British Speedway Forum
jellyman

Should There Be A British Rider In The 2012 Grand Prix Series?

The best way of sorting out riders for next years grand prix is to give those that miss out on the top 8 a chance to compete with those that missed out on the GP qualifier a chance to re-qualify by a meaningful meeting.

Of course, they used to have nos 9-16 in the previous year's Grand Prix racing against the top qualifiers in the Grand Prix Challenge for the final places in the Grand Prix line up, but they had to stop that because Andy Smith kept qualifying through this method!

That used to be really funny. I think the only way they would have stopped Andy from qualifying every year would have been to kidnap him and tie him up somewhere miles away from the track. :D

I think we need to answer the question:

Why would any Brit want to become a full time professional speedway rider?

Can it support a family, pay bills and pay a mortgage? Until it can where is the incentive?

Britain actually does a lot for world speedway... but not for Brits. We bring on young Danes, Swedes, Poles and most of all Australians. So yes I think for that a Brit does deserve a place in the GP's in the current format. If it was done through proper qualifying rounds, like the old one off final, then I can't see a Brit getting through.

A mortgage should not be a consideration for a speedway rider, the problem is they are not hungry enough, or maybe just not good enough e.g. Kennet, Bridger

A mortgage should not be a consideration for a speedway rider

Yeah, they love living on the streets.

Don't think a Brit should be in the series next year, but if the BSI do feel there should be one then for me it has to be Woffinden. Harris has shown year on year he isn't really up to standard and at least Tai is young and very talented and has the potential to be a World Championship contender in year's to come.

Pretty naff response I must say, the issue is not to do with gate receipts its is how the sport is being run - the lack of British riders isn't to do with a lack of funds

I will congratulate you however on you being able to unearth some British talent in that Australian Speedway Academy on the south coast!

RF, if people such as yourself don't attend Speedway and even go so far as to boast about it, then where's the money going to come from to develop Juniors? No money = no developement of juniors; of course it's all to do with funding - there is no Magic Pudding.

As far as I know ALL the Australians who've ridden for Poole have been fully trained and capable of winning at the top level, due to their lengthy apprenticeship as juniors in Oz, entirely financed by themselves and their parents and sponsors, so your gratuitous gibe doesn't hold any water, I'm afraid.

Edited by BigFatDave

Once again a Debate that NEVER took place when you had to QUALIFY for the World Final.

GIVING somebody a place for ANY reason is MORALLY wrong and cannot be justified in any Sport.

This 'we must get the best Riders in the G.P's' makes me sick. A CONTRIVED System that ends up with a CONTRIVED World Champion.

Top EIGHT automatically Qualify the Rules say - no they don't - they are GIVEN a place the following year. For those who say that they 'qualified' by getting in to the 'top eight' I would say - they got in to the Top eight THIS year. THAT has absolutely NOTHING to do with NEXT year.

B****y FARCE if you ask me.

Perhaps it all depends on whether BSI's british sponsors want a brit in ...........

Perhaps it all depends on whether BSI's british sponsors want a brit in ...........

Hit the nail on the head, Trees.

It's about time British riders were banned from competing in all levels of speedway. They are a constant disappointment to fans. Take Ben Barker. He's been talked of for years as a Grand Prix rider but hasn't made it yet. How many people has he let down? Disgusting!!! How many young Danes have been talked about as the next Nikki Pedersen but haven't made an impact? Ban them as well.

If no brit is good enought then bad luck

top 16 in the world, that is the goal

If no brit is good enought then bad luck

top 16 in the world, that is the goal

But how do you decide who the top 16 in the World are? Harris made the semi's in Malilla does that mean he's in the top 8? Ward made the top 3 in Torun, Does that mean he's in the top 3, If you held a Grand Prix at Monmore Green there's a pretty good chance that Lindgren would win it, so does that mean he's then the best in the World?

What would the criteria have to be to be classed as one of the top 16 riders in the World?

Once again a Debate that NEVER took place when you had to QUALIFY for the World Final.

GIVING somebody a place for ANY reason is MORALLY wrong and cannot be justified in any Sport.

You need to check your facts.

Peter Craven was seeded direct to the final as holder in 1956. Morally wrong and unjustified?

short answer NO.....long answer fill that in yourself :rofl:

Harris deserved to be there this year as he made the top 8.

But 2012 ...you are having a giraffe.

Artem Laguta is awful but deserves a place as he qualified.

Same as the three who did the same in the QR final.

The Brits don't take that route seriously as they know one will get in as a charity pick.

This needs to stop.

Let Brit riders earn a place and maybe one might rise from the dross and do a Havelock or Loram and win the world title.

I like Bomber he is a good rider but deserves nothing that he does not earn.

Lots of young riders deserve a pick over him.

Hancock, Pedersen, Emil, AJ would all deserve a pick if they had a bad season but none of the Brits fall into that catagory.

Brit speedway is run badly and until it wakes up will never have a world champ again.

Wild cards for Brit riders should be made on how much the riders deserves it rather than thier nationality.

Wuffy and even that crazy man Barker have shown promise this year. Ben was the best Brit in the SWC. So maybe 2013 might be the year for one or both of them. But they gotta earn their place.

Having charity pick Brits in the GP has not worked as mostly they stunk the GP out.

Yes worse riders have gotten there but mostly they earned a place by qualifying.

It's not about who the top 16 are because nobody can come up with a criteria for gauging that.

It's about common sense.

The people who do the picking know who is worth a punt the same as most speedway fans.

Darcy ward is an obvious no brainer the same as Emil was....Wuffy merited a pick when he got one but does not for 2012. The SGP is not about the fielding the top 16 riders in the world. it is about making an entertaining product that makes a profit.

The old system NEVER had the top 16 and this one does not either.

Babbling on about the old way of qualifying is stupid. The good old days that never existed except in some peoples minds. Entertainment is what it is about and making a profit from that.

Mistakes have been made and lessons learnt.

having a Brit was thought worthwhile once but now it's detrimental as the Brit challenge is non existent. Chuck in some good youngsters like Ward and Vaculik and maybe Wuffy or Barker in 2013.

Edited by pandorum

EXACTLY!!! :angry:

Sotonian:

You need to check your facts.

Peter Craven was seeded direct to the final as holder in 1956. Morally wrong and unjustified?

Thank you for that - I must admit I did not know that. :shock:

I STILL believe it is WRONG though. :angry: