British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cagey

Polish GP

Has anyone been to Bydgoszcz before?, I want to go this year, can anyone give me any tips re: travel, accommodation etc.

Went to Bydgoszcz in 2001 - the place is just awesome. Atmosphere racing everything, the Poles are crazy / wild ! Its an amazing track.

Bonus, you get to pick a Polish Extraleague match on the Sunday to watch if you so wish. (eg Torun is 1 hour away from Bydgoszcz)

We flew to Berlin then used the train across to Bydgoszc, but that was using BUZZ who have been bought out by RyanAir who in their wisdom have zapped the route !

I know plenty of people that have also flown into Warsaw then trained it back to Bydgoszcz.

Cagey why don't you message Rico :?: Bydgoszcz is practically his second home ;) so he should be able to help you.

You will find him on page eight of the memberslist :)

Cagey why don't you message Rico :?: Bydgoszcz is practically his second home ;) so he should be able to help you.

You will find him on page eight of the memberslist :)

Or better still Rico will come to you 8)

Bydgoszcz - aaah speedway heaven ! :approve::P :twisted: ;)

We fly into Warsaw (worth a couple of days sightseeing for sure) either on Lot or BA, depends who is cheapest at the time. Train from Warsaw Central to Bydgoszcz takes around 4 hours (http://www.polrail.com/pkprozklad.html for timetables.)

As for accomodation, we are booked into the Pod Orlem (http://www.hotelewpolsce.com.pl/podorlem.htm), a beautiful hotel, which is around £50 per room per night including breakfast. Other options are City Hotel (http://www.polhotels.com/Bydgoszcz/City/index2.htm) which is more modern and slightly closer to the track. Again this is around the £50 per room mark - this one does have the added advantage of being above the club where all the riders etc go after the meeting (I include our party in the etc :D ) In the past I have stayed at the Ratuszowy (http://www.polhotels.com/Bydgoszcz/Ratuszowy/) which is a bit cheaper and far more basic than the others I have mentioned, but we had no complaints - depends on your taste.

There are plenty of other hotels, just give the web a search and you should come up with something to suit. You'll probably find some of the hotels fully booked for the GP, but rooms in the good hotels usually come available late on.

As someone else has mentioned there is usually an Extraleague match on reasonably locally on the Sunday - Torun is apparently a beautiful town and well worth going to early (unless like last year when it was rained off - we asked the taxi driver to take us back into town, but he dropped us back off at the train station, so we headed straight back to Bydgoszcz.) Have also been to Pila which is about the same distance as Torun.

If you need anything specifically give me a shout. The Rough Guide or similar also comes in handy when over there. Poland is a good place to go - I guess that's why I keep going back. Roll on Katowice !

Rico :P:P:P :roll:

Torun is apparently a beautiful town

Certainly is Rico. Narrow streets and old buildings on the bank of that huge river, the railway station though is a taxi ride across the bridge on the other side of the water.

Ate in a nice Bistro called The Sphinx after the Torun-Gorzow match in 2001, and Tony Rickardsson and Andreas Jonsson were both in there winding down.

I probably won't go to as many GP's this year - but Bydgoszcz is on the calendar !

If you do go make sure you sit in the Kop with the locals (Polonia Bydgoszcz fans) exiting turn 2 just by the pits entrance - I've got some excellent video footage - the atmosphere is all on its own !