British Speedway Forum

I think it would be better to ask how complimentary tickets are getting into the hands of touts and being sold at knock down prices.

Perhaps they actually are complementary tickets though - given out to make the crowd look bigger.. ;)

We did the same 2 years ago, and brought complementary tickets off some bloke outside the stadium wearing an IMG lanyard! It did cross my mind that IMG were selling off the complementary tickets cheap just to generate a bit more income.

We had a blast! Took our 6 year old son for the 2nd year running. Like many others bought cheap seats but in front row of upper tier at exit of turn four. Six of us cost £177! Same price would have got four of us into a Premier League football match with worse view! Thought crowd was smaller than last year but atmosphere much better, probably as result of better racing than 2011. Sad next year clashes with end of school holiday week as will probably be away somewhere and not be able to get the Cardiff and make do with seeing it on Sky.

A while ago, a westminster politician declared that internet forum sites were the meeting place for all the whingers of the world.

How true that often appears to be.

I am sure an exit poll conducted last night would have concluded from the overwhelming majority of the 30 odd thousand fans that a thoroughly marvellous time had been had by all.

Yet, an infinitesimal minority will infest this site on their mission to recruit new members into their 'World of Complete Misery' club.

What the hell is there not to like about Cardiff?

It's a spectacle to match almost any sporting event in this country which is remarkable for a sport which otherwise suffers from such a low profile.

If you don't like Cardiff - don't go to it, or watch it on tv - and stop boring the rest of us us to death with negative and unhelpful balderdash.

Bravo - well said :D

As a newbie to this site I do find it to have quite a few negative speedway "fans"

I for one am a glass half full kinda person & look for the positive's in any meeting I watch

• Like 1

THERE are no IMG lanyards as such. The same lanyards (which have never included any IMG logo) are used for all passes including those for track staff, guests, media and officials.

You cannot seriously believe that a company like IMG would risk sanctioning someone selling cheap tickets outside the stadium.

Much more likely that someone (track staff for example) provided with complimentary tickets decided to try and make a quick buck.

• Like 2

Speedway won't get coverage until there is a genuine UK contender to win. Then I believe they will cover it more, especially with some proper PR behind him. Moto GPvgets little if any paper coverage, I bet very few people know what Cal Crutchlow looks like outside of Moto GP fans, as he isnt in the hunt to win. The BBC give the Moto GP series the same coverage sky gives our GP series, but the national press give it nothing as well.

Edited by jimmy jimmy

Would track or support staff be outside the stadium 30 minutes before tapes up flogging complementary tickets? And why would they have about 200 of these tickets in sequential order, are IMG that generous with their freebies?

Speedway won't get coverage until there is a genuine UK contender to win. Then I believe they will cover it more, especially with some proper PR behind him. Moto GPvgets little if any paper coverage, I bet very few people know what Cal Crutchlow looks like outside of Moto GP fans, as he isnt in the hunt to win. The BBC give the Moto GP series the same coverage sky gives our GP series, but the national press give it nothing as well.

You wouldn't have had to have any interest in motor sports to have enjoyed the tension and marvelled at the manner in which Chris Harris won the British Grand Prix. However, that year's BBC Sports Personality of the Year show, lasting hours?, didn't spare the needed just over ONE MINUTE to show his great and entertaining achievement........errrrrm 'nuff said!

Another issue was the rubbish advert. Nobody knows Harris, Hancock, Holder and Crump so them saying on camera talking about winning Cardiff meant nothing. You need to show racing, crashing and fireworks.

Precisely!!! ADVERTISE the speed, colour and generate excitment, not boring old chat by 'stars@ you mightn't actually know!

As i mentioned elsewhere the other day;

The fact that speedway is such a visually exciting sport makes the omission all the worst. I wouldn't mind but most of the general sporting public simply are not familiar with the riders, their characters or their history so that weakens the 'drama' of the personal statement aspect of it all.

Whilst unlike a decade ago most people now are aware of what speedway is, mainly thanks to Sky, i notice that a lot of websites including the very large official ones do feel the need to have a section invariably called 'What Is Speedway'. Admittedly they are usually well worded and do make the sport sound exciting. Even though we hear it ad nauseum i still love the phrase 'No brakes, no gears, no fear'. Many outsiders to the sport even though they know what speedway is are unaware that the bikes have no brakes and such a fact invariably raises an eyebrow and interest.

Would track or support staff be outside the stadium 30 minutes before tapes up flogging complementary tickets? And why would they have about 200 of these tickets in sequential order, are IMG that generous with their freebies?

Depends if they want to boost official numbers ........

• Like 1

Much more likely that someone (track staff for example) provided with complimentary tickets decided to try and make a quick buck.

Track staff are hardly likely to be outside the staduim selling tickets 30 mins before start time are they ?

I wasn't following speedway back in 2000 when Mark Loram won the world championship and I can't remember any coverage if the event in the mainstream media.

I might be wrong but speedway is the 2nd or 3rd highest viewed sport on Sky but it remains a minority sport in the UK based on crowd numbers. Maybe we should just be greatful it's on Sky so we can all watch every GP and live league matches each week.

I don't have any viewing figures, but let's assume you're correct.

If speedway is in the top half dozen sports in terms of viewing figures, why should we "be grateful" about the coverage?

In fact the shoddy way the cut off the presentations on Saturday is all the more deplorable.

Sky charge a hefty fee for their sports channels, that includes any gratitude from me.

I'm equally grateful to the baker who bakes the bread I BUY, the oil company who provide the diesel I BUY and indeed anything else provide for me that I PAY FOR.

If speedway is in the top half dozen sports in terms of viewing figures, why should we "be grateful" about the coverage?

Lets agree to differ. Personally I am grateful that a minority sport is on Sky so often.

It annoys me that so many people, and Im not being specific about yourself so do not take it personally please, make so many negative comments about the sport being on Sky.

People moaning about it being behind the red button, no presentation, no magazine program, the commentators, repeating the GP more than once, the list seems endless. Get a blooming life, there are more important things.

Why cant some be happy with the very decent 12 GP and weekly league coverage supplied. Sky do a very good job for armchair supporters of the sport.

It's even more baffling to come on here and moan about it all the time, what good does that do. Maybe write to Sky and cancel your subscription instead. Easy to solve isnt it.

• Like 1

Anybody notice that Heat 12 was started when the Doctor was seen on TV still attending Jason in the pits, and therefore technically not available.

Anybody notice that Heat 12 was started when the Doctor was seen on TV still attending Jason in the pits, and therefore technically not available.

I am sure they flashed a picture of that up on the big screens too..............Only comment about being on the top tier on the back straight was when you are so high up when the stadium is almost empty its blooming scary..............I should have learned that lesson from last time I went............

RP

I am sure they flashed a picture of that up on the big screens too..............Only comment about being on the top tier on the back straight was when you are so high up when the stadium is almost empty its blooming scary..............I should have learned that lesson from last time I went............

RP

They did and that was the reason I watched the replay to check. It was also noted by some in the pits.

Must say the Doctor was hardly a good advert for his profession although I am assured he is a very good Doctor..