Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

NZ is still struggling economically in the aftermath of CHCH....

What on earth is 'CHCH' ???

What on earth is 'CHCH' ???

Earthquake in Christchurch last February and countless aftershocks since... reason why England rugby team isn't based there. Birthplace of Briggs, Mardon, Mauger, Ross and adopted home of Moore is still devastated by the destruction caused.

Earthquake in Christchurch last February and countless aftershocks since... reason why England rugby team isn't based there. Birthplace of Briggs, Mardon, Mauger, Ross and adopted home of Moore is still devastated by the destruction caused.

I did presume CH was Christchurch and the earthquake immediately came to mind, however, still not sure what the double use of it means. Unless it's a case of 'New York, New York'! Cheers for the confirmation anyway.

Edited by manchesterpaul

I did CH was Christchurch and the earthquake immediately came to mind, however, still not sure what the double use of it means. Unless it's a case of 'New York, New York'! Cheers for the confirmation anyway.

It's a commonly used abbreviation down here, MP, particularly among the Diaspora of Kiwis in Oz. It's still a mess; whole families are moving away from the devastated city - some to the North Island, some over here.

Western Springs promoter Bill Buckley is a man on a mission, and I hope for his sake, and for his Country's, he can bring this off. There is little doubt that IMG/BSI are working together with Bill: he was their guest at Cardiff and he and Paul Bellamy have been working together ever since to attempt to overcome the innumerable problems that exist.

In case you weren't aware, one of the reasons why there aren't any earlier dates available is that there's no track there at the moment; it's been grassed over for RWC and a new track will be laid when that's finished.

Great Stadium, by the way; I saw not only Speedway but also Fleetwood Mac & the Beach Boys there in the 70s. I think a few NIMBYs were whingeing about the noise then as well - plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!

You can pretty much gaurantee weather in Perth LOL

THERE is a track at Western Springs but Buckley runs his cars there until early March and the surface, mostly clay, isn't suitable for speedway. A new track surface will be laid for the GP but at the moment there are one or two noise issues to be resolved before it gets the green light. On amber right now...

THERE is a track at Western Springs but Buckley runs his cars there until early March and the surface, mostly clay, isn't suitable for speedway. A new track surface will be laid for the GP but at the moment there are one or two noise issues to be resolved before it gets the green light. On amber right now...

I was under the impression it was being used solely as a Rugby training centre during the RWC, PHILIP; of course as well as Speedway & Concerts it's also home to the famous Ponsonby Rugby Club.

I was under the impression it was being used solely as a Rugby training centre during the RWC, PHILIP; of course as well as Speedway & Concerts it's also home to the famous Ponsonby Rugby Club.

IT is but that doesn't affect the existing track which will resume its normal activities during the summer

IT is but that doesn't affect the existing track which will resume its normal activities during the summer

No worries - excuse me for a moment while I just go and strangle my informant - no more Fush 'n Chups for him!

Speedway starts again after world cup November first meeting http://www.springsspeedway.com/

ending beginning March leaving a few weeks to lay a new surface for bikes.

And yes it does rain here more than most places but Feb March is near the end of summer and usually our hottest driest months

OMG. Surely this will never happen. Talk about 30yrs too late. Apologies for my ignorance, but since I last went to Western Springs (1989) and since Dave Bargh & Mark Thorpe stopped riding in the UK, is there actually a NZ solo speedway scene anymore.

OMG. Surely this will never happen. Talk about 30yrs too late. Apologies for my ignorance, but since I last went to Western Springs (1989) and since Dave Bargh & Mark Thorpe stopped riding in the UK, is there actually a NZ solo speedway scene anymore.

think it will happen.heard the four fans from the uk have booked there tickets:P anyone rideing in the uk will most prob miss there press and practice for uk club.also what will the racing be like? none of the riders would of had any meetings at all so will be bit rusty and no time to set bikes up. aus riders wont want to come over to sort things then head back down under again so quickly i would of thought.

does sgp really need nz ? i dont think so but thats just my take on it. do the riders want to go ?

wrong place, wrong time of year :t: then again suppose it is better than a forth or fifth gp in poland.

just heard holta has taken out nz passport so they have a rider in the gp :D

think it will happen.heard the four fans from the uk have booked there tickets:P anyone rideing in the uk will most prob miss there press and practice for uk club.also what will the racing be like? none of the riders would of had any meetings at all so will be bit rusty and no time to set bikes up. aus riders wont want to come over to sort things then head back down under again so quickly i would of thought.

does sgp really need nz ? i dont think so but thats just my take on it. do the riders want to go ?

wrong place, wrong time of year :t: then again suppose it is better than a forth or fifth gp in poland.

just heard holta has taken out nz passport so they have a rider in the gp :D

:lol:

Really had to check that this thread wasn't started on April 1st.

I would imagine that they would try to go to Australia earlier than NZ. Apart from anything else, they have to be mindful of the fact that riders earn their money through league racing (notably in Poland).

Yes, Speedway Star was against the GPs a lifetime ago but just about everything has changed since 1994. But that was nothing to do with domestic calendar and, of course, Polish domestic speedway wasn't the force then that it is now.

Of course, this might be yet another reason why a squad system could be beneficial to Elite League clubs here.

Of course squad system .later start , move the fixtures around . just so long as the GP has unfettered access to the riders that learned their craft and earn the bread and butter in the leagues , why not aske Bsi?Img for a list of when the elite league assets will be avaialble and try to draw up a calender to fit in with it .

Of course squad system .later start , move the fixtures around . just so long as the GP has unfettered access to the riders that learned their craft and earn the bread and butter in the leagues , why not aBsi?Img for a list of when the eliteske league assets will be avaialble and try to draw up a calender to fit in with it .

That's called the FIM calender you dingbat