British Speedway Forum
jellyman

Should There Be A British Rider In The 2012 Grand Prix Series?

There has never been a World Final or GP season where the best 15 or 16 riders have ridden in since Speedway started.

But there's been plenty where they have had the opportunity to do so by qualifying during that season and every rider in that World Final had earned his right to be there, not just given a place because of nationality or favour.

Maybe if people went to see Speedway rather than staying away for a decade it'd be in a better state.

Incidentally, last time I looked, Kyle Newman was a British rider who represented the Pirates, but we mustn't stand in the way of yet another gratuitous pop at Poole, eh?

Pretty naff response I must say, the issue is not to do with gate receipts its is how the sport is being run - the lack of British riders isn't to do with a lack of funds

I will congratulate you however on you being able to unearth some British talent in that Australian Speedway Academy on the south coast!

Think that the mould of ensuring all countries presenting GP`s having a representation was broken in yesterdays GP with Ward bein given the wild card pick ahead of the presenting nation.

I`m sure that the Brits would want a British rider to support at Cardiff but i doubt not having one would distract from the attendance.

Dont think the atmosphere would be the same tho as Harris, woffy or whoever represents their country gets the mightiest roar at every time they are on track.

Think BSI should ensure the wildcard for Cardiff is a GB rider tho at the very least. Will make the British final even more vital.

Harris has gone backwards this season big time and im not sure there is a reasonable enough argument to keep him in next season.

The best way of sorting out riders for next years grand prix is to give those that miss out on the top 8 a chance to compete with those that missed out on the GP qualifier a chance to re-qualify by a meaningful meeting.

You can still have picks - but maybe 2 less.

There really isnt any Brit that at this stage is worthy of a pick - not woffy and certainly not Barker. Neither have done enough this season to show that they would warrant it.

Last night demonstrates perfectly how pathetic the situation has become, but when you have 'promoters' who have a totally different agenda to that of the development of the national team.

I haven't been to a match for almost 10 years, in truth I have much better things to spend my money on, elite league speedway is dull, GP is a great product but I have little interest because I want to see a British rider.

The people running the sport and the promoters have not invested in british riders, choosing instead investing in cheap eastern european our southern hemisphere labour, that lack of investment and lack of strategy is why we now have the real threat of no British rider in the GP series.

In terms of the talent to replace Chris;

Kennett - He is not a world class rider, he's found his level

Woffinden - Thinks he's a world class rider, but needs to grow up

Bridger - Here's a guy that I never understand, whoever is advising him should be taken out and shot, little/no talent - the phrase 'all the gear - no idea' comes to mind, but yet he seems to think he's next years world champion

Barker - Nice lad, plenty of endeavour, but doubling up this season?? could he make something of a wild card - in short No

Not sure what the implications are for British Speedway as I don't follow it closely enough, but I sincerely hope it hits the British Promoters, those at Poole and Peterborough in particular who seem to have forgotten British Riders. I am in business, quite successful too - it is not rocket science, look at Poland last night, stadium full of Polish people supporting successful, world class Polish riders, people watching that for the first time on TV will be tempted to go to their local Polish track to see this for themselves = potential season ticket customer!

What a very sorry state speedway has become in this country

Lots of good points here!

Sam Ermolenko stated in GP last night that he was taking an interest in the british under 15's and mentioned a young lad by name (which escapes me at the moment - sorry), Sam also takes an interest in Ashley Morris at Wolves and helps out where and when he can.

An American Guy Helping out the young Brits!

Until someone like BSPA or similar takes a real interest and invests time and money in bringing young british riders through we will continue to be a poor relation when you look at nations like Australia, Sweden, Denmark, Poland etc!

I think we need to answer the question:

Why would any Brit want to become a full time professional speedway rider?

Can it support a family, pay bills and pay a mortgage? Until it can where is the incentive?

Yes it can. Comfortably.

No. Not only based on nationality, which seems to be the case this year. Pedersen is also having his second crap season, and should not rest comfortably on his 3xWC. Britain will have to rely on GP wild cards next year, and perhaps next year someone will qualify through the challenge. People are slagging of Bjarne and PePe, but they won it fair and square. As for Ward, I hope he'll make it work should he get picked out, but look at Kolodziej, he's not having the season of his carrer, is he? He looked like a rocket last year, but have done so-so in the GP.

But picking out riders on nationality is wrong, wrong, wrong.

No. Not only based on nationality, which seems to be the case this year. Pedersen is also having his second crap season, and should not rest comfortably on his 3xWC. Britain will have to rely on GP wild cards next year, and perhaps next year someone will qualify through the challenge. People are slagging of Bjarne and PePe, but they won it fair and square. As for Ward, I hope he'll make it work should he get picked out, but look at Kolodziej, he's not having the season of his carrer, is he? He looked like a rocket last year, but have done so-so in the GP.

But picking out riders on nationality is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Kolodziej has had injured kidneys all year hence his absence last night and I would guess his poor form all series.

You basically echoed my points on Nicki though. He should have to qualify like the rest now.

I am a huge Harris fan for his racing style, and on his day (given the right track) he can match anyone, but last night showed that in general he is not consistent enough and therefore I think it would be hard to give him a wildcard. I would love to see him take a season out of the GP and then qualify on his own merit for 2013 and come back refreshed.

I am a huge Harris fan for his racing style, and on his day (given the right track) he can match anyone, but last night showed that in general he is not consistent enough and therefore I think it would be hard to give him a wildcard. I would love to see him take a season out of the GP and then qualify on his own merit for 2013 and come back refreshed.

Do you really think Harris is capable of getting to the GPs through the qualifiers. :blink:

As a top GP rider he should be able to adapt to any track conditions,which he obviously cant.

Do you really think Harris is capable of getting to the GPs through the qualifiers. :blink:

That's my point, if he qualifies then he will be worthy of his place in the GP's for 2013.

I just can't see how a British rider in next years series can be justified. Harris is the best British rider and he's just not good enough. I see people are mention giving Ben Barker a go. With all due respect, the fact we're even considering Barker shows how low the standard is.

Edited by home straight

I am a huge Harris fan for his racing style, and on his day (given the right track) he can match anyone, but last night showed that in general he is not consistent enough

He was actually the most consistent rider on show last night. :)

That's my point, if he qualifies then he will be worthy of his place in the GP's for 2013.

My point is I dont think he is capable of making the GPs through the qualifiers.He did make a decent fist of the latter GPs last year and you wouldve thought he wouldve kicked on this time round,but he has gone backwards.

There are NO Brits good enough to be given a Wildcard IMO.Chances of any qualifing through GP Challenge in the near future look slim.

There are NO Brits good enough to be given a Wildcard IMO.Chances of any qualifing through GP Challenge in the near future look slim.

Sadly I agree with you,theres just nobody good enough at present,and that is a sad state of affairs of speedway in this country.