British Speedway Forum
stratton

Carter Where Does He Rate With The Great British Riders?

Forgetting all what happened no its hard but on riding ability and achievements where would Carter rate?I personally rated him and enjoyed everytime i see him ride but was surprised how low he would be on my list. my top ten would be 1.Lee 2.Craven,3.P.Collins 4.Simmons 5.Louis 6.Ray Wilson 7.E.Boocock 8.Carter 9.Ashby 10.Betts.Wondered what peoples opinions were.

Kenny Carter, a terrific rider where would he rate amongst the best of british riders?

Always difficult to do this, but I reckon he was miles better than anyone around today. Always awesome in test matches, especially against the Yanks.

As an Ipswich fan, we always hated him, but you couldnt but respect his talent.

A very good Rider - but - NOT the BEST Rider we have ever produced. Collins (Peter & Les), Morton, Lee and Simmons and possibly Jessup were better. From previous eras Peter Craven, Freddie Williams too were superior though these sort of things can never be proved.

For courage though - many were as brave as Carter but none more so.

Just my opinion.

A very good Rider - but - NOT the BEST Rider we have ever produced. Collins (Peter & Les), Morton, Lee and Simmons and possibly Jessup were better. From previous eras Peter Craven, Freddie Williams too were superior though these sort of things can never be proved.

For courage though - many were as brave as Carter but none more so.

Just my opinion.

Would have Louis,Ray Wilson,Ashby,E.Boocock Carter, in front of Les Collins easily ,good as Les was saying that shows how many good riders we had Betts, Jessup ect.

Would have Louis,Ray Wilson,Ashby,E.Boocock Carter, in front of Les Collins easily ,good as Les was saying that shows how many good riders we had Betts, Jessup ect.

I would argue that Nigel Boocock was at least as good as Eric.

Les Collins finished second in a World Final - that's why I put him above those you have mentioned.

He was the best rider we had in the early/mid 80's but in my opinion Jessup, Collins, Morton, Simmons, Louis, Wilson, Eric Boocock, Kennett, Pusey, Lee, Tatum, Wigg and Betts were of equal if not better standard. For effort and determination he was one of the best but no where near with attitude and relating with others.

Never got to see the likes of Craven, Williams etc ride so can't remark on those but to win two World Titles in the time of Fundin, Moore etc was some achievement so Peter Craven woyld possibly be rated #1 all time Brit

Forgetting all what happened no its hard but on riding ability and achievements where would Carter rate?I personally rated him and enjoyed everytime i see him ride but was surprised how low he would be on my list. my top ten would be 1.Lee 2.Craven,3.P.Collins 4.Simmons 5.Louis 6.Ray Wilson 7.E.Boocock 8.Carter 9.Ashby 10.Betts.Wondered what peoples opinions were.

My top 10 British riders would be: 1. Tom Farndon 2. Peter Craven 3. Peter Collins 4. Tommy Price 5. Michael Lee 6. Freddie Williams 7. Split Waterman 8. Eric Langton 9. Brian Crutcher 10. Nigel Boocock

He was the best rider we had in the early/mid 80's but in my opinion Jessup, Collins, Morton, Simmons, Louis, Wilson, Eric Boocock, Kennett, Pusey, Lee, Tatum, Wigg and Betts were of equal if not better standard. For effort and determination he was one of the best but no where near with attitude and relating with others.

Never got to see the likes of Craven, Williams etc ride so can't remark on those but to win two World Titles in the time of Fundin, Moore etc was some achievement so Peter Craven woyld possibly be rated #1 all time Brit

Pusey as good as Carter? Are you serious? :unsure:

You say he was the best rider but then follow it up by saying there were some who were equal or better ! Illogical Captain !

Pusey as good as Carter? Are you serious? :unsure:

You say he was the best rider but then follow it up by saying there were some who were equal or better ! Illogical Captain !

:rofl:

One of the weirdest comments on here.No way was Pusey equal to any of those riders imo. :blink:

Certainly as good a 16 year old as I've ever seen. He never seemed to be fully fit in the last few years of his career and I don't think he reached the heights he might have done.

Certainly as good a 16 year old as I've ever seen. He never seemed to be fully fit in the last few years of his career and I don't think he reached the heights he might have done.

Michael Lee was by far the best 16 year old ive seen won the pride of the east at a young age, Carter was good but at 16 was scoring 2s and 4s.Lee averaged about 7.22 in his doubling up with Boston year beating the likes of Wilson along the way.At 17 was averaging well over 9pts some going at a tender age.

Michael Lee was by far the best 16 year old ive seen won the pride of the east at a young age, Carter was good but at 16 was scoring 2s and 4s.Lee averaged about 7.22 in his doubling up with Boston year beating the likes of Wilson along the way.At 17 was averaging well over 9pts some going at a tender age.

At 17yrs old Ronnie Moore was a World Finalist and World Champion at 21, youngest ever for both but what does that prove?

I would say that without a doubt Peter Craven is the greatest ever British rider. I not only say that from seeing him race but the fact that you could have put Peter on a modern lay-down and his style would have suited it perfectly, you could have put him on any speedway bike made in the last sixty years and he would have been as good on any of them and I do not think you will find another rider in the world who you could have said that about.

At 17yrs old Ronnie Moore was a World Finalist and World Champion at 21, youngest ever for both but what does that prove?

I would say that without a doubt Peter Craven is the greatest ever British rider. I not only say that from seeing him race but the fact that you could have put Peter on a modern lay-down and his style would have suited it perfectly, you could have put him on any speedway bike made in the last sixty years and he would have been as good on any of them and I do not think you will find another rider in the world who you could have said that about.

Craven was a freak really, terrific balance i never see him ride would of been a treat.Ten world final appearances brilliant but what ever order you had them in [ie]Craven ,Lee ,Collins, they would all of been greats in any era which is a mega compliment.

Never saw Carter ride, but from 1963 my choice would include Collins, Craven, Lee, Nigel/Eric Boocock, Wilson, Ashby, Jessup, Louis, Betts, Simmons, Morton, Wigg, Loram, Broadbanks, Kennett, Tatum, Les Collins, Pusey, McKinlay among the top 20 British riders.