British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GeraldBull

Exeter Speedway The 1960's

I know I live in the past but I just want to fly the flag of the 1960's and rekindle the fantastic memories of Speedway at the County Ground at Exeter in the 60's I am sure for many people remember and remininisce about. Sadly the County Ground is no longer but the lovely memories are still there, they cannot be taken away. So many names come to mind as if yesterday Chris Blewett, Jimmy Squibb, Jack Geran, Neil Street, Chris Julian, Ray Wickett, Colin Goody, Tommy Sweetman, Alan Cowland, Martin Ashby,Des Lukehurst just but a few names. I remember so many that used to watch in those days, what wonderful times. I came across this on Youtube and just for old times sake put it on here, it is of Exeter Speedway in the sixties, even the film reflects so much on the technology in those simpler days. Have a look if you fancy, priceless times.

the county ground had its critics, but i loved it there. i was a regular visitor there right up until its closure in 2005 and i miss it greatly. :cry:

Brilliant to see, thanks for posting - this was the kind of speedway I fell in love with. Black leathers, plumes of dirt, terrace houses in the background, sunshine and supporters wearing silly hats.

I saw Neil Street, Jack Geran and Jimmy Squibb in the clip, any more names?

Edited by miro

I know I live in the past but I just want to fly the flag of the 1960's and rekindle the fantastic memories of Speedway at the County Ground at Exeter in the 60's I am sure for many people remember and remininisce about. Sadly the County Ground is no longer but the lovely memories are still there, they cannot be taken away. So many names come to mind as if yesterday Chris Blewett, Jimmy Squibb, Jack Geran, Neil Street, Chris Julian, Ray Wickett, Colin Goody, Tommy Sweetman, Alan Cowland, Martin Ashby,Des Lukehurst just but a few names. I remember so many that used to watch in those days, what wonderful times. I came across this on Youtube and just for old times sake put it on here, it is of Exeter Speedway in the sixties, even the film reflects so much on the technology in those simpler days. Have a look if you fancy, priceless times.

I totally agree i come from Swindon and i loved going to the county ground.Had a reputation was exciting there thou fast.Would of loved to of seen Bob Kilby and Martin Ashby tearing it up for the falcons.My favourite tracks were Hyde rd Belle vue The shay Halifax Owlerton Sheffield County ground Exeter my regular track blunsdon Swindon great days great tracks.Scott Autrey my favourite ever falcon.