British Speedway Forum
jellyman

Should There Be A British Rider In The 2012 Grand Prix Series?

Ok then, who are the best 16 riders in the World and who has missed out this year?

Who is this "speedway" you keep going on about?

Your rant is ludicrous.

Thank you for your kind words. I don't think you are right however.....................

Yes. Without a doubt. If they prepared the tracks properly then Harris wouldn't be trailing near the bottom, anyway. As it is, I'd still insist on one - if nothing else, it gives fans of clubs with no GP riders someone to cheer for.

Yes. Without a doubt. If they prepared the tracks properly then Harris wouldn't be trailing near the bottom, anyway. As it is, I'd still insist on one - if nothing else, it gives fans of clubs with no GP riders someone to cheer for.

Alan - I don't think British Speedway is in a position to insist on anything.

The Grand Prix Series is now out of the hands of BSPA and other Motor Federations - it is SOLELY in the hands of BSI/IMG. They can appoint Riders, dish out Wild Cards, get their Track Consultant to produce slick Tracks, decide where the Races take place and rake in all the PROFITS. It seems to me that the BSPA and others just have to hold out their hands and take what is given them.

When I said Speedway had sold it's soul - I meant it.

The Grand Prix Series is now out of the hands of BSPA and other Motor Federations - it is SOLELY in the hands of BSI/IMG. They can appoint Riders, dish out Wild Cards, get their Track Consultant to produce slick Tracks, decide where the Races take place and rake in all the PROFITS. It seems to me that the BSPA and others just have to hold out their hands and take what is given them.

And thank god for that, a professional organisation running the GPs

i think its quite hard to say. I dont think Harris should be picked. He is a good rider but i think his time is up. I would like to see Lee Richardson and another UK rider but not Woffy.

I think you're being over dramatic with this.

The Grand Prix series is the best thing to happen to speedway for as long as I can remember. 15 world class riders giving nothing away in some of the best stadia we have witnessed and a professional outfit steering it in the direction, attracting some big name sponsors.

Admittedly the tracks aren't always up to expectation but if they could get that right there is no better spectacle.

I know you are a stickler for tradition and the good old days; so am I in many respects, but you only have to watch world finals from 1987, 1989, 1991, 1992, etc to see things weren't always perfect and no longer do we have to endure the five Continental Final qualifiers who by and large were a waste of space. There will always be weak links in any competition as they can't all be in the top eight, but riders in the bottom half like Harris, Holta, Kolodziej, Pedersen, Lindback and Lindgren have all been competitive at some stage and are hardly making up the numbers like the Continental Finalists usually did. Only Laguta could be classed as a wasted place, for want of a better phrase.

To me, the SGP is a great advert for the sport (track preparation apart) and along with the SWC, puts domestic speedway in this country to shame.

Times change, things move on, it's called progress. You have to move with the times or get left behind.

The mayor of Las Vegas once said, "Everything moves forward. If you stand still you go backwards."

IMG have the foresight to keep moving forwards and improve things every year. Its not about selling your soul, more staying on your toes. Promoters here could learn a lot from that.

I think you're being over dramatic with this.

The Grand Prix series is the best thing to happen to speedway for as long as I can remember. 15 world class riders giving nothing away in some of the best stadia we have witnessed and a professional outfit steering it in the direction, attracting some big name sponsors.

Admittedly the tracks aren't always up to expectation but if they could get that right there is no better spectacle.

I know you are a stickler for tradition and the good old days; so am I in many respects, but you only have to watch world finals from 1987, 1989, 1991, 1992, etc to see things weren't always perfect and no longer do we have to endure the five Continental Final qualifiers who by and large were a waste of space. There will always be weak links in any competition as they can't all be in the top eight, but riders in the bottom half like Harris, Holta, Kolodziej, Pedersen, Lindback and Lindgren have all been competitive at some stage and are hardly making up the numbers like the Continental Finalists usually did. Only Laguta could be classed as a wasted place, for want of a better phrase.

To me, the SGP is a great advert for the sport (track preparation apart) and along with the SWC, puts domestic speedway in this country to shame.

Times change, things move on, it's called progress. You have to move with the times or get left behind.

The mayor of Las Vegas once said, "Everything moves forward. If you stand still you go backwards."

IMG have the foresight to keep moving forwards and improve things every year. Its not about selling your soul, more staying on your toes. Promoters here could learn a lot from that.

Excellent reasoned reply IO. :approve:

I suppose I am one of those folk who believe that Traditions are important. I was brought up that way.

However change is OK as long as it is for the good of the Sport. I don't feel that the BSI/IMG deal is good for Speedway though. As you say, perhaps I am living in the Past.

I do HONESTLY believe that Speedway in the Sixties and Seventies was a far superior product than it is today. For me, anyway, it meant more excitement, racejackets that meant something and not advertisements quite as prevelent on the Leathers as they are on the Kevlars today. The days when you could look at a Bike and know who rode it purely by the distinctive set ups are now gone. Nowadays they are all the same apart from the colours.

Perhaps I am an old 'fuddy duddy', a reincarnation of Victor Meldrew, but I know what excites me at the Speedway. The Sport is STILL basically good - only - not as good as it used to be. That IS my opinion, I'm afraid, and I can't change that.

To Quote:

L.P. Hartley - from his book: The Go-Between.

"The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there".

Perhaps I belong there too. :sad:

Edited by The White Knight

was it better or is it a case of rose tinted glasses :wink: i also thought speedway was better back in the day until i get some old tapes out and realise maybe it wasnt.with the introduction of the air fences i reckon riders take bigger risks these days maybe resulting in better races :unsure:

Speedway has been sold down the Swannee by IMG. Is there another sport that has a live three hour TV programme in which the winner receives under £7,000 and some of the riders do not even get paid £1.000

Compare this to so called sports like Snooker and Darts the prize money is ludicious. It would be great if all the riders refused to ride in the GP,s until they got a better deal

IF there was to be a brit for next year it will have to be Lee Richardson or Tai Woffinden. Im a big fan of Harris but i think a bit of time out of the GP'S will do him good and he can try to qualify for 2013.

Think that the mould of ensuring all countries presenting GP`s having a representation was broken in yesterdays GP with Ward bein given the wild card pick ahead of the presenting nation.

I`m sure that the Brits would want a British rider to support at Cardiff but i doubt not having one would distract from the attendance.

Dont think the atmosphere would be the same tho as Harris, woffy or whoever represents their country gets the mightiest roar at every time they are on track.

Think BSI should ensure the wildcard for Cardiff is a GB rider tho at the very least. Will make the British final even more vital.

Harris has gone backwards this season big time and im not sure there is a reasonable enough argument to keep him in next season.

The best way of sorting out riders for next years grand prix is to give those that miss out on the top 8 a chance to compete with those that missed out on the GP qualifier a chance to re-qualify by a meaningful meeting.

You can still have picks - but maybe 2 less.

There really isnt any Brit that at this stage is worthy of a pick - not woffy and certainly not Barker. Neither have done enough this season to show that they would warrant it.

I've always said that the fairest way and most interesting way and it would certainly be good TV is for the 7 who do not requalify to compete against the top 9 from a qualifying competition to decide who gets in the following year. So basically I agree with you on this.

Regards BB