British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
morris44

Roger Wise

I recently came across a couple of photographs of a rider called Roger Wise. They are signed and show him riding for Oxford and are dated 1951. I have "googled" him but have not found out too much about him other than the fact that he seemed to be riding both before and after the war and also rode for Bristol. I started watching Southampton in the mid 50`s and I don`t remember him. Anyone help??

Roger Wise was one of the post-war stars, mainly with Bristol. He was also a leading grass track rider both before and after the war. More about him can be found in the site 'Cyril May's Grass Track Heroes'.

If I remember correctly there were two brothers, Roger & Ken, who were both very good grass track riders from Swindon. There is an article in the book on Bristol Speedway by Robert Bamford & Glynn Shailes, in which it states, Roger turned his hand to Speedway with Bristol in 1946 with some success, but when they were promoted to the first division in 1950 he found it very hard going. The following season he suffered a loss of confidence, which resulted in him losing his team place, but managed to secure a place with Oxford in the second division. On returning to Bristol in 1952 things went quite badly for Roger when he was involved in a track crash with Reg Reeves at West Ham. Roger was taken to hospital suffering from head injuries and concussion and was sidelined for several weeks. Although returning to ride in the Bristol team he was never the same rider again and retired at the end of the season.

Outside of Speedway the brothers had a bakery business starting, I believe in a shop at Highworth and then moving to a factory in Upper Stratton around 1950. R&K Wise ltd. grew to quite a substantial firm over the next fifty years, reported to have employed 400 people at peak times. I often wondered if he had ever tried for a team place at Swindon and if not why not, but I have never heard of any connection as a rider. He did, however, have one season as team manager for Swindon in 1962, but after finishing the season just one place up from bottom he resigned and past the post back to Bob Jones.