British Speedway Forum

Too late, James Easter and the Speedway Star Travel Club have already booked a fleet of First World War Biplanes for the trip. (watch out for The Red Baron). Big Dave will be your In-Flight Host but remember to bring your own flying helmet and goggles and be aware that these planes have outside toilets. They will be leaving on New Year's Day to ensure that they get to NZ in time for the official practice. Book now for the trip of a lifetime!

• Like 1

OVER 40 now booked to travel from UK ... you underestimate the interest being shown by people from the UK.

Over 3000 tickets (including all those for the grandstand) for the event already sold, over half from Australia.

Don't be so pessimistic.

• Like 1

I am baffled why a Speedway GP is taking place in Auckland. It is not a speedway-bike minded country any more. There are three main centres from what I can see = Rosebank, Moore Park and Oreti Park - and they do not run on a weekly basis. The only other tracks that sometimes (and rarely) that stage speedway bikes as support to car races are at Palmerston North and Kihikihi.

Contrary to this, I estimate there must be between 25 and 30 venues staging various car race formulas through from midgets and sprint cars to big 240ci stock cars.

On the other hand sidecars are featured regularly at tracks where there are no solo races, Gisborne is one such track that springs tp mind but they also dominate at those tracks classified as main speedway centres.

The fact that the Speedway GP had to play second fiddle to the cars at Western Springs - after their season had ended - shows where New Zealand priorities lie. I will concede, however, that the delay between cars and the GP at Western Springs was to adapt the track for the one-off bike venture.

I have no doubt that a big crowd will be there - many of them not speedway fans - but merely out for a festive day as they would be for a big pop concert. A few may like the calibre of racing they see at the GP and be tempted to then go to an all-kiwi speedway. They will then have a cultural shock - rather like one would if enticed to football after a Real Madrid-Barcelnoa clash, then going to see a Blue Square South or similar fixture.

But in my opinion hopes that the GP will rekindle New Zealand bike speedway just is not going to happen.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Bad news i am afaid. Anyone wishing to travel is the plane is now full. The pilot of the six seater piper leaving bournemouth airport has confirmed this along with the 36 stops for fuel :lol: If enough interst is show his mate has a tiger moth which could accomadate another traveller :P but be quick as rumour has it speedway star travel club are after it :rofl:

My goodness Mr A...you are a funny chap,quite a card.. this adult advanced humour must be straight from your favourite Beano....our plane you will be pleased to know has the correct "Lift" off.Now why would we choose Bournemouth..???

OVER 40 now booked to travel from UK ... you underestimate the interest being shown by people from the UK.

Over 3000 tickets (including all those for the grandstand) for the event already sold, over half from Australia.

Don't be so pessimistic.

was a bit of light humour so lighten up Phil :lol: on a side note 40 hey :rofl:

My goodness Mr A...you are a funny chap,quite a card.. this adult advanced humour must be straight from your favourite Beano....our plane you will be pleased to know has the correct "Lift" off.Now why would we choose Bournemouth..???

no sense of humour ? it is xmas after all. you are right bournemouth far to expensive area for it :P

Edited by The Know

Surely the whole bloody idea of a GP in New Zealand is due to an expansion of the series and why not in a country with a fantastic hiistory in the sport• As for none speedway fans going just to enjoy a festive day out that's exactly what the sport needs you never know they might get hooked on it

• Like 2

Surely the whole bloody idea of a GP in New Zealand is due to an expansion of the series and why not in a country with a fantastic hiistory in the sport• As for none speedway fans going just to enjoy a festive day out that's exactly what the sport needs you never know they might get hooked on it

if they do get hooked where they going to go to watch speedway then as i believe there is very little if any in nz :blink:

if they do get hooked where they going to go to watch speedway then as i believe there is very little if any in nz :blink:

You've obviously done little or no research to make such an uninformed sweeping statement.

Meanwhile, back at Western Springs, the Foo Fighters rocked the joint so much last Tuesday that seismic monitors picked up the rumble from 50,000 fans over two kilometres away. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/music/vibrations-from-foo-fighters-concert-at-aucklands-western-springs-picked-up-by-seismic-monitors/story-e6frexl9-1226223386251 I'd hope we can top that at the end of March.

You've obviously done little or no research to make such an uninformed sweeping statement.

Meanwhile, back at Western Springs, the Foo Fighters rocked the joint so much last Tuesday that seismic monitors picked up the rumble from 50,000 fans over two kilometres away. http://www.dailytele...9-1226223386251 I'd hope we can top that at the end of March.

whats music got to do with speedway :blink: bit like saying cardiff sold out for the football so it will for the sgp :t:

no i havnt done much reserch but as far as i know there is pretty much nothing going on domestic wise in nz and not many riders coming out of nz at present.

More publicity in the paper.

http://www.stuff.co....ants-NZ-support

A 9pm curfew at the track ???

I hope the bars are open later than that !!! :cry:

Or is everyone in NZ tucked up in bed by 10pm?

whats music got to do with speedway :blink: bit like saying cardiff sold out for the football so it will for the sgp :t:

no i havnt done much reserch but as far as i know there is pretty much nothing going on domestic wise in nz and not many riders coming out of nz at present.

There are thriving clubs on both islands, but there's no league structure; it's like Oz, mainly individual meetings, and like us the sidecar scene is thriving. With the improved TV coverage of the GPs and Elite League now available expect to see an upsurge in Kiwis good enough to make it abroad. Keep the name Hayden Sims in your mind for a couple of years down the track.

A 9pm curfew at the track ???

I hope the bars are open later than that !!! :cry:

Or is everyone in NZ tucked up in bed by 10pm?

Most of the population are safely tucked up in their paddocks, listening to their shepherd counting.

There are thriving clubs on both islands, but there's no league structure; it's like Oz, mainly individual meetings, and like us the sidecar scene is thriving. With the improved TV coverage of the GPs and Elite League now available expect to see an upsurge in Kiwis good enough to make it abroad. Keep the name Hayden Sims in your mind for a couple of years down the track.

Hayden certainly seemed to get on it in the last meeting at Moore Park, Anthony Knowles is another who has come through the juniors over the last couple of years and can gate... maybe a bit of work coming from behind to be done, but he certainly has potential... Peleti Woods is another who I saw in his 1st meeting on the junior track a few years ago and he struggled to turn, now in the last meeting looked smooth, stylish and just as quick as some of the main guys on the big track.

There are a few guys that given the support and opportunity could make a go of it in the UK, Andrew Aldridge has been there with Bournemouth and is looking as quick as ever, Daniel McKinlay who has come back from a serious injury I think, and Dale Finch who seems a determined rider... on top of that there is Grant Tregoning.

What NZ needs is for a couple of these riders to take the next step, hopefully get some team places in the UK and then push on. By having the GP here that will hopefully help encourage more through into Speedway (or Solo's as it's know down here!).

As BFD said, it is more individual meetings over here, which are supported by sidecars at many events. By getting more involved hopefully this would help to create more opportunities and more meetings....

There is an article on Bill Buckley the man behind the GP in Auckland. It's interesting.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/6156968/Sunday-profile-Dirt-track-genius

The NZ scene is run down there is no doubt about that but for such a small country we have extraordinary success in many sports, including most motosports. I think the GP might open a few eyes to the possibilities of a career in Europe.

Remember Denmark was hardly a hotbed of speedway until Ole Olsen's success. Most people under 35 in NZ would have no idea who Ivan Mauger, Barry Briggs and Ronnie Moore were but a world class event might publicise New Zealands heritage in speedway and inspire some kids.

We can but hope.