British Speedway Forum
stratton

Great Races That People Remember While Watching Speedway?

Many of the older readers will remember the “Big Five” of the 60’s being 5 world class riders who seemed to be in a class of their own.

Incredibly in the 1962 world final 4 of these riders met in heat 6 with Ronnie Moore being the odd man out. Barry Briggs won from Peter Craven (it was his only defeat and he became World champion that night) with Björn Knutsson third and the great Ove Fundin last.

Almost any race involving two or more of those was an excellent race :)

Surprised no-one's mentioned PC (the second PC this is!) and his incredible performance at the White City in the 1977 Inter-continental Final. No rider has ever been greater at his peak than Peter was then... What a tragedy that days later a drain cover smashed up his leg and denied him a second World title... :cry:

Make fun, you are good at that.Wont be reading anymore of your posts you talk a good game but no substance.

The best 2 races I have ever seen for what can only be described as audacity was Wimbledon vs Belle Vue . They are worthy of note as they involve the great Peter Collins and Wimbledons long serving steady Roger Johns. Roger managed to gate even worse than Collins in 2 races they meet in that night but passed PC on the last bend on both yes both ocassions.

What is most memorable is the noise after the second event and that he had ridden wider even than Collins both times.

Chunky can probably tell you when this was as unfortunately I cant anymore!

Surprised no-one's mentioned PC (the second PC this is!) and his incredible performance at the White City in the 1977 Inter-continental Final. No rider has ever been greater at his peak than Peter was then... What a tragedy that days later a drain cover smashed up his leg and denied him a second World title... :cry:

Yes indeed. The pass on Jessup and Davis was something else, went into the bend not really looking a massive threat to pass either of them and came into the straight in front of them both, right the way around the outside. With having PC and Mort and the perfect stage for them to perform in Hyde Road we were certainly spoiled at Belle Vue in the 15 years prior to its demise

Watch it here

Edited by oldace

Ashby wilson british final 75. Ashby stalks wilson for 3 laps before edging in front on the last bend. World cup willy swoops around the outside...crash has his opportunity to gently move out to block wilson`s run, but martin was always the perfect gentleman both on and off the track...wilson wins by the width of a tyre. Long long trip back to wiltshire that night as crash only makes the world final as a reserve..

Ashby wilson british final 75. Ashby stalks wilson for 3 laps before edging in front on the last bend. World cup willy swoops around the outside...crash has his opportunity to gently move out to block wilson`s run, but martin was always the perfect gentleman both on and off the track...wilson wins by the width of a tyre. Long long trip back to wiltshire that night as crash only makes the world final as a reserve..

Went also ER was funny really but i was a big Wilson fan also was so weird.The Wilson exclusion should of cost him but really Martins mistake was when he gated Ray and tiger Louis went too wide and Louis drove him out.I know Martins record dosent show it think he won the Superama 2nd in the BLRC but he really was class.Been blessed at the Abbey Briggo Ashby Crump Adams Autrey (1 season only) not a bad lot eh.

Think I went to the elrc at bellevue when crash was second. Was that 75 as well? Think I was still at school but went on the swindon supporters coach. Seem to recall it being packed to the rafters that night.

Think I went to the elrc at bellevue when crash was second. Was that 75 as well? Think I was still at school but went on the swindon supporters coach. Seem to recall it being packed to the rafters that night.

Didnt go to that ER was only 7 then a cold october night it was 1972 Briggo got in to his head and helped him that night.Even Briggo said Martin was as good as anyone just he didnt believe it..Remember Martin endless times coming from the back usually sneaking through on the inside.From the back i would put Martin up near Briggo, P.C as his gating wasnt the best went to Coventry when Olsen brought crash off.

Martin was absolute mustard round blunsdon. Bend 3 and 4 was where he would make his famous cut backs. Atrocious gater, much like collins, loram, nicholls, harris. Must be an english trait sadly.

Martin was absolute mustard round blunsdon. Bend 3 and 4 was where he would make his famous cut backs. Atrocious gater, much like collins, loram, nicholls, harris. Must be an english trait sadly.

A quiet man never refused a autograph you are right his cut backs were brilliant a joy to see him everyweek .Was very lucky also apparently awesome at the County Ground Exeter he said he didnt like the track at first.

Used to follow the robins everywhere in the seventies and martin always produced double figure scores at every track. Always last out of the traps though. He was able to ride all the tracks, big or small. I remember as a kid actually phoning him at his home address and asking him how the team did the night before at coventry!! He politely answered all my questions! What a top bloke.

As Briggo said Ashby should have realised that at one time he was the best rider in the world. Would say those two racing each other at Blunsdon in the late 60s was the best race I've seen, Ashby riding for Exeter just pipped Briggo. Still speak to the modest Marlborough-flyer on the Blunsdon terraces.