British Speedway Forum
BigFatDave

Next Issue Of Classic Speedway - Oct 2011

Besides Johnnie Hoskins' influence in regard to Maitland in 1923, there is substantial evidence in his writings that he played a key role in popularising speedway on the USA's East Coast in 1933. Johnnie was a major figure in getting speedway organised at the Brooklyn Stadium, Coney Island, that year.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Edited by olddon

Besides Johnnie Hoskins' influence in regard to Maitland in 1923, there is substantial evidence in his writings that he played a key role in popularising speedway on the USA's East Coast in 1933. Johnnie was a major figure in getting speedway organised at the Brooklyn Stadium, Coney Island, that year.

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Not according to your latest finding on the oldtimespeedway yahoo site as follows:

--- In oldtimespeedway@yahoogroups.com, "jack.keen@..." <jack.keen@...> wrote:

Source: THE TELEGRAPH, March 8, 2012;;;

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;RE - JACK ORMSTON -

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

NO mention of Coney Island, USA, but there is of Madison Square Gardens, New York

:::::::::::::

"In the winter of 1932-33 he led a British team to Australia, winning the individual unofficial world series in Sydney. As he paraded the trophy around the track he was roundly booed, a reflection not only of the traditional Aussie reaction to being beaten by a Pom, but also of the anti-English feeling whipped up that winter by the "bodyline" cricket series. With the Australian rider Frank Arthur, Ormston then formed a company, with the support of the manager and promoter Johnnie Hoskins, to take a group of riders to New York with a view to operating speedway at Madison Square Garden.

"Despite the harassments of Tammany Hall and the Mafia (everyone wanted a share of the action) they succeeded in getting an option for "the Garden" and prospects looked good. Then Ormston received a telegram telling him that his father was seriously ill; he immediately left for England, arriving home in time to see his father, who died that same evening. Without Ormston's leadership and money, the New York venture collapsed."

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

This topic had an airing in 2006 on the New Zealand site at http://www.historicspeedway.co.nz/

This is Ian Hoskins comments in reply to the start of speedway debate:

“Further to your excellent article on the alleged origins of speedway racing, I thank you for allowing me the right of reply. I agree that various new 'historians' of the sport have felt it would gain them credit if they could debunk the story that speedway, as we know it today, truly began under my father's banner at West Maitland, NSW, Australia on Sunday, December 15th 1923.

“I agree that there were previous isolated motor cycle events that occurred earlier than this in Australia and even America. At least the historians have to be congratulated on their research into newspaper files. But, we may as well go back as far as the Circus Maximus in ancient Rome, where chariot racing was staged before factions of thousands of devoted supporters, who cheered their favorites on to victory in races that were likewise held in an anti-clockwise direction and had chariots broadsiding on the corners.

“Unfortunately for these scribes, none of the events they have dug out from the files, led anywhere. Whereas, Johnnie Hoskins was the first promoter to put up a cash reward for the winner at West Maitland, and from the huge turn-out this novel event generated, speedway began to form in Maitland with a cinder track, rules and regulations, and the broadsiding of bikes in the corners. No previous event inspired such a metamorphosis as this. Finally, there was professionalism in speedway, the rider could live from his earnings on the track, and men such as Ron Johnson, Billy Lamont and Vic Huxley, willingly left Australia to try their luck in England in l928.”

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

This writing by Ian Hoskins looks pretty definitive to me and as he obviously knew Johnnie Hoskins far better than anyone else his opinions deserve respect and to be accepted. I think the last paragraph is of great importance and summarises adequately how he feels about those who seek to belittle his father's pioneering efforts to create and then further establish speedway racing.

I think this should be a closed debate now. It was supposed to be a forthcoming article by Ian Hoskins in a copy of 'Classic Speedway' before Christmas 2011. However, the debate is still going strongly in this section. For all the latest comments I suggest you look as follows

Years Gone By

History of Speedway, including defunct tracks, famous riders, classic meetings.

Maitland Speedway Anniversary

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Edited by olddon
  • Like 1

I think this should be a closed debate now. It was supposed to be a forthcoming article by Ian Hoskins in a copy of 'Classic Speedway' before Christmas 2011. However, the debate is still going strongly in this section. For all the latest comments I suggest you look as follows

Years Gone By

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Agreed.

Years Gone By

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Maitland Speedway Anniversary - see YEARS GONE BY. The quote will give you more exciting data on the claims regarding Johnnie Hoskins at Maitland in December 1923. Enjoy! JACK KEEN,ERITH, KENT

Edited by olddon