British Speedway Forum

Once again, another excellent issue of Classic Speedway, especially the interviews with Malcolm Simmons and Tony Robinson and the article on Jack Young.

However, I was very disappointed with Philip Dalling's article, entitled "Eternal divide of Roundheads and Cavaliers."

He likens those who "debunk" the Hoskins myth as Roundheads because they are too dour and apparently don't recognise what the greatest Cavalier of them all, Johnnie Hoskins, did for the sport.

He says, "I find the attempts to debunk the role Johnnie played in the sport's development, which emerge quite regularly from what I regard as the roundhead fraternity somewhat unpleasant."

As one of those who have attempted to get past the myth that Johnnie Hoskins both invented speedway and then brought it to Great Britain, I take great exception to this characterisation. I personally have the greatest respect for Johnnie Hoskins and all he did for speedway. After all, my first visit to speedway and the team I still regard as MY team was New Cross (see my avatar). And who was the promoter there? Why, none other than Roarin' Johnnie Hoskins. He was undoubtedly one of the great showmen of the sport and did much to keep the sport in the forefront of the public eye through his personality and efforts to find ways of publicising the sport. It's a shame there aren't too many around like him today.

But, as a historian, I try to get at the truth of what happened in our sport and its origin and the oft repeated fact, begun by Hoskins himself, that speedway started in West Maitland in 1923 at a meeting organised by himself, is just not true. Not only do I find it interesting to delve into the origins of the sport for its own sake but I think we also owe it to those other pioneers who played such a big part in the origins of speedway whose memory has been completely obliterated by the Hoskins' myth.

Edited by norbold

But, as a historian, I try to get at the truth of what happened in our sport and its origin and the oft repeated fact, begun by Hoskins himself, that speedway started in West Maitland in 1923 at a meeting organised by himself,is just not true. Not only do I find it interesting to delve into the origins of the sport for its own sake but I think we also owe it to those other pioneers who played such a big part in the origins of speedway whose memory has been completely obliterated by the Hoskins' myth.

I suppose it comes down to how one defines what speedway actually is, and even then, it seems highly probable that blokes riding in circles on a dirt surface must have come soon after the invention of the motorcycle... :unsure:

I've just read the Two Articles by Malcolm Simmons in this, the current Issue. I enjoyed them immensely - not least because of the sound COMMON SENSE that Malcolm writes. :approve:

Having got his Book and read it I have come to realise that Malcolm believes in telling things as they are and NOT how we would, necessarily, like things to be. :approve:

Keep up the good work Malcolm. :approve:

Issue 14 is out now and includes...

MALCOLM SIMMONS Exclusive interview

He was one of England’s greatest, finished second in the World Final and won three World Pairs and four World Team Cup winners’ medals, but former England captain and No.1 Malcolm Simmons still reckons he underachieved in speedway. In this in-depth interview Simmo reflects on his early racing days in the Provincial League with Hackney, followed by senior British League spells with West Ham and King’s Lynn – his highs and lows.

Following an illustrious career spanning 27 seasons, few are better qualified to comment on how speedway has changed since he began racing on the shale in 1963, so we also asked the ever-controversial Malcolm for his views on British speedway past and present, which often make grim reading for the modern era!

In a separate feature headlined ‘The Trouble With Speedway’, Simmo says: “When I rode for England there were plenty of riders complaining when they weren’t picked but attitudes have changed and nowadays riding for your country doesn’t mean as much to some people.”

And in a damning indictment of the lack of quality and depth of talent in Britain today, he adds: “You also have to question the attitude of many young British riders. Instead of getting on with the job, some of them are too posey and just want the bit that goes with speedway, without actually putting in the time and effort to become good at it. Most of them are just not good enough.”

Crowned British Champion in 1976, when any number of top riders could have won it, he says: “It’s now an absolute waste of time meeting. You know whose going to win it and the three riders who will contest the final – Harris, Nicholls and an Australian, Tai Woffinden. Well, at the end of every year he talks about ‘going home’ for the winter to recharge his batteries, and home to him is Perth, Western Australia, so in my book he’s an Aussie.

“Scott has won the British title six times but he now only has a couple of others to beat each year. It makes a mockery of our so-called Elite League.”

TONY ROBINSON Exclusive interview

In a Provincial League initially dominated by near-veterans sensing easy pickings, Tony Robinson was a true discovery. The former Belle Vue junior recalls how his big chance seemed to have disappeared until the intervention of another Yorkshireman who made his speedway name in Lancashire, former Belle Vue idol Frank Varey, and how he went on to star status with Sheffield.

CYRIL FRANCIS Q&A

The former Stoke, Wolverhampton and Newport rider recalls the highs and lows of his career, including an off-track accident in Germany that left him with two broken legs, a fractured skull . . . and no insurance.

JACK YOUNG: LEGEND

They called him ‘Laid Back Jack’ but the former Edinburgh sensation and West Ham legend became the first to win back-to-back world titles. In this in-depth profile of the popular Australian, Ivan Mauger pays tribute to the help and advice he received from ‘Youngie’ which kick-started the then young Kiwi’s career.

When West Ham closed at the end of the 1955 season Young returned to Australia for a couple of years, then signed for Coventry. He remained a class act, and during his last season in England, 1961, he was able to work the old magic one last time when he won the Tom Farndon Trophy at New Cross, beating a field of top internationals that included Moore, Briggs, Craven and Bjorn Knutson. There were two more years racing in Australia before retirement in December 1963 after winning the South Australia State Championship.

Young died of emphysema, lung disorder, on August 28, 1987, aged 62. There were stories that he pulled the plug on his own life support machine when he was being treated in his last days. What really happened was that he was in an oxygen tent because even minimal lung function was difficult, and he maintained his sense of humour to the end by asking one of his visitors on the last day for 'a fag'. He died later that day due to insufficient oxygen to maintain brain function.

Jack Young is still revered by older fans in Edinburgh and he has a street named after him on the housing site that used to be West Ham's Custom House stadium.

Plus . . .

Eternal divide of Roundheads and Cavaliers

In trying to distinguish the difference between the two factions, this is an article in defence of Johnnie Hoskins’ proud claim to have been speedway’s founding father.

Tributes to JIMMY GOOCH, LES BEAUMONT, BINGLEY CREE and DON GODDEN.

SECOND STAR – this time it’s Eastbourne teenage sensation DAVE JESSUP.

How one Halifax rider in the 60s quit speedway, found God and became a missionary.

Your letters, GOTE NORDIN centre spread picture after one of his two Internationale victories at Wimbledon and the 1970 WEMBLEY LIONS in full colour.

http://www.retro-speedway.com

The Magazine as usual keeps up the high standard with some excellent articles, shame then that it publishes what I consider a propaganda article by Philip Dalling. I can only assume it was written with a view to help pay the mortgage and his tongue was firmly in his cheek, if not, then his theatrical attempts to draw a parallel between the Hoskins factions, Cavaliers and Roundheads fell flat. It is perhaps unwise of Phillip to use that analogy, as the Cavaliers in their desire to discredit Cromwell and the Roundheads re-wrote history to suit themselves. Equally bizarre is the comment that facts published by historians particularly in Australia are in some way distasteful. Is the truth that unpalatable? I would like to know how much research Phillip has done on Australian Speedway history. In the apparent attempt to put more spin on Hoskins career the roles played by those who deserve the credit are played down, although Phillip grudgingly admits they played a part. The article I believe infers that the dedicated band of enthusiasts who research speedway history are in some way part of a conspiracy to discredit J S Hoskins . . Again this story denies credit to those who deserve it, pushed into the shadows once more by the Hoskins propaganda machine.

The only evidence Phillip offers for Hoskins contribution to speedway is the fact he is apparently remembered by many. :wink:

Edited by Nigel