British Speedway Forum
jellyman

Should There Be A British Rider In The 2012 Grand Prix Series?

I note that there is a piece of news on the Speedway GP website about Harris and his GP performance in Torun.

He mentions that he's got an awful lot of work to do and even mentions a seeded place - A good read for all you bashers out there. He is genuinely struggling this year - I think some folk need to cut him some slack.

The article can be found here

Would they really lose viewers? My perception of most speedway fans is they want to be entertained

by good racing with plenty of overtaking. We are also used to the grand prix having few brits in it

anyway, so not to have any doesn't a make much of a difference. Do many not support their home

team riders as well as a brit?

I always tune in to watch Bomber half a lap behind everyone else.

Although I'm not normal, I don't go in for all this jingoistic flag waving nonsense you see at Cardiff every time a British rider scores a point. I much prefer to support my home club Swindon riders (ironically a Brit this year).

Frankly, on merit, no British rider deserves to be in the GPs in 2012 - and it wouldn't me if BSI try out a year without a permanent British competitor.

I guess you are suggesting that the UK should get preferential treatment from BSI because at present we are not competitive, and that would help their business.

That idea is totally unfair to everyone else.

As is the selection process. :angry:

I would like to see Bridger in the GP series.

Speedway needs personalities and i would LOL when he scores 0,0,0,0,0 and then blames his mechanic.

I note that there is a piece of news on the Speedway GP website about Harris and his GP performance in Torun.

He mentions that he's got an awful lot of work to do and even mentions a seeded place - A good read for all you bashers out there. He is genuinely struggling this year - I think some folk need to cut him some slack.

The article can be found here

I read the article, and if they tried everything, who does it come down to in the end? I'm more than happy to see a British rider in the GP's, but only one that is good enough and can compete with the top guns. He's not the only one struggling, and others have a better foundation to build their case on, exept being British.

I read the article, and if they tried everything, who does it come down to in the end? I'm more than happy to see a British rider in the GP's, but only one that is good enough and can compete with the top guns. He's not the only one struggling, and others have a better foundation to build their case on, exept being British.

Definitely a combination of a few things but as we all know speedway is a confidence sport and when Harris burst onto the GP scene when he did, he was hot news and as a result he was doing well.

I just think he needs to have a few results go his way and we'll see good old Bomber back to his best. Maybe not in what remains of 2011, but I think we will :)

Definitely a combination of a few things but as we all know speedway is a confidence sport and when Harris burst onto the GP scene when he did, he was hot news and as a result he was doing well.

I just think he needs to have a few results go his way and we'll see good old Bomber back to his best. Maybe not in what remains of 2011, but I think we will :)

Bomber burst onto the GP scene (as you put it) on the back of a nomination and apart from this season has always relied on a nomination to keep his place. I would expect he will have to finish this season extremely strongly to get a pick for next year. If he continues at his current level it would be hard to justify giving him a go for another season.

Like some other posters I'm not that sure that the GP series needs a Brit (other than possibly as a Cardiff wild-card). It certainly makes no difference to me if there is a Brit riding whether I watch a GP or not.

I am aware that we ALL know this - but - I was infuriated by the quote from Chris Harris on the SWC Website.

I quote the following from the aforementioned article:

He added: “The top eight is getting further and further away from me, so I have to put in three good performances. I just have to show BSI that I am still willing to be in the Grand Prix and that I am good enough to mix it with the top guys.”
SWC Website.

THAT highlighted piece shows what is so wrong with the Speedway World Championship today. Obviously, from this direct quote from Chris Harris, BSI decide WHO rides in the World Championship. If this doesn't devalue the World Championship - I don't know what does.

Qualification should be the ONLY way to win the World Championship - NOT a GIFT of a place. It shouldn't matter to BSI WHO is in the World Championship as long as it is won fairly and squarely. They should have absolutely NO input as to who actually rides and who doesn't.

They should remember - they are ONLY the SPONSORS - and - they are NOT the Sport's Governing Body.

IT STINKS!!!!

Edited by The White Knight

I am aware that we ALL know this - but - I was infuriated by the quote from Chris Harris on the SWC Website.

I quote the following from the aforementioned article:

SWC Website.

THAT highlighted piece shows what is so wrong with the Speedway World Championship today. Obviously, from this direct quote from Chris Harris, BSI decide WHO rides in the World Championship. If this doesn't devalue the World Championship - I don't know what does.

Qualification should be the ONLY way to win the World Championship - NOT a GIFT of a place. It shouldn't matter to BSI WHO is in the World Championship as long as it is won fairly and squarely. They should have absolutely NO input as to who actually rides and who doesn't.

They should remember - they are ONLY the SPONSORS - and - they are NOT the Sport's Governing Body.

IT STINKS!!!!

BSI are not sponsors. They are the organisers having bought the promoting rights from the FIM. Therefor they need to make the series marketable so it produces a profit. Most regular speedway fans probably wouldn't be put off from watching if there was no GB representative but casual viewers probably would be. Look at the popularity of other sports and see how it changes when there are competitive British participants and how popularity wains when there isn't.

Bomber burst onto the GP scene (as you put it) on the back of a nomination and apart from this season has always relied on a nomination to keep his place. I would expect he will have to finish this season extremely strongly to get a pick for next year. If he continues at his current level it would be hard to justify giving him a go for another season.

Like some other posters I'm not that sure that the GP series needs a Brit (other than possibly as a Cardiff wild-card). It certainly makes no difference to me if there is a Brit riding whether I watch a GP or not.

Bomber finished 6th last year which meant that he qualified for the Grand Prix series outright.

Bomber finished 6th last year which meant that he qualified for the Grand Prix series outright.

If you read my post again I said "apart from this season..he's relied on a nomination". I don't think you could quibble with him getting a pick the year he lost in the run-off to Holta and Nicholls either. But to be brutal he would be getting picked for 2012 as being the best of a mediocre lot amongst the Brits.

After the way he finished last year it's disappointing to see him struggle to qualify this year.

Regardless of all of this, we know Bomber provides top entertainment when he's in good form - a true speedway racer in the sense that he never makes the start but his ability to carve through the pack (when he's on it) is nothing short of amazing.

We'd all love to see him back to his best just like when he won at cardiff a few years back. Regardless of whether he makes it on merit this year or otherwise, we should all be backing the man to return to what he does best, and that's entertaining us.

I'm fully backing bomber to make a return to form soon, when he's at full swing I struggle to find a rider I like to watch more. A true racer :)

Regardless of all of this, we know Bomber provides top entertainment when he's in good form - a true speedway racer in the sense that he never makes the start but his ability to carve through the pack (when he's on it) is nothing short of amazing.

You could say that about any rider though.

I want to see the 15 best riders in the GP and frankly Bomber, regardless of his nationality, isn't one of them.

slightly off topic but could also have a bearing on Harris and other riders competing in next years GP series.

Rules in Poland i believe will only allow 1 GP rider per team next year. Harris currently rides in the same team as Crump so if he does get the pick he'll obviously need to find a new team (or perhaps Crump will) in Poland.

This is where it gets more complicated because the 2011 Zielona Gora team contains both Hancock and AJ, now with Pepe P qualifying outright through the GP challenge thats 3 GP riders 2 of which will be on the look out for Polish teams for 2012, Gorzow have Gollob and Nicki P if Pedersen gets in top 8 or a wild card spot that is another rider looking for a new team in Poland.

Will riders opt not to ride in GP's so that they have a better team place in Poland or will GP riders ride in the lower leagues in Poland for less money which could effect the standard of there equipment perhaps

with the exception of last season he always had to endure those very slick Ole Olsen gating paradises as well................. of course true world class riders should be able to deal with all conditions but the same track prep also ended Loramski's world stage

The last GP was desperate to watch as far as Bomber goes as not only did his momentum end but realistically it spelt the end of his chances of a top 8....... he is going to have to have 3 very good gp's now to 'show BSI' that he is worthy

Unless IMG regard Darcy as being enough to put bums on Cardiff seats then I can see Tai coming back in. The Brits are at an all time low but the need to have at least one hasnt changed in the BSI/IMG offices for a very long time

Edited by spook