British Speedway Forum

Peter Juul Larsen could be a good signing for the Devils.

He realy tailed off at the S.T.M.P over the 2nd half of the season, and a change of track has to be the way forward for him.

He got 10+2 from 6 rides back in July at the St Boniface Arena, and did'nt he get 14 for Team Viking.

Danes seem to do well at Plymouth, as shown this season with Kristiensen's home form.

Juul and Glanz at reserve should do very well at home.

Food for thought, Devils fans.

He's a rider I liked when he came down to Plymouth for the Bears, but I have heard quite a lot of negative stuff about him. That said I'd take him at reserve with Glanz as long as we have a quality top 5.

The key for us next year is to maintain decent home form but we have to fill the team with riders that can compete away from home too. In the Speedway Star Bowden is saying that along with Glanz who has already signed, he's looking at Franchetti, Cockle, Barker, Wells and Kristiansen returning! What a joke that is, we would probably be weaker than we were this season.

Yes he would as I believe the cut off to drop sown is an EL average of 7.5 which converts to a PL 12.00. Like you say though I'd highly doubt he'd want to drop down though.

My plan was that he doubled up with Swindon.

I actually don't see it as dropping down, more an additional source of income. The fact that Barker wants to ride for Plymouth next season suggests that he doesn't either, and Klindt has a lower EL average than him.

The thing is doubling up is extremely lucrative. Barker, if he is on what I have been told, will make £1,700 a week or so from riding for Plymouth. If he rode for Birmingham only his speedway earnings would almost certainly be reduced by 50% (or more).

For a rider like Klindt (and any EL rider averaging less than 7.5) the possibility of potentially doubling earnings has to be something to be seriously considered (taking into account other commitments).

Edited by Halifaxtiger

In the Speedway Star Bowden is saying that along with Glanz who has already signed, he's looking at Franchetti, Cockle, Barker, Wells and Kristiansen returning! What a joke that is, we would probably be weaker than we were this season.

Perhaps not as bad as you thought.

Replace Perry with Cockle (and I think James rode extremely well - at home at least - at the back end of the season) and Franchetti with Bunyan (not that unreasonable)and you have the side I proposed.

The question will be who the 7th man is. There will be room within the points limit for a big hitter (Like Klindt) and given the gates at SBA I see no reason why one can't be fitted in budget wise. I can't see a team of Barker, Franchetti, Wells, Kristiansen, Klindt, Glanz & Cockle losing too many times at home and I suspect they will be pretty competitive away.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Perhaps not as bad as you thought.

Replace Perry with Cockle (and I think James rode extremely well - at home at least - at the back end of the season) and Franchetti with Bunyan (not that unreasonable)and you have the side I proposed.

The question will be who the 7th man is. There will be room within the points limit for a big hitter (Like Klindt) and given the gates at SBA I see no reason why one can't be fitted in budget wise. I can't see a team of Barker, Franchetti, Wells, Kristiansen, Klindt, Glanz & Cockle losing too many times at home and I suspect they will be pretty competitive away.

Klindt converts to 10.50 as he has no PL average so not sure that could work!

On the road that team is likely to be a 3 man team, Franchetti and Kristiansen in particular were woeful on the road this season and their home form can be replicated with riders on similar averages that can also do better away. I'd take Bunyan back in a heartbeat on his average, but I can't see him returning. More likely he will be based nearer his home, Leicester or Sheffield I would suggest.

I think Cockle has got a very good case for being in the side next year though. Many people including me felt he would never cut the mustard at PL level but he has done well at the back end of the season, achieving a CMA of 5.24 since his return.

My problem is that we will end up lining up with other peoples cast off's. I can see a team of Barker, Hawkins, Sanchez (swapping with Wells), Kristiansen, ?? Cook perhaps, Franchetti, Glanz. That in my opinion isn't good enough.

Would Hawkins and Sanchez be that bad ? Both rode well at SBA when I saw them and Sanchez is renowned for performing well away (6th in the Sheffield home averages, 4th in the away ones).

I think you are right about the reserves because it will be two from three of Franchetti, Glanz & Cockle. I can only see that being the first two.

I think Kristiansen deserves another shot. True, he was poor away but he was (arguably) the rider who turned Plymouth's season around because he provided the back up that Barker needed at the top end, regularly beating opposition heat leaders at SBA.

I might have been a bit ambitious with Klindt :) but I still regard the no 5 position as crucial to next season. Getting an EL rider with a qualifying average who can double up would turn the Devils into a very decent side indeed.

Barker, Hawkins, Kristiansen, Sanchez, Ostergaard, Franchetti, Glanz ? :unsure:

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I think you are right about the reserves because it will be two from three of Franchetti, Glanz & Cockle. I can only see that being the first two.

Speaking to Bandits fans on Saturday night who would more than welcome Gino back to Berwick next year

Would Hawkins and Sanchez be that bad ? Both rode well at SBA when I saw them and Sanchez is renowned for performing well away (6th in the Sheffield home averages, 4th in the away ones).

I think Kristiansen deserves another shot. True, he was poor away but he was (arguably) the rider who turned Plymouth's season around because he provided the back up that Barker needed at the top end, regularly beating opposition heat leaders at SBA.

I might have been a bit ambitious with Klindt :) but I still regard the no 5 position as crucial to next season. Getting an EL rider with a qualifying average who can double up would turn the Devils into a very decent side indeed.

Barker, Hawkins, Kristiansen, Sanchez, Ostergaard, Franchetti, Glanz ? :unsure:

I wouldn't say they'd be that bad mate no, infact I'd welcome the addition of Sanchez who as you rightly say goes well at our place as well as on many away tracks, the problem is if it means losing Wells to bring him in, no thank you. Ideally I'd like both he and Wells as our 3&4 for next year where I think they'd give our middle order the quality it's been lacking this season.

As for the reserves I'd prefer James over Gino myself. Both similar in ability but James' gating ability, especially at the SBA makes him the stronger candidate for me.

I see your point about Jesper and many Devils fans share your view. My issue isn't about what he's done so much this season but more what he can do next. Jesper was great at home but in the main he never made many passes and cannot ride the inside of the track as he is so tall. Plus the thing that puts me off him the most is his average of 5.93. Signing him as a reserve on 4.80 last season was worth the gamble, but on 5.93 I think he will struggle to maintain or increase that figure next season. Compare Jesper to someone like Kenny Ingalls who would be on a similar average but with far more potential to score more than Jesper both home and away. Don't get me wrong, Jesper wouldn't be the worst signing in the world but he wouldn't be my first or second choice.

I like ambitious it's just a shame our promoter doesn't! I'd love to see a rider like Klindt at the SBA next season and at 5 with Ben at 1 we'd have some top 2, so bring that on :)

Barker, Ingalls, Wells, Sanchez, Ostergaard (or someone of around 8.5), Cockle, Glanz :)

I wouldn't say they'd be that bad mate no, infact I'd welcome the addition of Sanchez who as you rightly say goes well at our place as well as on many away tracks, the problem is if it means losing Wells to bring him in, no thank you. Ideally I'd like both he and Wells as our 3&4 for next year where I think they'd give our middle order the quality it's been lacking this season.

As for the reserves I'd prefer James over Gino myself. Both similar in ability but James' gating ability, especially at the SBA makes him the stronger candidate for me.

I see your point about Jesper and many Devils fans share your view. My issue isn't about what he's done so much this season but more what he can do next. Jesper was great at home but in the main he never made many passes and cannot ride the inside of the track as he is so tall. Plus the thing that puts me off him the most is his average of 5.93. Signing him as a reserve on 4.80 last season was worth the gamble, but on 5.93 I think he will struggle to maintain or increase that figure next season. Compare Jesper to someone like Kenny Ingalls who would be on a similar average but with far more potential to score more than Jesper both home and away. Don't get me wrong, Jesper wouldn't be the worst signing in the world but he wouldn't be my first or second choice.

I like ambitious it's just a shame our promoter doesn't! I'd love to see a rider like Klindt at the SBA next season and at 5 with Ben at 1 we'd have some top 2, so bring that on :)

Barker, Ingalls, Wells, Sanchez, Ostergaard (or someone of around 8.5), Cockle, Glanz :)

That's a good team. :approve:

Mind you, I think Plymouth are more likely to get Klindt than Ingalls.......... :D

I don't want to worry you too much but Graham Drury has said he doesn't want double up riders next season..... :(

Edited by Halifaxtiger

That's a good team. :approve:

Mind you, I think Plymouth are more likely to get Klindt than Ingalls.......... :D

I don't want to worry you too much but Graham Drury has said he doesn't want double up riders next season..... :(

Thats fine Ben can ride for Swindon :)

Thats fine Ben can ride for Swindon :)

Very unselfish of you :D

Just don't tell the Birmingham lot.........

I certainly hope he is at Plymouth next season - he's simply brilliant to watch there.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

If whispers prove to be true then Mr Bowden may have upset one too many person at the BSPA!

The season of 2011 was full of expectations and broken promises,Those that travelled away saw the other side of the team.

The season was spoilt for me by R/R.2012 it would be fantastic to start with BEN BARKER.

But like the team the facilities require up grading!!

Will we have speedway at the SBA next year with MB?are the facilities for bringing riders Like Mc Govan in place.

Just hope that we have speedway at SBA for next year. Mike Bend one.

Edited by SBA BEND ONE FAN

Plymouth will race again in the prem next season,agreed the sba is not great for the the paying public [excluding the racing which has been top class] but from a riders side of things,The money they get aint great but at least they do get it[with the crowds the pay scale could be put up].The track these days is fine even if a little slick most of the time but that is at the home riders request.The changing rooms are of an ok standard.A bit of investment in the site and more/better promoting in the area theres no reason why the crowd cant be added to even though its one of the biggest of all 3 leagues already.

Plymouth will race again in the prem next season,agreed the sba is not great for the the paying public [excluding the racing which has been top class] but from a riders side of things,The money they get aint great but at least they do get it[with the crowds the pay scale could be put up].The track these days is fine even if a little slick most of the time but that is at the home riders request.The changing rooms are of an ok standard.A bit of investment in the site and more/better promoting in the area theres no reason why the crowd cant be added to even though its one of the biggest of all 3 leagues already.

Plymouth has a hell of a lot going for it . Ok geographically it's a bit out of the road , but so are we . For travelling visiting fans , there's a Travel Inn about 5 minutes walk from the track ( through the Sainbury's car park ) . We were on the 3rd/4th bend the night Glasgow were there and the viewing was fine , even though there was a decent sized crowd in . All you need is a bar with draught beer on , instead of just a hut selling cans and you'll be sorted . I don't normally like wee small tracks as a rule , but the track produced good racing that night - so no complaints on that score either .