British Speedway Forum
jellyman

Should There Be A British Rider In The 2012 Grand Prix Series?

Are there currently any British riders who deserve a wild card on merit alone?

If not, should a rider be included simply because he is British as Great Britain is considered to be one of the major speedway nations even if current form doesn't necessarily back that up?

Obviously I'm assuming that Bomber doesn't make the top 8.

Bomber has had far too many chances and generally isn't up to it.

If he gets a wild card next year the GP series will become worthless. If they insist on having a Brit in then they should give it to Barker. I think he could ruffle a few feathers and he would add some entertainment along with Darky to counterbalance Piotr Protesiewiczzzzz and Byawne Pedersen.

I would also have to question Nicki Pedersen's right to a wild card should he not improve on his current form and position. He may be 3 x World Champion and at times controversial but he is on the decline now and failing to qualify two years running would not warrant a return in my view.

The simple answer to that question is no.

Harris has had his chances and is just not good enough, his performance last night was dire.

Out of Barker, Bridger and Kennett possibly offer Barker a wild card at Cardiff next year, of the three he showed some fight in the WTC.

The fact Jens Rassmussen laced his own pocket so many years ago is the ONLY reason we are where we are in the World Championship stakes ... as a speedway nation allowing for how many leagues we have, how many meetings we can supply & the variation of track sizes available, we are still number one.

As for a Brit next season, only Wuffy deserves a chance now he has finally started to get his mind fully focused back on speedway following the death of his father.

Harris still has a chance to get himself up the standings, but hard to see that happening after last night. If Bomber can't make a good case in the remaining rounds then I don't think there should be a Brit for next year. As it stands 9th-12th positions are held by Pedersen, Lindgren, Lindback and Bomber. Substitute Darcy for Lindback, who has already qualified, and you could see Bomber sneaking in.

No other Brit should be considered in my opinion, none of them have done anything like enough to be included.

As the other posts suggest,the answer is no.

There cant be a GB rider in next years GP series out of convenience,there would be unfair on a more deserving rider,like Ward for example.

Should be the world's top 15 regardless of nationality. Bomber unfortunately doesn't qualify, nor anyone else!

Last night demonstrates perfectly how pathetic the situation has become, but when you have 'promoters' who have a totally different agenda to that of the development of the national team.

I haven't been to a match for almost 10 years, in truth I have much better things to spend my money on, elite league speedway is dull, GP is a great product but I have little interest because I want to see a British rider.

The people running the sport and the promoters have not invested in british riders, choosing instead investing in cheap eastern european our southern hemisphere labour, that lack of investment and lack of strategy is why we now have the real threat of no British rider in the GP series.

In terms of the talent to replace Chris;

Kennett - He is not a world class rider, he's found his level

Woffinden - Thinks he's a world class rider, but needs to grow up

Bridger - Here's a guy that I never understand, whoever is advising him should be taken out and shot, little/no talent - the phrase 'all the gear - no idea' comes to mind, but yet he seems to think he's next years world champion

Barker - Nice lad, plenty of endeavour, but doubling up this season?? could he make something of a wild card - in short No

Not sure what the implications are for British Speedway as I don't follow it closely enough, but I sincerely hope it hits the British Promoters, those at Poole and Peterborough in particular who seem to have forgotten British Riders. I am in business, quite successful too - it is not rocket science, look at Poland last night, stadium full of Polish people supporting successful, world class Polish riders, people watching that for the first time on TV will be tempted to go to their local Polish track to see this for themselves = potential season ticket customer!

What a very sorry state speedway has become in this country

Last night demonstrates perfectly how pathetic the situation has become, but when you have 'promoters' who have a totally different agenda to that of the development of the national team.

I haven't been to a match for almost 10 years, in truth I have much better things to spend my money on, elite league speedway is dull, GP is a great product but I have little interest because I want to see a British rider.

The people running the sport and the promoters have not invested in british riders, choosing instead investing in cheap eastern european our southern hemisphere labour, that lack of investment and lack of strategy is why we now have the real threat of no British rider in the GP series.

In terms of the talent to replace Chris;

Kennett - He is not a world class rider, he's found his level

Woffinden - Thinks he's a world class rider, but needs to grow up

Bridger - Here's a guy that I never understand, whoever is advising him should be taken out and shot, little/no talent - the phrase 'all the gear - no idea' comes to mind, but yet he seems to think he's next years world champion

Barker - Nice lad, plenty of endeavour, but doubling up this season?? could he make something of a wild card - in short No

Not sure what the implications are for British Speedway as I don't follow it closely enough, but I sincerely hope it hits the British Promoters, those at Poole and Peterborough in particular who seem to have forgotten British Riders. I am in business, quite successful too - it is not rocket science, look at Poland last night, stadium full of Polish people supporting successful, world class Polish riders, people watching that for the first time on TV will be tempted to go to their local Polish track to see this for themselves = potential season ticket customer!

What a very sorry state speedway has become in this country

Maybe if people went to see Speedway rather than staying away for a decade it'd be in a better state.

Incidentally, last time I looked, Kyle Newman was a British rider who represented the Pirates, but we mustn't stand in the way of yet another gratuitous pop at Poole, eh?

Edited by BigFatDave

Maybe a few years without a british rider is what is needed, Look at the Australians and Polish talent then look at us. We are years behind and even with the Belle Vue project it needs somebody to take charge and help the young riders come through.

eg, Mark Loram, Kelvin Tatum or even Scott Nicholls & Harris.

On and Off the track British speedway is having a shocker, the fans can see it so god only knows what goes on at the head of oour sport.

Until we start 80cc racing in the Uk like other countries we got no chance . As for Harris no way should he get a wild card at thr expense of Darcy or THJ or even Troy if Harris gets a wild card the only reason will be his name has GB after it and to me that's not a good enough reason .

I think we need to answer the question:

Why would any Brit want to become a full time professional speedway rider?

Can it support a family, pay bills and pay a mortgage? Until it can where is the incentive?

Britain actually does a lot for world speedway... but not for Brits. We bring on young Danes, Swedes, Poles and most of all Australians. So yes I think for that a Brit does deserve a place in the GP's in the current format. If it was done through proper qualifying rounds, like the old one off final, then I can't see a Brit getting through.

I agree Haza very poor show again by Harris last night and he will need a pick next year but doesnt deserve one at all the only way he would get one is because of Cardiff but I want to see the best 16 riders and not someone in the GP because it's there home GP but it's about putting bums on seats and that's all they are bothered about