British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ben Alderton

Speedway World Cup Team Line Ups

I can't agree with that, Spooky.

The Russians have some really talented young guys....

You are absolutely right but 'young' is an important word there

I can't agree with that, Spooky.

The Russians have some really talented young guys....

Interestingly, at least two of the bright young Russians (Alexandr Loktaev and Kiril Tsukanov) currently race as Ukrainians, and who can blame them with the antics that went on this week!

Despite the talent that is potentially coming through, the Russians actually fielded the oldest team tonight! Although, in fairness, if Artem had been available their average age would have been below the Aussies and just marginally above the Swedes.

Whilst mentioning him, was anyone else frustrated that the commentary team regularly stated that the Russians were at full strength whilst also mentioning the absence of Nicholls and Richardson? Russia were missing one of their 2 SGP riders, the man who top scored for them at Gorzow in the SWC last season...If the Brits had been missing someone with that record we would surely have known all about it!

As much as I love Elite League (watching it from Poland), I have to say that you Brits (I mean BSPA) need to make changes quick.

At least one under 21 Brit in every EL team is a must. Someone might say there is no way to find 10 young riders in UK ready to race in top division but there is no other way.

Ekstraliga teams have 2 Polish juniors per team in every meeting, Elitserien one U21 Swede each team. It is the only way to motivate clubs to invest in young local lads and in a long run the only way to build a strong team for World Cup. At the moment facts are:

- Team GB 6th in the world

- no Brits in U21 Individual Finals!

Edited by krompa

Just caught up with the meeting and results.

The Aussies looked easily the pick of the rests. The Swedes look jaded, particularly Freddie - not sure why.

The Russians could have even pushed for 2nd if Artem had been there but Emil was superb.

GB picked up there game mid way thru and there appeared belief that 2nd was achievable. Harris was great again whilst Barker can take great pride from his performances. Credit where credit is due.

Talking of credit, Batchelor eased his way to 13 points. Obviously his experience counted in Poland but he looked very comfortable and if he carries that level of performance into Saturday he can take a massive step towards progressing his career onto a different level.

FOR THE BRITS-Thought Harris was 1st class even in the last race he went for it,Woffinden and Barker done ok,lewis was in the big arena for the first time so ill see what happens next time,BUT Kennett i cannot let off,wasny keen to mix it,kept shutting off (cant beleive how many times he did this)and just didnt look at ease at all but middlo kept him in his last ride for whatever reason,it would have been better to give Lewis another ride,rather then Kennett going out already beat.not looking forward always looking around.This is not Eddie Kennett the racer we know and someone should have a word with him about what he did on track tonight.

Same old Edward. He's beaten all those riders that rode tonight in the EL, but get him in a high pressure meeting and he doesn't believe in himself.

This leads to a performance like tonight when he was almost getting out of the way of other riders and riding terrible lines.

Bridger was embarrassing. His leg off the foot rest style is comical.

Fair play to Harris, who battled and led the side well. Barker the pick of the rest. Woffinden poor and has fallen well back in terms of his development.

Gating was atrocious again and the Brits machineary isn't anywhere near quick enough.

Edited by Chris

As much as I love Elite League (watching it from Poland), I have to say that you Brits (I mean BSPA) need to make changes quick.

At least one under 21 Brit in every EL team is a must. Someone might say there is no way to find 10 young riders in UK ready to race in top division but there is no other way.

Ekstraliga teams have 2 Polish juniors per team in every meeting, Elitserien one U21 Swede each team. It is the only way to motivate clubs to invest in young local lads and in a long run the only way to build a strong team for World Cup. At the moment facts are:

- Team GB 6th in the world

- no Brits in U21 Individual Finals!

Absolutely bang on. :t:

BUT..........don't hold your breath.

Regards. Alan.

If it was Kelvin it would have been "There's no doubt about that." In view of the fact there wasn't much to get excited about tonight - pretty much knowing Team GB would finish 4th in the end - I decided to count how many times Kelvin said it and the total was 19, but I could have missed a few. :lol:

:rofl: I posted in the Tatum thread that we should have some bonus ball game involving Kelvins favourite saying. Nearly wet myself on Monday when he said "No doubt about it" as the tapes were about to go up for heat 11 only for Sir Shout a lot to get in on the action by starting and ending a sentence with "No doubt about it" absolute classic :lol:

If you only made it 19 I'm betting you made a cuppa or two and missed some :rofl:

I know some don't like 'em but I find them amusing and it could be a lot worse no question :wink:

Edited by bornagainlion

Of the British side, this was completely as I expected. There was a minor fantasy they could have got 2nd, but it was only because the joker - probably rightly so - was done early. Sweden and Australia were going through all day long, and there are no prizes for guessing that.

Well done to Barker and Harris. The rest, hmmmm. Coventry fans have been getting in a flap this season with his form as if he is world class. Sadly he has been found wanting in SGP Qualification and SWC. He'll remain a robust EL heat leader, of the Simon Stead variety. Steady has come close to SGPs. Kennett has always been very poor on Polish tracks. Will turn 25 this year, and there are not many seasons to turn it up.

Woffinden. What is going on? Going backwards, and getting lots of falls. I would suggest that if he had not turned British, he would not be in the Australian side? I am pleased for Troy Batchelor once again, feel he is very underrated and overshadowed.

I'd have Crump, Holder, Ward, Batchelor, Schlein, Watt, Sullivan ahead of Woffinden. Was it the personal toll of last year and sudden promotion to SGPs? Have injuries knocked his confidence? Has turning British meant he could take it easier for events? Certainly well behind his peers in World Speedway age group. Would be an absolute travesty if Woffinden gets a GP Wild Card next season. If there is a British one, it will go to Harris. Whilst not a British Champion, and has had a few dodgy meetings this season which he attributed to back room turmoil, he has shown that he can mix it with the best this week.

I agree with Sam Ermolenko about equipment, all Brits - Nicholls - included, should take a long hard look at what they want to invest. Sick of hearing them complain that they haven't found a set up for new silencers, or their motors are too slow. Harris has made changed, albeit I am almost as uninspired by Mark Courtney as I am Sean Wilson.

Perhaps for the SWC next season, BSPA will get them all nicely tuned engines from one guy - maybe bring someone into the British Set Up - with engine tuning experience. Middleditch and Morris lack inspiration or experience at the top level. I would like to see a team management of a international class rider (Louis or Loram) to look after the riders and their approach with a world class engine tuner / manager to get the best out of the equipment, maybe even keep Middleditch as cheer leader, team bonder. Problem is it costs money.

Finally, with Bridger, Barker and Kennett at war if you believe the Daily Echo, perhaps it is time to remind them that they have worked together, VERY WELL, and gained the ultimate prize in British Speedway - League Championship - at Poole. Perhaps Rosco can create team harmony where Middleditch cannot. Or maybe he kept Bridger away from press and twitter.

Perhaps Rosco can create team harmony where Middleditch cannot. Or maybe he kept Bridger away from press and twitter.

They should have kept him away from Twitter this morning (quotes ammended for family forum)

@LewisLBRLewis Bridger

To all you c**ts slating me blow me.. Fu* u all got no idea the passion & hardwork i put into speedway.. Most GB fans r 2faced k**ts !!

and

@LewisLBRLewis Bridger

& once again i don't care what people r going to say fu* u all.. Proved tonight none of u r true fans !!

:rolleyes:

Edited by Concrete Cowboy

They should have kept him away from Twitter this morning (quotes ammended for family forum)

@LewisLBRLewis Bridger

To all you c**ts slating me blow me.. Fu* u all got no idea the passion & hardwork i put into speedway.. Most GB fans r 2faced k**ts !!

and

@LewisLBRLewis Bridger

& once again i don't care what people r going to say fu* u all.. Proved tonight none of u r true fans !!

The sponsors must be forming a long queue.

@LewisLBRLewis Bridger

and

@LewisLBRLewis Bridger

Hope you forgive me for starting a specific thread regarding this in the General forum. Only i think it's of importance it is addressed due to the damaging effect it can have on the sport. I don't think it should get quickly buried in a race line-up thread.

@LewisLBRLewis Bridger

and

@LewisLBRLewis Bridger

(Amended for family forum)

What a useless gobsh*te. Always has been and always will be.

I'm normally the first to jump to the defence of a rider but how can I defend that?

Bridger if you're reading this, seriously, until you change your riding style and change your attitude you are going nowhere. I would have sympathised but after that rant it clearly shows at the moment you are not mature enough yet to deal with the big time.

I say yet because I want to see you prove me wrong.

Hope you forgive me for starting a specific thread regarding this in the General forum. Only i think it's of importance it is addressed due to the damaging effect it can have on the sport. I don't think it should get quickly buried in a race line-up thread.

And too think Middlo went against the majority of the team and management set up and chose Bridger over Danny King.

@LewisLBRLewis Bridger

and

@LewisLBRLewis Bridger

hahahahah youve gotta love it! just caught up with the 2nd half of the meeting thanks to updates, after going to bed after 3 rides each which'd be ht 15.

Bridger was what I expected, actually he was evan worse.

Im sure I'll find a few comments about his style when syphening back through the pages BUT

from seeing his first 2, (on a tiny screen) it could only be described as comical

No doubt better still with a better HD TV :lol::lol: