British Speedway Forum

No-one can prove that any cheating goes on, but it just seems very strange to me that mediocre riders generally ie Pepe, Kasper and Kolodj can go out and beat world class riders by a huge distance, but in their general league speedway and even the gps, they more often than not struggle. Why is that?

Everyone had a played joker... fair meeting.

Gollob only good because he had the fastest bikes??

Well Jason Crump and Nicki Pedersen are triple world champions... I'm sure they must have quick bikes too.

This is the second time I've seen the bikes blamed. It's all about confidence and set-ups relevant to the track at the time. You have to nail them both.. man AND machine, take in consideration track watering etc. etc. etc.

Even after his Joker and following win, Gollob got carved up and finished 3rd in his next heat. His bike must have been slower then??

And he must have taken his slow bike to the British GP.. as everyone else had faster bikes.

It was basically just a great, hard meeting. Nothing else can be factored in. In other sports, you can be behind. In tennis.. 2 sets down. In football.. 3 nil down.

In speedway, in front of your own fans.. you can be last. Then an inspirational captains role can propel you.

Great meeting, well done to ALL four teams for the great spectacle that it was.. unbelievable to grasp that EACH AND EVERY TEAM were far enough behind the leader to play a joker.

Brilliant!!!!

Maybees aye maybees naw

Oz could have replaced Holder with Crump if they really wanted.

Personally I'd have been happy to give joker ride to Holder, he certainly tried like a bear.

holder has gone up a level this season,imo he will push for a medal in the gps.

just saying hampel wouldn't be the opposition you'd choose ideally.

didn't affect things tho the best team won.

BB watch the re-run at 0030 I know I will.

I don't have Sky mate, I stream it Free on T'Internet... I'm a Weegie remember dude :t::lol:

Edited by BongoBrian

I don't have Sky mate, I stream it Free on T'Internet... I'm a Weegie remember dude :t::lol:

I'll not hold that against you. :wink:

If a man of Crumpie's speedway standing indicates it's been one of the best meetings he's participated in that'll do for me, no matter how it came about.

IMO the Joker ride added to this meeting.

Correct, the most decorated, successful rider on show tonight said something along the lines that it was a priviledge to ride in such a competitive meeting, surely if there were any suspicions of cheating he would have been the first to mention it, he can whinge with the best of them when he wants.

Agreed re the joker, it enhanced the entertainment value of the meeting, even though the Scandinavians failed in theirs it still made the middle of the meeting interesting.

Among the best riders since the late 60's?

Gollob is great on tracks that suit him, big fast tracks. It has taken him YEARS to learn to ride Cardiff. Put him on Lakeside, Monmore Green and he is an average rider. He is also been known to dissapear when track conditions are not 'ideal'.

The true greats down the years could ride tracks of all shapes and sizes and still dominate. I'm not saying he is a bad rider, far from it. But he is far from being an all time great.

So he would struggle on two no mark tracks in a fifth rate speedway country. So bleedin what, Gollob is an awesome rider. Who cares if he might struggle on two trick tracks. :rolleyes:

No-one can prove that any cheating goes on, but it just seems very strange to me that mediocre riders generally ie Pepe, Kasper and Kolodj can go out and beat world class riders by a huge distance, but in their general league speedway and even the gps, they more often than not struggle. Why is that?

National pride, riding for the flag maybe.

National pride, riding for the flag maybe.

Oh of course, thats it then. lol

Edited by scotty2hotty

So he would struggle on two no mark tracks in a fifth rate speedway country. So bleedin what, Gollob is an awesome rider. Who cares if he might struggle on two trick tracks. :rolleyes:

A true 'great' wouldn't struggle. That is my point. Gollob is brilliant on the tracks that suit him, I am not denying that. A top class rider, but not one of the best ever.

Just shows you can't please all of the peeple; all of the time...

...that was the BEST (bar none) speedway meeting I have ever watched on TV, granted I have only been a die-hard for the last few years... but FFS... the racing was everything I would want in a Speedway meeting! :cheers:

To those who have any complaints about this or that??? ...Sincerely, Good on you! :rolleyes:

:wink::P:cheers::drink::party:

Edited by BongoBrian

Poland wins because World Cup is a huge event for them. When Poland arrange the World Cup thry pick a track that suits them very well. Then they add 25000 screaming fans and suddenly they have the atmosphere that would have done Adam Skornicki to à superstar. I am convinced that Poland could have been ridden with Janowski and Pawlicki and still have been standing on the top of the podium.

And to be honest, tonight we had ten GP-riders, some riders that are on there way down some riders on the way up and few riders that actually aint good enough for à World Cup (ie Mads K, Dave W and Jonas D). It harder to score points in à GP then in the WC, that is the reason why Pepe, Kolodziej and KK seems to be top-class riders.

As far as I know the Race-off and the final will be held in Eskilstuna in Sweden, at the stadium where it used to be GPs back in the days.

Congratulations Poland. You did an amazing competition tonight. I am glad Sweden managed to get the bronzemedal even if AJ had an extremly bad evening. But THJ is a man for the future. He Will soon be an ordinary GP-rider.

As they are having the Cardiff GP on an august Bank Holiday weekend, why not have the World Cup Final the day after at the Millenium Stadium. Guaranteed a huge crowd.

A true 'great' wouldn't struggle. That is my point. Gollob is brilliant on the tracks that suit him, I am not denying that. A top class rider, but not one of the best ever.

Maybe you would have said the same about Ivan Mauger at the time, all he had was fast bikes and was quick out of the gate, he wasn't a thrill merchant by any means, just immaculate.

Now Gollob has fast bikes, can gate too but if he misses the gate he just hunts down his opponent in the most thrilling way, there isn't another rider that generates that excitement so consistently for me, that makes him one of the greats in my book.

My favourite rider over the years has to be Peter Collins and when Gollob is in full flight he gives me the same thrills as PC did back in the day.

Better racing in tonight team meeting than any of he GPs this season by a long way!

Spot on SCB, TBH I think that every year.