Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Silver Helmet Memories

Thanks to all those who contributed to the Golden Helmet thread - some of your views have been included in our GH feature which appears in Issue 45 of the magazine. It went to press today and should be with subscribers in about a week.

As a follow-up, we will be running a similar feature on the SILVER HELMET in Issue 46, which we'll begin working on at the end of Sept.

So before then - ASAP - please let us have your personal memories of SH match-races from the Backtrack era of 1970 (when it was introduced at BL2 level), right up to the National League in 1990.

My first memory was seeing Ipswich's John Louis defend it against Colin Sanders at Romford early in 1971.

Over to you...

Joe v Tom

To expand; These 2 riders dominated the Silver Helmet over the 5-year period, 1975-'79, each having a whole year unbeaten, - Joe in '76 before moving up a division to

Hull, - Tom in 78, plus most of '79, until a broken leg in August of that year caused him to forfeit the Match Race Championship. http://speedwaychampions.com/BritishMatchRaceChmpshp.aspx

The 2 met twice, first in '75 when Tom as the Holder lost to Challenger Joe 1-2, 0-2.

A year later Tom challenged Joe unsuccessfully at Teesside and at Berwick; result 2-1 & 2-0 in Joe's favour.

Super Steve Lawson winning and then defending the helmet for the whole of the 1982 season :approve: He and Steve Wilcock were nominated to challenge for the helmet, after winter holder Mark Courtney moved up to the BL. If memory serves me right after beating Wilcok he went on to defeat Steve Naylor of Rye House, John Barker of Exeter and Simon Wigg. The night he raced Wiggy at Craighead park was probably the wettest meeting I have ever witnessed :shock: The ironic thing is he then lost it through default at Glasgows first home meeting the following season against Middlesbrough. This was the year they introduced the one off race against the top scorer and Steve was unwell and missed the meeting, handing the helmet to Middlesbrough reserve Paul Price (?)Not very fair, but there you go :rolleyes:

I can also remember the excitment when he took on and beat Martin Yeates - whose bike had the shiniest chrome I had ever seen the things you remember :lol: - before losing to Mike Ferreira in 1981. I also seem to recall him having his first crack at it in 1979, against Tom Owen perhaps?

Like most people have been saying about the Golden Helmet, the Silver Helmet also seemed to hold a lot of prestige back then and speaking to Steve Lawson on Easy Tiger a while back, he said that season long defence of the helmet was one his proudest moments in speedway.

There were also some atmospheric nights at a packed Shawfield Stadium in the late 80s when Kenny McKinna was taking on all comers in the one off race.

Edited by mervjankefanclub

I recall Richard Green having it for a short while in 1989. Very entertaining it was too. He won it from Berwick's Mark Courtney after a league match at Exeter. As I recall, the Berwich team management (poss Dick Barrie) even replaced Courtney with a reserve in his last programmed ride, so he could "psyche himself up" for the match race. Unfortunately, you can't out-psyche a psycho and Greeny romped it. He then went off to defend it at Hackney and after seeing the results appear on teletext that Exeter had been thrashed and Steve Schofield had scored a 15 point max, I assumed Greeny's reign was over. I assumed wrong as a few minutes later teletext gave me the great news: "Silver Helmet: R Green bt S Schofield". Ah, the simple joys of teletext sport, the fore-father of internet text commentary... :wink:

• Like 1

C'mon, is there anybody else out there who can remember the Silver Helmet and who can or is willing to share those memories with us?

Four responses is shockingly apathetic!

Everyone else must be on Facebook or Twitting about what they had for breakfast and what they will be watching on TV tonight...

Rant over.

Martin Dixon v Steve Schofield at Cleveland Park in I think 1988.

They passed and re-passed for the whole 4 laps and threw the bikes at each other. No quarter was given before Dicko drifted wide on the last bend of lap 4 allowing Steve to creep up the kerb. Dicko crossed the line so fast he piled into the fence on turn one!

I spoke to Dicko in person about this race last year and he said he dived under Steve so hard on bend 3 on the last lap that he struggled to stay on the the bike resulting in him having to drift out wide.

He also said that Schofield was a good friend and one of the nicest people you could meet in speedway.

In my opinion this was 2 born racers going at it hammer and tong for 4 laps. Pure magic and best of all I've got it on DVD!

I recall taking the silver helmet from Peterborough's Roy Carter following Saints unexpected 39-38 win on 7th of August 1972, after which team manager Alan Chorlton passed me a cardboard box containing the trophy advising me to ' take it home and show it to my mates down the pub '. Unfortunately he had completely forgotten that we had a league fixture at Ellesmere Port the very next night so I declined the offer, more concerned at losing or damaging it than anything else, a meeting at which I as a relative newcomer in my first season had not a ' cat in hell's chance ' of retaining it against the Gunners top man on the night, who as it happened turned out to be 'flying' Paul Tyrer. Paul did indeed relinquish me of the silverware. The point is, had we not had another meeting so soon afterwards I certainly would have been tempted to taken it home and milked it a little, who knows I may have had a few free pints off my friends - now that would have been worthwhile ! they were a tight bunch those lads.

Rod Haynes.

My memory may not be entirely accurate with regard to the year, it was either 1984 or 1985. Hackney vs Poole and the Silver Helmet was between Neil Middleditch, the holder, and Alan Mogridge,the challenger.I was seated in the back straight grandstand near the 3rd bend which was where Moggo fell as Middlo went under him. Now, from where I was sitting there appeared to be no contact but Moggo wasn't happy and was on the mike complaining about the ref but not Middlo's riding.

This is the one incident that sticks in my mind relating to the silver helmet.

Okay, time does play tricks with the old grey cells, - you can check any doubts out Here

It was '85, but Mogridge was the Holder and Middleditch the Challenger.

After taking the Helmet on that occasion it proved to be his only success, - and even that dubious, some may suggest - , for Middleditch lost it at his first defence to Paul Thorp.

Edited by britmet

The first ever Silver Helmet match race took place at Romford on their opening night of the season in 1970.

Was anyone on the BF at Brooklands that night to see Bombers' Ross Gilbertson (nominated to defend the title on the back of his 1969 record) beat Ipswich's Ron Bagley?

Ron then beat Ross the following night? to become the new holder, such is the rate at which the old Helmet would frequently change hands.

C'mon, please keep the memories coming...

I recall taking the silver helmet from Peterborough's Roy Carter following Saints unexpected 39-38 win on 7th of August 1972, after which team manager Alan Chorlton passed me a cardboard box containing the trophy advising me to ' take it home and show it to my mates down the pub '. Unfortunately he had completely forgotten that we had a league fixture at Ellesmere Port the very next night so I declined the offer, more concerned at losing or damaging it than anything else, a meeting at which I as a relative newcomer in my first season had not a ' cat in hell's chance ' of retaining it against the Gunners top man on the night, who as it happened turned out to be 'flying' Paul Tyrer. Paul did indeed relinquish me of the silverware. The point is, had we not had another meeting so soon afterwards I certainly would have been tempted to taken it home and milked it a little, who knows I may have had a few free pints off my friends - now that would have been worthwhile ! they were a tight bunch those lads.

Rod Haynes.

That's a good story, Rod. At least you had the honour of holding the SH, no matter how briefly, so look out for a name-check in the next issue of Backtrack. Do you have a pic of you with the famous headgear that we could possibly use with the feature?

As it happens, Roy Carter had won five consecutive challenges before you took the title from him.

And Roy originally won it from . . . Paul Tyrer!

IF memory serves me correctly I THINK John Louis (Ipswich) defended the Silver Helmet (successfully) at Sunderland against George Barclay sometime between 1971 and 1974.

My pal (scarletrider) reckons that Dave Gatenby (Sunderland) challenged for the Silver Helmet at some stage too.

Sorry tmc - that's the best I can do.

I was talking to Tom Owen at Stoke last season about his rivality with John Jackson.

Tom recalled a Silver Helmet clash against John Jackson at Ellesmere Port (in 1979) when the track was soaking wet, John didn't want to ride due to track conditions. The promoters offered John & Tom extra money to ride due to a larger than normal crowd for a Sunday meeting. Tom was quite happy ride without the inducement, but John was very reluctant, however he eventually accepted the offer and promptly lost the second leg 2-0.

Tom was clearly the winner here by retaining the Silver Helmet and earning some extra cash !