Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Silver Helmet Memories

IF memory serves me correctly I THINK John Louis (Ipswich) defended the Silver Helmet (successfully) at Sunderland against George Barclay sometime between 1971 and 1974.

My pal (scarletrider) reckons that Dave Gatenby (Sunderland) challenged for the Silver Helmet at some stage too.

Sorry tmc - that's the best I can do.

John Louis actually beat Russ Dent in 1971 after both Dent and George Barclay had earlier been beaten by Alan Wilkinson (of Rochdale).

Don't think Dave Gatenby ever had a tilt at it in his Sunderland days.

John Louis actually beat Russ Dent in 1971 after both Dent and George Barclay had earlier been beaten by Alan Wilkinson (of Rochdale).

Don't think Dave Gatenby ever had a tilt at it in his Sunderland days.

Cheers Tony. :) :)

Sunderland's Dave Gatenby did challenge Workington's Lou Sansom for the Silver Helmet on the 14/10/73. Having scored a maximum in the meeting itself, Dave suffered mechanical problems in the second half Snowball Trophy and the Silver Helmet Challenge. Sunderland won the meeting 41-37.

Bob Ferry

"The Mackem"

Sunderland's Dave Gatenby did challenge Workington's Lou Sansom for the Silver Helmet on the 14/10/73. Having scored a maximum in the meeting itself, Dave suffered mechanical problems in the second half Snowball Trophy and the Silver Helmet Challenge. Sunderland won the meeting 41-37.

Bob Ferry

"The Mackem"

Great Research Bob. :approve: :approve:

Poor memory, long time ago, early 80s I think, Ashley Pullen won it at Peterborough. I was approx 11 years old, went to the pits afterwards to cheer him, and he came and chatted to me, and let me put it on. Was well made up. Pretty tight though, and I was only 11!

Cheers all

James

Martin Dixon v Steve Schofield at Cleveland Park in I think 1988.

They passed and re-passed for the whole 4 laps and threw the bikes at each other. No quarter was given before Dicko drifted wide on the last bend of lap 4 allowing Steve to creep up the kerb. Dicko crossed the line so fast he piled into the fence on turn one!

I spoke to Dicko in person about this race last year and he said he dived under Steve so hard on bend 3 on the last lap that he struggled to stay on the the bike resulting in him having to drift out wide.

He also said that Schofield was a good friend and one of the nicest people you could meet in speedway.

In my opinion this was 2 born racers going at it hammer and tong for 4 laps. Pure magic and best of all I've got it on DVD!

My best Silver Helmet memory also involved Martin Dixon, in an epic tussle with our (Wimbledon) top man at the time, Neville Tatum. In the Dons NL era, probably about 1986/7 - a great race with the two of them seeming to wrestle each other and their bikes round the bend at one point. Approx 25 years later it still sticks in the memory as one of the bst races I've seen. No doubt someone will post a correction that it wasn't a silver helmet race at all but that's what I recall!

John Williams

My best Silver Helmet memory also involved Martin Dixon, in an epic tussle with our (Wimbledon) top man at the time, Neville Tatum. In the Dons NL era, probably about 1986/7 - a great race with the two of them seeming to wrestle each other and their bikes round the bend at one point. Approx 25 years later it still sticks in the memory as one of the bst races I've seen. No doubt someone will post a correction that it wasn't a silver helmet race at all but that's what I recall!

John Williams

'Dicko' did beat Neville Tatum to win the Silver Helmet in 1987.

I remember Nicki Pedersen having the silver helmet for a while when he rode for Newcastle and then losing it to Kevin Little at Brough Park

Edited by KEITH M

My memory may not be entirely accurate with regard to the year, it was either 1984 or 1985. Hackney vs Poole and the Silver Helmet was between Neil Middleditch, the holder, and Alan Mogridge,the challenger.I was seated in the back straight grandstand near the 3rd bend which was where Moggo fell as Middlo went under him. Now, from where I was sitting there appeared to be no contact but Moggo wasn't happy and was on the mike complaining about the ref but not Middlo's riding.

This is the one incident that sticks in my mind relating to the silver helmet.

Didn't Neil ride for Arena in 85?

'Dicko' did beat Neville Tatum to win the Silver Helmet in 1987.

Thanks for this tmc, good to know my memory isn't totally shot.

From other contributions, Martin Dixon seems to have been part of a number of memorable silver helmet races. He was certainly one of the great racers of that league/era anyway, but over an above that I wonder if some riders particularly enjoy/excel at the match race format?

John Williams