British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ben Alderton

Speedway World Cup Team Line Ups

Good post!

What about someone like Michael Lee?

Hes an excellent tuner,could be in the pits with the team and hes been there,seen it done it?

Just a thought?

Oh yeh hes books good too lol!!

Yeah that will work with Woffinden in the team :rolleyes:

Before we all throw ourselves off the nearest motorway bridge in despair, I think we're forgetting a certain young Mr Barker who took his chances on the world stage with some eagerness and with promising results. OK he may not be a Darcy Ward or Emil Sayfudinov but it was a nice debut. It must have boosted his confidence no end. Give the young man a few more opportunities to get up to the next level and with a bit of backing and he might make it to the GP level one day. He will though need to keep his temper under control and try to emulate Chris Harris. Eddie was always a doubt in my mind on the big Polish track and I although I would never fault his effort I would consider him good for Elite but not at the World level. I'd be delighted if he proved me wrong. As for Lewis Bridger - without an improvement in attitude he'll be in the Premier in a few seasons. Taking cheap shots at other riders, bad mouthing the public and ridiculous posturing will win nothing and only make him more enemies. I wouldn't be surprised if Middlo has deleted his number from his mobile. He's got some fences to mend!

Perhaps for the SWC next season, BSPA will get them all nicely tuned engines from one guy - maybe bring someone into the British Set Up - with engine tuning experience. Middleditch and Morris lack inspiration or experience at the top level. I would like to see a team management of a international class rider (Louis or Loram) to look after the riders and their approach with a world class engine tuner / manager to get the best out of the equipment, maybe even keep Middleditch as cheer leader, team bonder. Problem is it costs money.

Didnt Rob Lyon get The Russian kid's Tuner on board to do the GB engines last year - Ashley?

The contrast between this year and last was noticable (agreed Richardson was missing)

BSPA wont give Lyon the backing so they go back to the fall guy Middleditch,why does he alwaysagree to do the job when the BSPA come calling.

Yeah that will work with Woffinden in the team :rolleyes:

Is there a prob with those two then?

The WTC showed how far behind the other nations we really are.

Woffinden is supposed to be the Big White Hope but he is miles behind riders such as Holder and Ward who are at similar stages of their careers.

He has really lost his way over the last couple of seasons.

Wolfie

He has really lost his way over the last couple of seasons.

Can't think why!!!! And I thought I had a bad memory!!

The GB boys rode some good races throughout the race off, I was particularly pleased with Barker's rides. Shame they couldn't get their set ups sorted sooner, that's something that surely needs to be worked on??

I'm hoping that the new National Stadium will provide us with a big track that youngsters can learn how to race hard and fast on ............

Edited by Trees

my pictures from the Kings Lynn qualifier >> HERE

I don't think so. As far as I know Woffy stopped using TSR that's all. Can't see Lee falling out with Woffy over it.

Mike Lee advising (as he did with Wuffy/ tuning engines also) and Mark Courtney in Harris' corner.

The two biggest wastrels of the 80's generation.

I wouldn't let either of them run a raffle, yet alone a pit crew.

Mike Lee advising (as he did with Wuffy/ tuning engines also) and Mark Courtney in Harris' corner.

Don't worry, Havvy was in the pits with the team at Kings Lynn, but obviously couldn't attend the Gorzow meeting due to Redcar commitments.

I am sure Havvy will take a much more active role in Team GB when he gives up his racing career.

Why? Just because they had their problems in the past does that mean they shouldn't be allowed to pass on their vast knowledge to the boys?

One advantage they would have is that they know the pitfalls and have paid the price, nobody is better qualified to give advice than those who have experience.

Lee especially knows what it takes to become the best being twice world champion but he also knows how easily it can all go wrong. If you have kids you will know the importance of acting on experience to try and ensure your kids don't make the same mistakes you did. We've all made them. As Chris Morton once said, "Better to learn from other people's mistakes than your own."

Edited by ImpartialOne

Yes, Woffinden accused Lee of ripping him off last season when they were working together.

Why? Just because they had their problems in the past does that mean they shouldn't be allowed to pass on their vast knowledge to the boys?

One advantage they would have is that they know the pitfalls and have paid the price, nobody is better qualified to give advice than those who have experience.

Lee especially knows what it takes to become the best being twice world champion but he also knows how easily it can all go wrong. If you have kids you will know the importance of acting on experience to try and ensure your kids don't make the same mistakes you did. We've all made them. As Chris Morton once said, "Better to learn from other people's mistakes than your own."

That's a great point that you make.. granted.. and of course we've all made mistakes.. my youth was littered with them. I am the eternal hypocrite, and rightly so, when it comes to setting an example to my children. I have truly learnt from some of the stupid passtimes I got up to in my youth.

The only thing is... I've heard this time and time again about Mike Lee.

Each generation passes... and he ends up getting nicked again. I wouldn't bet against him being dodgy again if he actually needed the money badly.

And he's not actually a regret filled man, and hints that he wouldn't do anything different given his time again.

Nice for his parents then.

That's a great point that you make.. granted.. and of course we've all made mistakes.. my youth was littered with them. I am the eternal hypocrite, and rightly so, when it comes to setting an example to my children. I have truly learnt from some of the stupid passtimes I got up to in my youth.

The only thing is... I've heard this time and time again about Mike Lee.

Each generation passes... and he ends up getting nicked again. I wouldn't bet against him being dodgy again if he actually needed the money badly.

And he's not actually a regret filled man, and hints that he wouldn't do anything different given his time again.

Nice for his parents then.

As far as I know he has cleaned up his act and has moved on from all his troubles a fair while ago now. I'm not sure your comment of him "doing something dodgy if he needed the money" is very fair, since I believe he has served his time and deserves a chance to put things right. He's older and wiser and seems to be in a much better place than he was a few years ago.

Yes, he says he wouldn't do anything differently but I'm a big believer in never having regrets. What's done is done and having regrets only hampers the rest of your life.

I'm sure if he really could live his life again with the knowledge he has now he would do things differently despite what he says. The reality is we can't live our lives again so to regret our past would do us no good in the future, and I think that is more the thrust of his sentiment. That's his life, he can't go back and change what happened and it's made him what he is today, whatever your views on him. Let's not forget, apart from his errors he also has a lot to be proud of.