "entertainment" and in a small way they are correct. Speedway itself was designed as a new form of entertainment and not as a sport - as such, it achieved a great deal of success but then it started to take itself seriously and that, IMO, is when the rot started. However, returning to the pre match entertainment, there are many who do not wish to sit in pubs until the last minute, those with children and those who just prefer to be in the stadium early to avoid a crush. Should these people have to sit around for an hour or more twiddling their thumbs purely because they do not, or cannot, drink themselves thionk in a crowded bar?

Lastly I shall upset the "our Armed forces are wonderful" brigade. I was offended and worried that members of the armed forces were on parade. Forces representing violence should have no place in peace time entertainment other than in specific military shows. My fear is that with the increased use of military personnel in uniform, it will be more usual to them on the streets patrolling than police officers. By all means call me stupid, and I know there those who will, but I am concerned that this is the beginning of a militarisation of everyday life.

the-end-is-nigh1.jpg

• Like 1

The attendance has been given on here as less than 38,000, after peaking at 45,000. You're always going to get some stand-out races, and Noddy and the Ruskie kid was, with the semi, race of the evening. Pretty average apart from that. Perhaps the atmos was a bit subdued as the Brits didn't win a race. Me and the missus thought it was a bit flat to previous meetings at Cardiff, quieter than normal. Couldn't believe how easy it was to buy a ticket and get some grub and drink. May not go next year even if the event is back to June/July.

Well done to Chris Holder... and Hansi. Tough luck for Greg and Crumpie. Throws the title wide-open now.

Edited by new cross robin

MARTIN Rogers (ex King's Lynn and Leicester promoter and long-time speedway journalist) emailed me this morning before fling back to Oz ...

Unbelievable meeting, cannot remember a better one. Lots of people echoing that at breakfast tables at Mercure this morning. So, as usual, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 1

That might say more about Mr Rogers memory than anything.It was a good meeting.Not one that i think should be criticised,but there have certainly been a fair few meetings better than that over the past few years even,and someone who has seen as many as martin rogers should remember some.

• Like 1

MARTIN Rogers (ex King's Lynn and Leicester promoter and long-time speedway journalist) emailed me this morning before fling back to Oz ...

Unbelievable meeting, cannot remember a better one. Lots of people echoing that at breakfast tables at Mercure this morning. So, as usual, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Thought it was the best ever Cardiff meeting-Agreeing with you,thats a worry :lol: Why did they use the bikes on the parade ? Racing started later than normal and in my opinion bought nothing to the show-really liked the big rider photo`s though.

POSTED this elsewhere but might be more appropriate here ... sorry for the duplication:

PASSING, in my opinion, isn't the b-all and end-all of great speedway. What is your barometer of good racing? A heat where one rider passes another and then pulls away to win by 50 yards? Or close, wheel-to-wheel action where riders constantly jostle for position? The latter in my view.

Jason Crump told the VIP Methanol club audience before the meeting that tracks at Cardiff and Copenhagen are now the best they race in ALL year. And, he added, you can include Gothenburg this year. Why? Because the riders trust them, know that they can race flat out without fear of hitting a big rut and being thrown off course and into another rider. Incidentally, Jason's crash on Saturday had nothing to do with the track.

Chris Holder, who rode brilliantly and was exciting to watch even while ahead, said afterwards that the track was "awesome." Fifteen of the best riders in the world strutting their stuff on a decent track inside a fantastic stadium still works for me.

There were certainly far less Poles there this year, hardly surprising given that they were due to have only Gollob there and even his star is beginning to wane. At least Poland have Janowski, the two Pawlicki brothers, Dudek and Zmarzlik on the fringes.n

From where I was standing the noise was still deafening but better performances from British riders would undoubtedly raise the decibel levels.

With regards to pre-meeting entertainment: when John Postlethwaite first took the GP to the Millennium Stadium he felt it necessary to have something going on while people were arriving at their seats and waiting for the speedway to start. A little aperitif but not a full blown hors d'oeuvre. And at no extra charge.

Over the years the philosophy has remained the same, although for a while some quite high profile performers were booked until the fees demanded grew out of proportion. But they are really just time fillers and perform a function while the fans are coming in.

Thought it was the best ever Cardiff meeting-Agreeing with you,thats a worry :lol: Why did they use the bikes on the parade ? Racing started later than normal and in my opinion bought nothing to the show-really liked the big rider photo`s though.

WE started about four minutes later but finished right on schedule. Grading doesn't take too long at the Millennium especially since the tractors started coming on and off from the fourth turn. Lot of people prefer to see the riders do a lap on their bikes rather than just walk off after being introduced.

Sad that Sky didn't show the presentation. It seems to be the norm for them. Cannot imagine that happening at soccer or cricket.

• Like 1