British Speedway Forum
stratton

Will Darcy Ward Be A World Champion In The Future?

World Champs are getting older...: much older. No teenager will win the World title ever again.

Name one teenage Speedway Individual World Champion since 1936.

(Clue: there has never been one).

Emil came along and took the world by storm at the age of 19, just as I fully expect Darcy to next year at the age of 20. Things have not changed. It's the the case that if you're good enough, you're old enough - always has been. And that works both ways - in Greg's case, it's the you're good enough, you're young enough. Age is immaterial.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

World Champs are getting older...: much older. No teenager will win the World title ever again.

Much older? Every world champion in the last 30 years has been younger than Ivan Mauger was in 1979 except this year - by a few months!

So what if a teenager never wins the world title again? when did that last happen anyway?

But there were teenagers who made the World Final and were very serious contenders - three of the greatest riders of all time did so: Ronnie Moore, Peter Collins and Michael Lee.

AND as I said before (and THIS is a point literally no-one has responded to...) there were also riders who weren't young in age but very young in terms of Speedway experience who came into the sport and saw that they could, if good enough, reach the top and get a shot at the World title more or less immediately: the classic example being John Louis.

Whatever else may or may not be matters of opinion, it's an absolute FACT that those opportunties to do that are NOT here now..

Now possibly that doesn't matter (it doesn't clearly to you but then with all due respect you're not a rider!) but it may be a factor in the steady decline of the sport... I think at least you should recognise that there IS a glass ceiling now, when frankly they didn't used to be..

But I know you won't!! :rolleyes:

But there were teenagers who made the World Final and were very serious contenders

You mean like Emil Sayfutdinov?

But there were teenagers who made the World Final and were very serious contenders - three of the greatest riders of all time did so: Ronnie Moore, Peter Collins and Michael Lee.

AND as I said before (and THIS is a point literally no-one has responded to...) there were also riders who weren't young in age but very young in terms of Speedway experience who came into the sport and saw that they could, if good enough, reach the top and get a shot at the World title more or less immediately: the classic example being John Louis.

Whatever else may or may not be matters of opinion, it's an absolute FACT that those opportunties to do that are NOT here now..

Now possibly that doesn't matter (it doesn't clearly to you but then with all due respect you're not a rider!) but it may be a factor in the steady decline of the sport... I think at least you should recognise that there IS a glass ceiling now, when frankly they didn't used to be..

You've changed it already from World Champion to contender. So what was Emil?

You've also decided to add new older riders to try and bolster your argument. Ok,I'll respond to your point about Louis. How many riders are taking up speedway in their mid to late 20s? Are there any? I think the last one was his son Chris! This might just be the reason none of them are getting into the GP series.

:rofl:

OK. That's 3 riders from what, 50 years (?) of World Finals.

As others have pointed out, Emil came in and Darcy has been invited in...and that's just in the last 3 years.

It's clear that the opportunity is there if the riders are good enough. The simple fact is that riders seem to be reaching their peak at a later age these days, or at least maintaining their level for longer.

I don't know for a fact as it's before my time and sadly the statistical history of British speedway isn't online, but I would assume that Moore, Collins and Lee were all fairly near the top of the sport in the league averages as well.

If you look at the averages for the big leagues, the "old guys" are up top there too. It isn't just a "GP thing".

That goes back to what I said before about the sport being more technical and professional than ever before. It's not easy for someone to jump straight in and be right there competing without having a really good backup team and lots of experience.

This again can probably be explained by the increasing professionalism in the sport.

No, it's not easy to just appear in the sport and be successful, because the bar is so much higher.

IMHO, the sport is also less likely to attract late comers these days due to it's relatively low income compared to the top end of other motorcycle sports.

I agree that it probably seems to be harder to make it to the top these days, but I don't think that has anything to do with there being a GP series. It's just that the sport has moved on, as almost all sports have. The level of professionalism and dedication in all sports has changed drastically in the last 25 to 30 years.

You may have an argument that this isn't a good thing, but I genuinely don't think it's anything to do with the GP series or the opportunities available to good, young riders in it.

As it stands it seems that unless a rider has a massive sponsorship from a Polish company, good old Poland eh, and a excellent, loyal team of people around them they don't stand a chance of becoming speedway world champion and it seems, lose money competing in the competition.

Great innit!

As it stands it seems that unless a rider has a massive sponsorship from a Polish company, good old Poland eh, and a excellent, loyal team of people around them they don't stand a chance of becoming speedway world champion and it seems, lose money competing in the competition.

Great innit!

They wouldn't lose money if they took one bike on the back of a Citroën. :D

Watching that clip still makes me blub!

Watching that clip still makes me blub!

That 2nd bend on lap 3 is a carbon copy of Olsen and Penhall in 1981 when they both lift at the same time. The amount of times Harris gets out of shape, I still think he's going to come off. :D

Do people think Darcy will win a world championship in the future?

Yes, Sidney, Ward could be a world champion'in the future'. I feel though that it could well be quite a few years though. I doubt that he has enough experience of man on man level racing as an individual to expect it for a while though.

I do see where parsloes is coming from and agree with most points.Every year when a darcy ward dosent make the gp series full time i think it will get harder and harder for the young riders to do it.Even if good anough will they have the finance and chance to do it. it does seem to be harder my personel opinion if darcy has the time to prepare gets things in place he will be around for a long time and has a chance to win it in the future.i hope darcy just enjoys it at first release the pressure for himself.I think parsloes wants it easier for younger riders to have there chance i agree with this also.

I think parsloes wants it easier for younger riders to have there chance i agree with this also.

Why should it be made easier? It's the world championship. It's not meant to be easy. You have to prove you can be the best rider in the sport to be world champion, and that takes a hell of a lot of hard work, commitment, dedication and discipline to do that in any sport. Making it easier just devalues the whole thing.