British Speedway Forum

Might have been the schedule for Cardiff-surely normally in a 3 hour time slot the final would be over in 2hrs 45mins so the TV companies get the rostrum presentation within the 3 hrs.

Holder vs Sayfutdinov reminded me a little of Penhall vs Olsen in 1981. Two riders rearing all over the track, but somehow keeping the gas on, and providing an incredible race in the process. Of course, it's not quite the same, because the whole World Championship wasn't on the line in that race last night, but still stunning speedway that you want to show your friends and say "And that's speedway!!"

Probably the best Cardiff in terms of racing. I think 2010 was more dramatic (two sets of handbags for starters), but in terms of pure racing, I would just about give it to last night, simply because there was racing from Heat 1 onwards, instead of the track taking a few races to dial in. In any case, it was a welcome improvement after a very disappointing Cardiff 2011.

The crowd did seem a bit subdued last night compared to usual, but that's maybe because there wasn't a single British heat winner to cheer on and wave our flags at. I just like good racing, though, and last night provided that. Third time in four years (2009, 2010 and 2012) we've had decent racing at Cardiff. It used to be the case that the racing was sh*te, but you put up with it simply because it was Cardiff.

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

My first SGP at the Millenium stadium:

• The noise was so deafening that listening to the Sky commentary was a bit of a waste, but the stuff I did hear (mostly analysis) was useful
  • Shame that they started to show some of the post-race interviews on the big screen, but then cut away almost immediately. Some of these would have made things more interesting
  • I was somewhat surprised by just how many empty seats there were, especially the top tier on the home straight - almost totally empty. I just though the place would be a bit fuller
  • Excellent meeting - really enjoyed it - quite a bit of drama - good mix of races, many quite close
  • Holder fantastic - in fact I was surpassed at how far ahead he was in terms of points at the end of the meeting. Just goes to show what a difference one meeting can make (queue discussion around points format for the nth time)
  • Will certainly now be making this a regular gig

David

• Like 1

A while ago, a westminster politician declared that internet forum sites were the meeting place for all the whingers of the world.

How true that often appears to be.

I am sure an exit poll conducted last night would have concluded from the overwhelming majority of the 30 odd thousand fans that a thoroughly marvellous time had been had by all.

Yet, an infinitesimal minority will infest this site on their mission to recruit new members into their 'World of Complete Misery' club.

What the hell is there not to like about Cardiff?

It's a spectacle to match almost any sporting event in this country which is remarkable for a sport which otherwise suffers from such a low profile.

If you don't like Cardiff - don't go to it, or watch it on tv - and stop boring the rest of us us to death with negative and unhelpful balderdash.

• Like 9

A great spectacle again though some of the 'racing' was a bit pedestrian. Pleased for Holder and it makes the next GP meetings interesting.

What spoiled it for us was when leaving the stadium the 11 or 12 Polish cretins that waded into 3 guys just because of the colour of their skin - including stamping on their heads when on the ground and abusing the folks that moved in to break it up - sadly no stewards or police nearby. These cretins can f-off back to their 3rd world country with their 3rd world attitudes and never come back - on 2nd thought Im being unkind to 3rd world countries by comparing them to that Polish racist scum

That you were offended by our armed forces attendance I find quite incredible!

My wife's job is to take care of those who have lost their sight whilst in the line of duty, protecting innocent people across the world not always from their own country.

You should have spent the day with me yesterday.

Whilst you were enjoying yourself, I was helping to raise funds for War Blinded at her work. To give these boys and girls a half decent life once they can no longer earn money due to their disability.

Have you ever spoken to someone who's lost half their face protecting others? Or someone who's lost their legs/arms or worse?

It is the most humbling of experiences and simply leaves you feeling totally inadequate.

These boys and girls make these appearances to let them enjoy a bit of civilian life and it allows members of the public like me, to go up to them, shake their hand and thank them for what they do. I find that experience rewarding, as do they.

When was the last time you defused an unexploded bomb, with a picture of your wife and kids in your top pocket?

They have every right to be at event like this, whether they've done so of their own choice in their own time or been invited/told to be there.

Whilst they put their life on the line, and the potential misery of their loved ones, some people can pontificate about the rights and wrongs of their existence in public places through their keyboard.

When in their presence, I get a sense of perspective.

Militarisation of everyday life? Have a word with yourself and join the real world instead of over dramatising and scare mongering!

I am 100% proud of our boys and girls, every single one of them!

No, you are not stupid.

You are utterly insensitive, lack understanding and out of touch with the real world.

Well said Sir.

• Like 2

Militarisation of everyday life? Have a word with yourself and join the real world instead of over dramatising and scare mongering!

I am 100% proud of our boys and girls, every single one of them!

No, you are not stupid.

You are utterly insensitive, lack understanding and out of touch with the real world.

Seconded

Im pretty sure there has always been an armed forces presence at Cardiff - guys abseiling from the roof springs to mind from one year

A while ago, a westminster politician declared that internet forum sites were the meeting place for all the whingers of the world.

How true that often appears to be.

I am sure an exit poll conducted last night would have concluded from the overwhelming majority of the 30 odd thousand fans that a thoroughly marvellous time had been had by all.

Yet, an infinitesimal minority will infest this site on their mission to recruit new members into their 'World of Complete Misery' club.

What the hell is there not to like about Cardiff?

It's a spectacle to match almost any sporting event in this country which is remarkable for a sport which otherwise suffers from such a low profile.

If you don't like Cardiff - don't go to it, or watch it on tv - and stop boring the rest of us us to death with negative and unhelpful balderdash.

Great post! Couldn't have put it better myself.

Lastly I shall upset the "our Armed forces are wonderful" brigade. I was offended and worried that members of the armed forces were on parade. Forces representing violence should have no place in peace time entertainment other than in specific military shows. My fear is that with the increased use of military personnel in uniform, it will be more usual to them on the streets patrolling than police officers. By all means call me stupid, and I know there those who will, but I am concerned that this is the beginning of a militarisation of everyday life.

What an absolutely horrendous comment! If it wasn't for these guys in millitary uniform you would have no "peace time" entertainment to sit and moan about/enjoy.

Get back into your cage!

• Like 1

For the first time I was really disappointed with the whole thing. For some reason it all seemed a bit flat - very little in the way of atmosphere, not the best racing and as for the "entertainment", least said the better. In fact, the only enjoyable part of the day (for me) was listening to the Magoos in the Fanzone. If you want decent pre meeting entertainment BSI, I suggest you look at bringing in this group from the Fanzone.

I have seen every Cardiff GP except the first and for the first time am seriously considering whether I want to go again. This indecision is nothing to do with Cardiff itself but with the way that last night's meeting was presented and the general poor standard of racing.

There are many who have said, and will continue to say, that you are going to watch speedway and not the "entertainment" and in a small way they are correct. Speedway itself was designed as a new form of entertainment and not as a sport - as such, it achieved a great deal of success but then it started to take itself seriously and that, IMO, is when the rot started. However, returning to the pre match entertainment, there are many who do not wish to sit in pubs until the last minute, those with children and those who just prefer to be in the stadium early to avoid a crush. Should these people have to sit around for an hour or more twiddling their thumbs purely because they do not, or cannot, drink themselves thionk in a crowded bar?

Lastly I shall upset the "our Armed forces are wonderful" brigade. I was offended and worried that members of the armed forces were on parade. Forces representing violence should have no place in peace time entertainment other than in specific military shows. My fear is that with the increased use of military personnel in uniform, it will be more usual to them on the streets patrolling than police officers. By all means call me stupid, and I know there those who will, but I am concerned that this is the beginning of a militarisation of everyday life.

Not offended by your comments in any way Old Saint.

I just profoundly disagree with them. Our Military are very necessary in this day and age when Terrorism across the World is rife. If the Security risk is deemed by those who decide these things to require an Army/Navy/Air Force presence, then I personally would be glad to see them. I would also feel a lot safer because of them.

I do not believe that this sort of thing will lead to the militarization of our Streets - it is just taking sensible precautions - that is all.

Imagine if there HAD been an incident and there were no Troops present - the General Public would be demanding to know why they were not being protected - justifiably so in my opinion.

The more protection the better as far as I am concerned.

You are though, entitled to your opinion.

• Like 1

Perhaps Old saint should not go to Wimbledon tennis then. The forces have helped with administration at this tournament ever since I have being going there

Holder vs Sayfutdinov reminded me a little of Penhall vs Olsen in 1981. Two riders rearing all over the track, but somehow keeping the gas on, and providing an incredible race in the process. Of course, it's not quite the same, because the whole World Championship wasn't on the line in that race last night, but still stunning speedway that you want to show your friends and say "And that's speedway!!"

All the best

Rob

I wondered when somebody was going to bring that up :D Spectacular race that was, just the Same as Knudsen Penhall.

Yeah just under 38000 like 25000.

The place holds 72,500 and was no way near half full.

I only watch on TV true but I have eyes.

Any crowd figures related to speedway in this country should always be viewed with suspicion. :)

Even in the days of the '40000+ crowd I doubt many really believed that.

In the decade it's held the SGP I doubt there has been more than 40 on more than 1 or 2 occasions.

Bout time you started using them then. I WAS there, unlike you and Philip's stalker iris123, and the figures just about stack up. Spaces in the lower level on the 3rd/4th bend, but much more tickets sold this year in the upper tiers, especially on the back straight. If you don't want to believe things, don't make a mug of yourself.

wish I had 10p for every time kelvin said slammed the door shut or I have to say. Millionaire.

• Like 1