British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Main Man

Thanks--- See You All Again Soon!!

Well I'm back home in cold and wet England. I had a great time down under and want to get back soon.

My thanks to the Herne family for looking after me in Sydney and picking me up when I needed. Great to see Phil and Debbie after all these years.

To the Olivers in Brisbane -- for giving me a New Year to remember (and for John signing his Kings Lynn contract too!!).

To the Hardings in Perth --for the chance to try a variety of foods and to see how TUCKER TIME keeps Aussie animals well fed --good to meet up with Simon Stead too with his arm given a thorough testing on the water skiing last Thursday!!

Thanks too to the Myers family and my Aussie sponsors at FLOURTRANS !!

Saw two meetings at Gosford --so at least there was some speedway between the site seeing, boozing and eating!! Thoroughly recommended to all.

Lots of great memories with Sydney, Brisbane and Perth fitted in my two weeks-- although missed out on dripping in on Parks in Adelaide --maybe next year when he has his 20 year meeting ????

THANKS A LOT to everyone who made me most welcome ---- I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

:rolleyes:B)B)B):rolleyes::wink::approve::approve::lol::)

Good to see you had a great time MM. Welcome back to grey, wet, cold Britain :(

lovely to be back Midnight Lady !!! C U at Armadale.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Two weeks isn't enough Main Man !!

We're not a bad bunch after all even though we are descended from convicts ;) . Glad you enjoyed but you went home just as the best month of the year started. Three rounds of the Oz titles then the U21's four weeks on the trot and BBQ's all over the country to sample.

Next time perhaps.

certainly Sir Lunchalot !! Unfortunately with a business to run, three kids to feed and Kings Lynn commitments , a fortnight was all I could manage . I know the run of meetings coming up and had Phil Herne and Mark Myers (FlourTrans and dad of NSW rider Louis) bending my ears to get me to stay longer but much as I wanted to , needs must --but next time !! In fact if something I was privvy to comes off I may be back to help get off the ground --exciting stuff eh!!

Didn't manage to meet up with the bundy drinking, smoking Welshman -- but the bugger has just sent me a message on the Kings Lynn site about the weather etc !! SWINE!!

See you soon (I hope!!)

In fact if something I was privvy to comes off I may be back to help get off the ground --exciting stuff eh!!

Very interesting.

Please tell us more.

In fact if something I was privvy to comes off I may be back to help get off the ground --exciting stuff eh!!

Very interesting.

Please tell us more.

Can't yet ..my lips are sealed but if it comes off it will be a superb venue --and possibly the first of several the interested parties are looking at !!

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Rumour has it (aren't they wonderful things !!) that IF the Oz titles are a raging success in 2004 then "interested parties" are looking at moving the Oz titles to larger venues in 2005.

Those I heard mentioned were Wayville and Brisbane Exhibition Grounds (Ekka) which are not new to speedway but the other one mentioned is, the new Sydney Showgrounds that replaced the old Royale where Fox studios now stand.

I stress it's only a rumour but very interesting if there is a hint of truth in it. Of course I might even have a different rumour than Main Man !!

You have to love rumours don't you?

I for one would love this new format to be tried at the larger traditional venues, I'm sure meetings at venues such as the Ekka and Wayville can attract very large crowds.

I'm also waiting for something positive about another Australian GP, is there a promoter out there willing to take the risk? John Mcneill maybe? Here's that word again..but Rumour has it, he's interested, but it remains to be seen whether he could do it all alone, he was responsible for re introducing speedway to the Sydney Showground in 88, a meeting which was promoted well enough to draw in a huge crowd.......One can only hope.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I know this is "playing with my own bat and ball" but I had a surf on the net and found some pictures of the new Sydney showgrounds here.

Not the worst potential venue I've ever seen in my life.

(Of course this is still all rumours folks but I'm having fun with it !!)

Don't forget the new Sydney Showground has already hosted a speedway event, Australia v USA.

Can't remember the exact year/date though.

Guest Sir Lunchalot
Don't forget the new Sydney Showground has already hosted a speedway event, Australia v USA.

Can't remember the exact year/date though.

Ta WWTBP, I wasn't aware of that. I knew that they had held a speedway meeting with the cars but not the bikes.

That was in my "lost" years before I rediscovered the sport.

Saturday May 1st 1999

Sydney Showground Speedway Homebush

The programme say "The Tradition Returns" with Aust v USA Solo Test Match, Vintage Speedcars and Sidecar Classic.

The meeting was promoted by Terry Poole, with Jim Airey and Ivan Mauger opening proceedings.

My programme isn't filled in but the teams were;

Australia

Mick Poole

Stephen Davies

Troy Butler

Jason Hawkes

USA

Bobby Schwartz

Charlie Venegas

Shawn McConnell

Gary Hicks

I believe the meeting resulted in Australia slaughtering the Americans.

Support solos included the likes of Adam and Ben Shields, Lee Herne, Dave Booth and a certain Rod Colquhoun.

Rumour has it (aren't they wonderful things !!) that IF the Oz titles are a raging success in 2004 then "interested parties" are looking at moving the Oz titles to larger venues in 2005.

Those I heard mentioned were Wayville and Brisbane Exhibition Grounds (Ekka) which are not new to speedway but the other one mentioned is, the new Sydney Showgrounds that replaced the old Royale where Fox studios now stand.

I stress it's only a rumour but very interesting if there is a hint of truth in it. Of course I might even have a different rumour than Main Man !!

;););) could well be a different rumour though!! In fact I've actually been on site at one of the venues and walked the track --and if it comes off have the pictures to use to show the site etc !! Intrigue --isn't it great!! ;););)