British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Polish Riders In Britain

The late great ANTONI WORYNA.

must say that i thought the Poole management of the time were trying to put together a team consisting of the strangest names available.Lofqvist,Wirebrand,Odd Fossengen and Pete Smith! Woryna was one of the easier ones for the announcer :(

Top man, Roman Chyla! How are you keeping? It's good to see you are still keeping the Polish flag flying, my old friend!

Zyto never rode for a BL club, though, did he?

When the Poles were crushed in the 1973 World Series match by England at Hackney, for once the track didn't procide any good racing because it was very wet. A regular league meeting would have been rained off.

Tony Mc

What about Tadeusz (Teo) Teodorowicz who rode for Swindon in the 60's, he decided to stay here in England.

Please dont get me started about Polish riders, just ask any long standing 'Blunsdonite' about the 2 poles who came along and sadly failed to live up to expectations.

Namely mr Raba and trezkowski (dodgy spelling i know)

however Ed jancarz was a class act.

Top man, Roman Chyla! How are you keeping? It's good to see you are still keeping the Polish flag flying, my old friend!

Zyto never rode for a BL club, though, did he?

When the Poles were crushed in the 1973 World Series match by England at Hackney, for once the track didn't procide any good racing because it was very wet. A regular league meeting would have been rained off.

Tony Mc

Henryk Zyto rode for Cov

What about Tadeusz (Teo) Teodorowicz who rode for Swindon in the 60's, he decided to stay here in England.

sadly he died after a crash at West Ham.There was also Stefan Kwoczala and Marian Kaiser who rode for Leicester,but these riders are earlier than the date the question set out

In the 1960's a Polish club side toured. They were Rybnik.

I remember a team with lots of strange names. Andreije Wyglenda was the pick of their riders. But Konstantyn Pociejowkawicz had the best name, fancy your teacher reading that off the register every morning! Present sir!

In the 1960's a Polish club side toured. They were Rybnik.

I remember a team with lots of strange names. Andreije Wyglenda was the pick of their riders. But Konstantyn Pociejowkawicz had the best name, fancy your teacher reading that off the register every morning! Present sir!

used to dread a tactical substitution!needed to buy a second programme to fill in later :angry:

Guest bd.erf.

There was a polish rider called Piotr Pyszny who rode for Halifax in the early

80s. I remember him taking ages to get used to the banked track but when he

did he was quite good,no good away from home if i recall though. doe,s any one

remember him.

My favourite memory of Polish riders in the UK was Dawid Kujawa walking out of Newport :o

I was never a Gollob fan when he was in his prime, he was too wild and dirty but now when the GP's go to real tracks and you see him ride, you realise just how great he is/was, I was watching a video of a GP from a few years back a few weks ago and he was great. You can see why the Poles idolise him, I'd love to see him back up there in the GP's.

The thing to bear in mind when trying to compare Plech with Gollob is that Zenon usually rode on compratively sub-standard machinery - he certainly didn't have the quality engines and bikes the top riders from western Europe had at the time.

At Hackney, he would not hesitate to ride on the 'track spare' - a pool bike that was supposed to be back-up for all the team's riders. He only ever thought of the team and the fans, not himself or his average. Whereas there were riders who would not go near the spare when their own bike was playing up.

With Plechie, he just pointed the bike - any one - in the right direction and grabbed a handful of throttle! Great days at The Wick.

All the ability, skill and courage in the world, ZP only lacked top equipment and, it must be said, the level of supreme professionalism and dedication that took the likes of Mauger and Olsen to the very top.

Blimey, I'd forgotten about Zabik and Blasczak!

Tony McDonald

Spot on.

Tony McDonald

Hi Tony

Well! What a surprise !

Yes, I'm still keeping the Polish flag flying...high!

And it looks as though you also can't get rid of that speedway bug :-)

Congratulation on your new magazine. I will have to buy a copy now, won't I.

On a serious note. Can anyone advise me, or guide me to the internet site, where I could find any information on Polish riders in Britain before 1975.

cheers

Roman Chyla

In the 1960's a Polish club side toured.  They were Rybnik.

In the sixties Poland visited Old Meadowbank and there was a memorable meeting. my favourite memory was Charlie Monk (great grandparent born in Dundee - so said Ian Hoskins??) riding for Scotland entering bend two with black leathers,exiting and into bend three with white leathers on his right leg due to fence abrasions along the straight.

Superb meeting in not the best conditions.

Such are memories. :)

Hennryk Zyto Coventry early sixties cool stuff :)

Andy Huszcza-Hackney/Leicester

I couldn't believe he was still riding in his own country last season and doing pretty well too. :approve:

I know what you mean he got to be a very good friend of my dads and was pleased to see he was still riding and like you say doing well.