British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
heathen79

Dudley Heathens In Team Gb Under 19 Squad

DUDLEY Heathens riders dominate the Great Britain squad for next month’s European Under-19 Team semi-final in Sweden.

The event takes place in Eskilstuna on Saturday August 6 where the young Brits will be up against the hosts, Denmark and Germany.

The Young Lions Management Team of Phil Morris and Neil Vatcher have selected Dudley star Ashley Morris as their skipper and will be joined by fellow Heathens Tom Perry and Brendan Johnson. Mildenhall’s Joe Jacobs completes the four-man team with Richard Franklin named as reserve.

Heathens chairman Nigel Pearson said: “For the Heathens to provide three of the four starting line-up team members plus the reserve is quite remarkable. And I have to say it’s not bad for a club which often gets accused of a win at all costs attitude.

”It underlines the fact that we are working closely with youngsters this season and for Ash to be named skipper of Great Britain Under-19’s is a fantastic honour. Congratulations to Ash, Tom, Brendan and Rich, it’s a terrific moment in their career and I hope they feel proud. We at Dudley Heathens are proud and we wish them well, along with Joe Jacobs, for the event.”

Morris and Perry will be on hand at the evening with Jan O Pedersen on Friday, July 29, at Cradley Heath Liberal Club when there will be some auction items available for fans to bid and back their trip financially. Anybody who is interested in sponsoring any of the Heathens riders can email info@dudleyheathens.co for further information.

Read more: http://cradleyspeedway.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dudley&action=display&thread=790#ixzz1RpJFzCUI

Not sure whether this is the best forum for the thread or perhaps the International forum. Quite interested in this meeting though and wondered if anyone had any good travel advice for a possible trip to Eskilstuna?

You can fly into Vasteras airport from the UK - it used to be Stansted, not sure if it still is. It's not too far from Eskilstuna, they only have one flight in and out in the morning and one later in the day as it's a really small airport, nice place though. It's one of the budget airlines that goes there - Ryanair I think.

You can rent a car at the airport but it is expensive, when I went car hire was £100 per day.

There are a number of hotels nearby, we stayed at the Ibis. Although the rooms were tiny it did the job.

Good news for our boys. It's all extra experience and raising the bar all the time. Oh, and one to ponder for all those that have had a pop at the Heathens regarding the NL being a league for young Brits. :P:wink:

Kyle Howarth and Jason Garrity are both 17 and above all the named riders in the NL averages. Ben Morley & Shane Hazleden, also 17, and Jake Knight, 18, are above everyone but Morris. Obviously I'm not TeamGB manager but after the weak showing by our senior boys last night shouldn't we be taking the strongest possible team to this tournament?

Oh, and I forgot - we could also take Nick Morris, if we wanted to...

Edited by alan_boon

Was just about to post why on earth are Kyle Howarth and Jason Garrity not in this team, they are two of the best under 19 riders, higher averages then all those 4!

Presume Howarth is riding elsewhere? But it should be him and

Garrity

Hazleden

Morris

Perry

I can only assume that Jason is unavailable or turned the opportunity down? Kyle will be riding for Edinburgh at Workington that night I assume? :unsure:

Edited by Killer Cat from Mars

Rob i av to agree where are howarth n garrity but sayin they are better than all four are not true, have to say morris is better than garrity

Rob i av to agree where are howarth n garrity but sayin they are better than all four are not true, have to say morris is better than garrity

I didn't say better, I said 2 of the best, I did say their average are higher then those 4 which is fact.

Nick Morris rode in the NL as a Brit so should be selected to ride for our Under 19 side, the side should really be:

Nick Morris

Kyle Howarth

Ash Morris

Jake Knight

Shane Hazelden

Obviously thats if it was to be done by averages, I'm sure there are reasons the lads going have been selected though, hopefully they can put on a good show and with Wizzer behind them they have a great team manager and mentor.

My first thought was "no Howarth?".

I'm glad we are taking a team to this event, but it should be the best team.

Is the announced side just those who are willing to travel ?

My first thought was "no Howarth?".

I'm glad we are taking a team to this event, but it should be the best team.

Is the announced side just those who are willing to travel ?

Vatcher says "A couple of the squad members were unavailable due to various reasons,"

Shouldnt Cameron Heeps be in the team,im sure i read somewhere he was british now?!!

He should be classed as British yes, but I wouldn't put him in the best 5.

Just wanted to Confirm that Shane was not over looked and was asked to ride but had to turn it down purely for financial reasons. He is strugling finacialy like most of the young riders and could not afford to fund the trip.