British Speedway Forum

LITTLE or no chance these days but once the football season starts, with cricket and the paralympics, forget it.

Thirty years ago when Gary Havelock won his World title I was working for the News of the World and they afforded his win an inside page lead despite the football. Times have changed sadly.

Phil... Does this tell us more about the press, the state of the sport in the UK, or a bit of both?

LITTLE or no chance these days but once the football season starts, with cricket and the paralympics, forget it.

Thirty years ago when Gary Havelock won his World title I was working for the News of the World and they afforded his win an inside page lead despite the football. Times have changed sadly.

30 years? Show some respect man!

1992 isn't 30yrs ago

Phil... Does this tell us more about the press, the state of the sport in the UK, or a bit of both?

BIT of both really. British speedway really doesn't warrant any national newspaper coverage these days in my opinion. The lack of a British World Champion or British success in the SWC doesn't help either but national newspapers are now notoriously dis-interesrted in most motorsport, especially the two-wheeled variety.

Ironically, there are now far more pages devoted to sport than there were 20 plus years ago when the likes of Dave Lanning, Peter Oakes and I afforded some space oif most days of the week. And, as mentioned earlier, the News of the World were brilliant when Havvy won despite have a full programme iof soccer that same day.

Much of it now is down to the mentality of those in charge. Sports Editors used to have a wide-ranging interest in all sports and that influenced their decision making. I took over as speedway correspondent for the Daily Express when they were involved in the Spring Classic. The then SE, Ken Lawrence, liked and enjoyed speedway but more importantly he saw it as a genuine sport which was worthy of equal billing when the occasion demanded. But in those days the likes of Bruce Penhall were household names despite not being British.

When John Davis won the Spring Classic Wimbledon I had to do a running report of 29 paragraphs followed at the end by a complete re-write. The report was on the back page of all editions of the Daily Express the following morning.

Interest in speedway began to wane when Denmark kept winning everything. One night I called the Express Sports Desk before filling a report and was asked "who won?" I replied "Denmark" and was greeted with "not those bloody Danes again. When are England going to win something."

Would it ever change? Don't honestly know but a British winner in front of 40,000 people at Cardiff would push a few buttons. But that ain't going to happen any time soon!

30 years? Show some respect man!

1992 isn't 30yrs ago

SORRY but it seems like it!

• Like 2

1992 ......was 20 years ago when I last looked :shock: !!!! Says alot :sad: At least Bradford had their Exhibition opening (Bradford Industrial Museum,Moorside Rd, Eccleshill, Bradford BD2 3HP) to coincide with this momentus date for Havvy........heard the Great Arthur Wright was there too (Bradford legend!).

Edited by emerald tyke

Ironically, there are now far more pages devoted to sport than there were 20 plus years ago when the likes of Dave Lanning, Peter Oakes and I afforded some space oif most days of the week. And, as mentioned earlier, the News of the World were brilliant when Havvy won despite have a full programme iof soccer that same day.

Well of course, the traditional press is on a slow and inextricable decline and I'd imagine they simply don't want to spend money covering minority sports any more. I'm not really convinced that mass coverage in the tabloids would make that much difference these days anyway.

Of course, speedway also doesn't help promote itself by being run in such an amateurish fashion.

• Like 1

Bout time you started using them then. I WAS there, unlike you and Philip's stalker iris123, and the figures just about stack up. Spaces in the lower level on the 3rd/4th bend, but much more tickets sold this year in the upper tiers, especially on the back straight. If you don't want to believe things, don't make a mug of yourself.

I found that people had made the obvious choice to sit in the cheaper seats (sign of the times unfortunately! :sad: ) and the prices they charge for the home straight on all tiers and the back straight on lower tiers is ridiculous and maybe a more fairer pricing system would work. Why would you pay £90 to sit on 1st bend top tier when you can pay £29/37 on back straight and have the same view???

We bought tickets on the friday in Cardiff and only "available" spots were back straight top tier £37 or over by 1st bend top tier £90!! but there were plenty of empty seats in other areas when we got inside on the night. :shock:

Edited by emerald tyke
  • Like 1

IN that case why would they should it at all and devote a huge amount of resources and expense to cover the British GP in the manner in which they do?

I'd imagine still very small beer compared to what Sky spend on football, rugby, cricket and now F1.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Another issue was the rubbish advert. Nobody knows Harris, Hancock, Holder and Crump so them saying on camera talking about winning Cardiff meant nothing. You need to show racing, crashing and fireworks.

Another issue was the rubbish advert. Nobody knows Harris, Hancock, Holder and Crump so them saying on camera talking about winning Cardiff meant nothing. You need to show racing, crashing and fireworks.

Precisely!!! ADVERTISE the speed, colour and generate excitment, not boring old chat by 'stars@ you mightn't actually know!

BIT of both really. British speedway really doesn't warrant any national newspaper coverage these days in my opinion. The lack of a British World Champion or British success in the SWC doesn't help either but national newspapers are now notoriously dis-interesrted in most motorsport, especially the two-wheeled variety.

Much of it now is down to the mentality of those in charge. Sports Editors used to have a wide-ranging interest in all sports and that influenced their decision making. I took over as speedway correspondent for the Daily Express when they were involved in the Spring Classic. The then SE, Ken Lawrence, liked and enjoyed speedway but more importantly he saw it as a genuine sport which was worthy of equal billing when the occasion demanded. But in those days the likes of Bruce Penhall were household names despite not being British.

When John Davis won the Spring Classic Wimbledon I had to do a running report of 29 paragraphs followed at the end by a complete re-write. The report was on the back page of all editions of the Daily Express the following morning.

Interest in speedway began to wane when Denmark kept winning everything. One night I called the Express Sports Desk before filling a report and was asked "who won?" I replied "Denmark" and was greeted with "not those bloody Danes again. When are England going to win something."

Would it ever change? Don't honestly know but a British winner in front of 40,000 people at Cardiff would push a few buttons. But that ain't going to happen any time soon!

Not much else to add, as you've summed it up quite well, and agree from my memories of the 70's period that it was quite often down to whether someone higher up was a bit of a fan, or it caught their eye. It remains to be seen whether GB's great Olympic success has an effect on Olympic sport participation or even TV coverage outside the Olympics, but there's no denying that British speedway success would help enormously. This aspect also cuts through all those people who say "if only they changed the tactical sub system, speedway would be big again etc. etc. etc." ("tinkering" I call it), and have posted several times before on it in various places.

I'd imagine still very small beer compared to what Sky spend on football, rugby, cricket and now F1.

VERY true but my actual point was why Sky didn't bother with the presentation. Like not reading the last page of a book... seems odd to me.

Well sadly thats it for another year,thoroughly enjoyable weekend, thought the racing was pretty good myself especially early on,Scotty very unlucky not to make the semi's and it seems alot of people arn't like Stevebrum and don't bet! Won a small fortune myself which paid for the weekend so thanks Noddy.

Live Golf from New York or not, it's totally indicative of the lack of regard Sky has for speedway.

There's always ways of sliding back the beginning of the next programme, especially sport and in particular American sport where it happens all the time.

i

Live Golf from New York or not, it's totally indicative of the lack of regard Sky has for speedway.

There's always ways of sliding back the beginning of the next programme, especially sport and in particular American sport where it happens all the time.

This doesn't happen a lot. :wink: BUT - I totally agree with you backless. :t:

I was saddened that the Presentation wasn't shown. It would have been had it been Cricket, Football, Rugby or Golf. Obviously SKY don't consider there are enough Viewers to worry about keeping us Speedway Supporters happy. :sad: :sad:

It's great that SKY show the Event - but - it is always nice to see the Prizes awarded at the end.

Here's hoping for the next time.