British Speedway Forum

Thought something was amiss though as for the first 8-9 heats Poland were off the pace then won by the length of a straight. Hope the machine examiner checks all bikes just to be sure nothing is untoward.

Well, damn, I find myself agreeing with Steve Shovlar. Something is amiss in the state of Newport.

But he nails my point exactly, I can underatand coming back and winning races, but coming back and dominating so completely in 6 seperate heats. Every Polish rider had 1 race where they were miles faster than every other rider, and then they tailed off slightly. Gollob's 4th ride was baulked (thank god) by the riders in front, and he didn't get a clear chance to use the bike's straight line speed advantage.

As for complaints from other riders, well, who pays their wages? Do you really expect polish clubs to keep riders who don't toe the line? same deal with sponsors. Right now, POland is far too dominant in the money side of things for the rest to get a really fair deal (hence 3 Gp's in Poland, 2 WC events in Poland etc.) (what's actually wrong with having the 3rd event raceoff in another country to share it out somewhat?

Australia would smash them in Australia.

Why is there never a World Cup event in Australia.

If the final was in Australia, The Poles would get utterly smashed.

Are you sure ?

Have you ever seen a meeting at an Australian track ? I'm guessing none, maybe one.

Nice, tidy racing tracks is what you will find out there - certainly nothing that will give anyone a huge advantage.

And to answer your question as to why there is never a world cup event in Aus, it's simply because no one wants to host it.

Feel free to educate me as to what tracks could and would afford to commit to a meeting like that, and even dream of attracting a 5000+ crowd to even break even.

There is everything wrong with that LOL. How can you be the best EVER in the last 10 years?

So to people who have never seen Mauger, Olsen, Fundin etc how can they compare??

By stats alone???

I didnt say he was the best ever in the last 10 years, dont know how you interpreted it like that.

Just as the GREATS like Ivan, Tricky, Briggs etc Gollob`s record will go before him. He has been at the top of his game for several years and has now finally landed the prize many thought he wouldnt.

Of course that would rank him as a great rider.

Its a bit like modern polls and opinions on music and icons etc.

People currently in vogue and at the top of there game always feature highly in those sort of things. Whether they should really be there or not.

Don`t think there is much of an argument to say that Gollob is one of the best riders of a generation (which is no different to Fundin 60`s, mauger 70/80`s etc).

And that therefore may make him one of the greatest riders.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying Steve.

However the reason I can't place Gollob with the real greats of the sport is simple.

The real greats of the sport could be brilliant on any track shape, size or condition. Gollob is brilliant at most and above average at some.

There-in lies the difference.

Any rider who is crowned world champ, whether its one or 6 titles, will go down as a true great.

Fwiw, I despise of gollob, his attitude smells worse than a tramps armpit. But he has been true entertainment, infact in the 13 years I've been a fan of speedway, along with trick and andreas jonsson, he's been one of the most entertaining riders I've witnessed on track.

So to people who have never seen Mauger, Olsen, Fundin etc how can they compare??

By stats alone???

I didnt say he was the best ever in the last 10 years, dont know how you interpreted it like that.

Just as the GREATS like Ivan, Tricky, Briggs etc Gollob`s record will go before him. He has been at the top of his game for several years and has now finally landed the prize many thought he wouldnt.

Of course that would rank him as a great rider.

Its a bit like modern polls and opinions on music and icons etc.

People currently in vogue and at the top of there game always feature highly in those sort of things. Whether they should really be there or not.

Don`t think there is much of an argument to say that Gollob is one of the best riders of a generation (which is no different to Fundin 60`s, mauger 70/80`s etc).

And that therefore may make him one of the greatest riders.

Give us a break. In an 12 year period Fundin took 5 world titles and 11 podium positions. The only year in that period was when he didn't get on the podium was the year he didn't compete. Gollob shouldn't even be spoken of in the same breath as Fundin, mauger or Rickardson.. Bwitcher had it spot on. Gollob is very good but by any sensible or reasonable test he can't be regarded as a great, at least not yet, and at his age probably never.

How many titles did Gollob win when Rickardson was around ?

Any rider who is crowned world champ, whether its one or 6 titles, will go down as a true great.

Jerzy Szczakeil a true great ? Egon Muller a true great ? Your're having a laugh !

I agree with a lot of what you are saying Steve.

However the reason I can't place Gollob with the real greats of the sport is simple.

The real greats of the sport could be brilliant on any track shape, size or condition. Gollob is brilliant at most and above average at some.

There-in lies the difference.

I agree that has been a flaw of his for years and could count as a reason.

However he was head and shoulders above anyone last season and has several rostrum finishes in his back pocket to lay claim to being up there as a great rider of his time.

Give us a break. In an 12 year period Fundin took 5 world titles and 11 podium positions. The only year in that period was when he didn't get on the podium was the year he didn't compete. Gollob shouldn't even be spoken of in the same breath as Fundin, mauger or Rickardson.. Bwitcher had it spot on. Gollob is very good but by any sensible or reasonable test he can't be regarded as a great, at least not yet, and at his age probably never.

How many titles did Gollob win when Rickardson was around ?

Multi world champions can quite rightly be classed as truly GREAT riders. There is no dispute in that.

It is in your opinion that Gollob isnt worthy to be classed in that field, and im sure many will agree with that.

However from a consistency perspective over the years Gollob has always been in the hunt.

That has to hallmark him as a great rider.

Just my opinion naturally.

No I'm not having a laugh.

You need to be a superb rider to win a world title. Gollob is and has, and is one of the top 3 most popular sportsmen in poland which says it all.

Gollob is a bellend and a legend at the same time. But after crump, nicki and trick, he's been the best in the world over the past 15 years or so.

Thought something was amiss though as for the first 8-9 heats Poland were off the pace then won by the length of a straight. Hope the machine examiner checks all bikes just to be sure nothing is untoward.

The machine examiner may well have been Gollob's dad, as it was when Jason Crump made his famous remarks about "Polish fast" . Just an observation .Not that I would suggest a hint of nepotism, of course.

No I'm not having a laugh.

You need to be a superb rider to win a world title. Gollob is and has, and is one of the top 3 most popular sportsmen in poland which says it all.

Gollob is a bellend and a legend at the same time. But after crump, nicki and trick, he's been the best in the world over the past 15 years or so.

Ah, now you are doing a stevebrum and moving away from your original point and talking specifically about Gollob.

Your comment was that ANY rider who wins a world title will go down as a true great. I have pointed out two occasions where world titles have been won unexpectedly and in controversial circumstances by riders who were not generally regarded as world class material. I accept that Gollob is a superb rider and one of Polands most popular sportsmen but that does not mean ALL riders that win a world title are great riders.

Some world titles have been won in less than satisfactory circumstances by riders who disappeared from the Worlds class radar very soon afterwards. Even more the case with some of the minor placings.

No-one can prove that any cheating goes on, but it just seems very strange to me that mediocre riders generally ie Pepe, Kasper and Kolodj can go out and beat world class riders by a huge distance, but in their general league speedway and even the gps, they more often than not struggle. Why is that?

I'm guessing that you don't watch much Polish speedway then.

PePe is 4th in the Polish league averages with a 9.42 ave. The only non Pole above him is Crump.

If that's struggling in the league then I think a lot of riders would soooo love to struggle at league level.

No other federation makes such an effort, Russia the possible exception but their riders simply not good enough.

LMAO...You think the Russian Federation put in big effort? Where were you on Monday when Russia were tracking 4 riders while Emil sat it out cos the Federation wouldn't pay him!

but you half expected him to be, Ward was the weakest link. Perhaps on this Troy should be ahead of Ward for a wildcard GP entry

Ward certainly did his SGP ambitions no favours with that dire showing, but Watt was clearly worse than him...Having said that, the weakest link in the Aussie team is really Boyce. If he had sucked up his pride and got down on his knees and begged Sully to race, Australia would almost certainly be World Champions now.

THJ looks a real fighter on the big Polish tracks.

THJ looks like a real fighter on every track I have seen him race on (OK, maybe with the exception of Armadale!) I am still surprised that no EL team has moved for him. With the right support he would be a complete steal on his current average.