British Speedway Forum
BigFatDave

Next Issue Of Classic Speedway - Oct 2011

http://www.legtrailerart.com

LEGTRAILERS By speedway artist John Proud.

Through the medium of my painting I wish to take you back to a time when the crowds were huge, the dirt was deep and speedway riers used a style known as legtrailing.

This is my tribute to the Dirt Track Pioneers...

Strangely, dirt track racing evolved from a sport which had nothing to do with dirt. A century ago bicycle racing was all the rage in the USA. Special veldromes were erected to stage the racing. On these tracks some of the cycle races were paced by motorcycles. It wasn’t long before the motorcyclists began to stage races too.

This new sport quickly outgrew the cycle velodromes. Timber was plentiful and labour was cheap. Spurred on by former cycle racing promoters like Jack Prince, massive, banked oval tracks were built in many parts of the country. As the tracks grew in size, so did the bikes. Within a few years huge 1000cc. machines, without brakes, clutches or exhaust pipes were thundering round the near vertical wooden walls. It was spectacular – and it was dangerous. And not just to the riders.

A series of fatal accidents involving spectators led to a move away from the boardtracks. By the nineteen twenties US promoters began to favour holding their sport on the many horse racing ovals which dotted America. There riders developed a riding style which exploited the tracks’ dirt surface. Malwyn Jones is credited with being the first rider to corner using a broadside technique known as the ‘pendulum skid’. Soon a controlled slide became the accepted way to corner on all US dirt tracks.

Then, in late 1925, three American riders, Cec Brown, Sprouts Elder and Eddie Brinck decided to try their luck in Australia, where, unknown to them, exciting things had been happening…

Two years previously, a young New Zealander had strolled into a railway station in Sydney, Australia and placed the last of his cash on the ticket counter.

‘How far will this take me ?’ he asked the clerk.

‘West Maitland,’ came the reply.

The Kiwi didn’t hesitate. ‘OK’, he said. ’Gimme a ticket.’

The young man’s name was John Stark Hoskins. His friends called him Johnnie. Already Johnnie Hoskins had packed more into his thirty odd years than most people manage in a lifetime. As it happened the good people of West Maitland had a place for just such an adventurer. The Agricultural Society was looking for someone to breathe new life into the events at their Showground. Johnnie was made for the job.

At first things didn’t go too well. Johnnie tried the town band, dancing on the green, even goat racing. He needed something new – something different. Then, one Saturday night, he let the local motorcycle club loose on the trotting track. The result was chaos - but the crowds loved it. Johnnie had his new idea and a new sport was born.

Soon things got even more spectacular. ‘You gotta let us put our foot down in the bends, Johnnie.’ the riders moaned. Off came the footrests and the riders began to experiment with quicker ways of getting round the corners.

Then, into this Aussie mayhem, came three Americans who knew all about cornering motorcycles on dirt.

The new sport rapidly became the rage in Australia. Enthusiastic visitors from England were also impressed. They urged Hoskins and other Australian promoters to try their luck in Britain. So in 1928 an intrepid band of pioneers set out for Europe.

Their arrival caused a sensation. Huge crowds flocked to see this new ‘dirt track racing’ as it was called. Riders became household names overnight. Fortunes were made. Of all the dirt track stars none shone brighter than the American – Sprouts Elder. The lanky Californian was a supreme showman as well as a brilliant, spectacular rider. Everyone wanted to see him ride and he was able to collect huge fees in appearance money alone.

For two seasons Elder and his Douglas dominated the British scene. Then the novelty of the new sport began to wear off. Speedway racing needed a shot in the arm. This came in the form of league racing. The sport was saved. However the discipline of team riding did not appeal to the devil-may-care Elder. To the dismay of his fans Sprouts packed his bags, pocketed his money and returned to the USA.

Back home Elder ran into trouble. Poor financial speculation cost him his fortune. He became a speedcop in his native Fresno. There, he was seriously injured in a crash and became disabled. When his wife died, he took his own life. It was a sad end for a man who for two years thrilled the fans who crowded the speedways of Britain.

The early stars of British Speedway were either Australian or American, but it wasn't long before the local lads were giving these experts a run for their money. Soon the likes of Roger Frogley, Jack Parker, Frank Varey and the Langton brothers were mixing it with the best.

The locals did so well that the best of them were barred, along with their overseas colleagues, from the early league teams. To accomodate the best talent a Star Riders Championship was organised and in 1930 there were ten Englishmen in the final. By 1932 the Championship was open to all and the following year it was won by one of the greatest English riders - Tom Farndon.

Tom was a Coventry lad who started racing at his local track before moving to the wide open spaces of the Crystal Palace. There he became a true superstar. At one time he held the track recoed at every National League circuit. His ability to ride on any track was emphesized when his team moved from the 440 yard oval at Crystal Palace to the tiny 'frying pan' at New Cross which was only half the size. Tom still had the beating of allcomers.

Farndon was red hot favourite for 1935 Star Riders Championship when, the night before the final, he crashed in a meaningless second half race at New Cross. Tom was rushed to hospital where he died two days later. It was a tragedy which, up till then, had no parallel in British speedway history.

Arguably it could be said that Johnnie Hoskins saved Wembley Stadium. The arena was built for the Empire Exhibition of 1924, but by the end of the decade its owner, Sir Arthur Elvin, was struggling to make ends meet. He needed something to fill the stadium week after week. He thought the new Dirt Track League might be the answer. Wisely he asked Johnnie to assemble a team. Using his influence with the best riders Hoskins got together a squad which was almost invincible. Crowds of 80,000 became the norm. Wembley was saved.

However Hoskins and Elvin fell out over Johnnie's desire to take a team to Australia and Hoskins left Wembley to take over the promotion at West Ham. The big Custom House track in London's East End was made for Johnnie. The crowds loved his stunts and celebrity guests. Hoskins built his team around his star man Bluey Wilkinson.

Wilkinson was no overnight sensation when he first arrived from Australia. But, by the mid 'Thirties he was up among the best. He should have won the first World Championship in 1936, but the scoring system went against him. Two years later he made no mistake, beating his great friend Jack Milne (USA) by just one point. Then he quit. His left knee could take no more.

In 1940 Bluey was back home in Australia awaiting call up to the RAAF. He didn't get the chance to serve. On the way back from a cinema trip with his wife Muriel he was killed in a road accident.

At the end of World War Two Johnnie Hoskins was quick to reopen his tracks at West Ham and Newcastle. It was at the latter that I saw my first Speedway meeting.

My dad, a lifelong motorcycle fan, took me to see a match between Johnnie’s Diamonds and Birmingham. I remember it still. The weather was awful. Maybe the meeting should have been called off. But Brough Park was full and no one seemed keen to disappoint those sport starved fans. The big shot, foot forward riders didn’t shine that night. Instead the star of the evening was an Aussie named Syd Littlewood. Syd was a legtrailer – and I had my first hero.

Every succeeding Monday night I watched for legtrailers. There were quite a number of riders who still practised the technique and, thanks to Johnnie Hoskins shrewd promotion, I got to see some of the pioneers of the sport. Among the favourites I cheered on were Oliver Hart, Bert Spencer, Ted Bravery, Max Grosskreutz and George Newton – to name but a few.

It was all a long time ago. I still go to Speedway meetings. I enjoy the sounds and the smells. And I marvel at the brave young men who earn a living by making motorcycles go sideways. But old men like to look back. Was it really better when the engines roared unsilenced, the track was deep with cinders and the riders cornered their machines by trailing their left legs out behind?

Posted on site by

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

And you think this is proof :rofl: as a certain tennis player said "You cant be serious" I hope you never get on a jury :rolleyes:

John Proud a real expert on speedway history. I suppose he spent years researching, that is when he wasnt painting speedway pics. (No offence to Mr Proud)

Jack you should be a script writer for a comedy prog. :rofl:

Do you spend your life trying to wind every one up.

Do you read the "SUN"

:cheers:

Edited by Nigel

Through the medium of my painting I wish to take you back to a time when the crowds were huge, the dirt was deep and speedway riers used a style known as legtrailing.

This is my tribute to the Dirt Track Pioneers...

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Ah bless, someone has learnt how to use Copy & Paste. Well done, Jack.

Historical investigations can be forgotton now.

Edited by Grand Central

Ah bless, someone has learnt how to use Copy & Paste. Well done, Jack.

Historical investigations can be forgotton now.

Awwww, that'll put an end to all the efforts of the amateur historians' brigade - that means we'll hear no more red herrings - not metaphors, Nigel, (it HAD to be a 'Nigel') - about the Duke of Denbigh and Evolutionists v Creationists, etc, and the discussion can get back to where it started, about what Johnnie Hoskins actually, and provably, DID. He organised a rough-and-ready bunch of rural rogues and roustabouts and started promoting professional motorcycle racing meetings on a regular basis; the result of which is today what we know as SPEEDWAY.

As I said in my first post, something which so many seem to have conveniently ignored in order to unload their vitriol and put their own slanted, jaundiced, condescending viewpoint across; Johnnie Hoskins is the Godfather of SPEEDWAY.

Edited by BigFatDave

what Johnnie Hoskins actually, and provably, DID. He organised a rough-and-ready bunch of rural rogues and roustabouts and started promoting professional motorcycle racing meetings on a regular basis; the result of which is today what we know as SPEEDWAY.

As I said in my first post, something which so many seem to have conveniently ignored in order to unload their vitriol and put their own slanted, jaundiced, condescending viewpoint across; Johnnie Hoskins is the Godfather of SPEEDWAY.

No-one has ignored it Dave. But the problem is, it is just not true. you say it is "provable", but the only evidence you have given so far is a plaque put up 80 years later. You have still not pointed to any original research to show that what you have said is actually the case. Some of those "rough and ready bunch of rural rogues and roustabouts" were motor-cyclists who had already ridden at a number of the other meetings and venues I have mentioned before. It was not their first time.

It is true that probably the greatest contribution West Maitland made to speedway was not that it was the first but that regular meetings were held there. BUT, after that meeting on 15 December they were not promoted by Johnnie Hoskins. Most of them were promoted by Campbell and Du Frocq under their manager, Billy Dart.

And why do you have to use emotive words like "vitriol" "slanted", "jaundiced" in what should be a rational debate? Just because you disagree does not give you the right to say that about what other people say. Why should I not say that your views are "slanted", "jaundiced" and "vitriolic"? What possible reason do you think we could have for saying that Johnnie Hoskins didn't invent speedway other than historical research shows that to be the case? As I keep saying I have the highest regard for Johnnie Hoskins. I certainly have nothing personal against him. Why would I? I didn't know him personally. The nearest I got to knowing him was seeing him every week at New Cross. He was a hero of mine in my younger days. It was him that brought me to speedway by re-opening New Cross, the team I still regard as MY team (see my avatar). But my lifetime as a historian shows me that you cannot ignore proven historical research in favour of something you'd like to be true. Sadly, the fact of the matter is that Johnnie Hoskins did not invent speedway and no-one here so far has given up anything but second-hand writings and anecdotes to back up the claim that he did. Whereas there is a whole body of first hand evidence to show that he did not invent speedway and that the meeting at West Maitland held on 15 December 1923 was nothing new nor particularly special in Australia at the time.

Edited by norbold

A series of fatal accidents involving spectators led to a move away from the boardtracks.  By the nineteen twenties US promoters began to favour holding their sport on the many horse racing ovals which dotted America.  There riders developed a riding style which exploited  the tracks’ dirt surface.  Malwyn Jones is credited with being the first rider to corner using a broadside technique known as the ‘pendulum skid’.  Soon a controlled slide became the accepted way to corner on all  US dirt tracks.

Then, in late 1925,  three American riders, Cec Brown, Sprouts Elder and Eddie Brinck  decided to try their luck in Australia,  where,  unknown to them,  exciting things had been happening…

Two years previously, a young New Zealander had strolled into a railway station in Sydney, Australia and placed the last of his cash on the ticket counter.

‘How far will this take me ?’  he asked the clerk.

‘West Maitland,’  came the reply.

The Kiwi didn’t hesitate.  ‘OK’, he said. ’Gimme a ticket.’

The young man’s name was John Stark Hoskins.  His friends called him Johnnie. Already Johnnie Hoskins had packed more into his thirty odd years than most people manage in a lifetime.  As it happened the good people of West Maitland had a place for just such an adventurer.  The Agricultural Society was looking for someone to breathe new life into the events at their Showground.  Johnnie was made for the job.

At first things didn’t go too well.  Johnnie tried the town band, dancing on the green, even goat racing.  He needed something new – something different.  Then, one Saturday night, he let the local motorcycle club loose on the trotting track.  The result was chaos -  but the crowds loved it.  Johnnie had his new idea and a new sport was born.

Soon things got even more spectacular.  ‘You gotta let us put our foot down in the bends, Johnnie.’ the riders moaned.  Off came the footrests and the riders began to experiment with quicker ways of getting round the corners. 

Then, into this Aussie mayhem, came three Americans who knew all about cornering motorcycles on dirt.

Posted on site by

JACK KEEN,

ERITH, KENT

Surely the timescale is a little wrong there?Didn't Brinck travel to Australia late 1926?I would have thought that was a little late to be showing the Aussies how to ride with their foot down.Other Americans had been going to Australia(probably on sales drives for the Motorcycle companies)from at least 1915 when Erwin 'Cannonball' Baker went over.The same reason the Indian team with DeRosier went over to the IoM TT in 1911.Brinck didn't stay too long as by the summer of 1927 he died in the US.What is the history of Cec Brown?And did Sprouts Elder stay the whole of 1927 and travel over to England with Huntings riders and Hoskins?Hoskins was also at the time of Brincks arrival no longer at West Maitland,but in Sydney

Yes, iris, the timescale is all wrong.

Also, the bit olddon highlights in red as though it's proof is lifted straight from Johnnie Hoskins' own book, "Speedway Walkabout", so it's not an independent view nor a first hand account by someone else verifying what Johnnie wrote. It's just a straight copy.

Yes, iris, the timescale is all wrong.

Also, the bit olddon highlights in red as though it's proof is lifted straight from Johnnie Hoskins' own book, "Speedway Walkabout", so it's not an independent view nor a first hand account by someone else verifying what Johnnie wrote. It's just a straight copy.

Ah i didn't know that.Thanks Norbold.I would also be surprised if the Americans were going into the unknown as it suggests when visiting Australia.I would have thought news was reaching the States fairly regularly of what was going on in the wide world.Sales staff would regularly be speaking with the men in America and like i mentioned other riders had been over and seen what was going on.The world wasn't quite so cut off as maybe people think it was.It was news of the new track at Brooklands(1907) that inspired the Indianapolis Speedway to be built.There is an excellent piece of footage of Board Racing from 1920 on the net,which was filmed by the Indian Motorcycle rep from Czechoslovakia on his visit to the States,so i would imagine many other Reps from around the world had visited the States and seen what was going on.Just a pity there doesn't as far as i know seem to be any footage from a Dirt Track meeting in the States or even Australia at this time

I've just received a copy of the latest issue of Classic Speedway. Did you know there is an article in there by Ian Hoskins about his father, Johnnie. It makes very interesting reading.....

I've just received a copy of the latest issue of Classic Speedway. Did you know there is an article in there by Ian Hoskins about his father, Johnnie. It makes very interesting reading.....

What does it say Norb,what does it say?Did he or didn't he? :unsure::rofl:

Buy yer own!

No, I give up, mick.

Where did I say that Johnnie Hoskins didn't open Odsal?

Actually it's quite an anti-climax. It doesn't say what BFD says in the post that started this thread off. Actually, I wouldn't disagree too much with what Ian says in his article. In fact, I've already said it above. Firstly that the importance of the West Maitland meeting was that it was the start of "continuity" and secondly that he subsequently promoted speedway at other locations across Australia. The only thing I would say is that when he says, he "left a trail that led to High Beech in England and from there, the world..." of course he had nothing directly to do with the High Beech meeting and, although the role he played as a promoter in Australia was very important, it gives no credit to the other great Australian promoter of the time, A J Hunting, who subsequently had a much bigger influence on the early days of speedway as an organised sport in England.

The rest of the article is about how Johnnie Hoskins opened up Odsal and Newcastle and re-introduced speedway to Scotland at Glasgow after the War. All of which, as far as I know, is true. As I keep saying I have the greatest respect for Johnnie Hoskins as a promoter. He was a great promoter, who as Ian says in the article, took great risks. Speedway would have been all the poorer without him. He lived and breathed speedway, no-one has ever denied this. But it doesn't mean that the meeting on 15 December 1923 was any different to dozens of meetings that had already been held in Australia and America and there is no way that Johnnie Hoskins could be said to have "invented" speedway. A great promoter, yes; a great publicist, yes; but not an inventor.

Edited by norbold

No-one has ignored it Dave. But the problem is, it is just not true. you say it is "provable", but the only evidence you have given so far is a plaque put up 80 years later. You have still not pointed to any original research to show that what you have said is actually the case. Some of those "rough and ready bunch of rural rogues and roustabouts" were motor-cyclists who had already ridden at a number of the other meetings and venues I have mentioned before. It was not their first time.

It is true that probably the greatest contribution West Maitland made to speedway was not that it was the first but that regular meetings were held there. BUT, after that meeting on 15 December they were not promoted by Johnnie Hoskins. Most of them were promoted by Campbell and Du Frocq under their manager, Billy Dart.

And why do you have to use emotive words like "vitriol" "slanted", "jaundiced" in what should be a rational debate? Just because you disagree does not give you the right to say that about what other people say. Why should I not say that your views are "slanted", "jaundiced" and "vitriolic"? What possible reason do you think we could have for saying that Johnnie Hoskins didn't invent speedway other than historical research shows that to be the case? As I keep saying I have the highest regard for Johnnie Hoskins. I certainly have nothing personal against him. Why would I? I didn't know him personally. The nearest I got to knowing him was seeing him every week at New Cross. He was a hero of mine in my younger days. It was him that brought me to speedway by re-opening New Cross, the team I still regard as MY team (see my avatar). But my lifetime as a historian shows me that you cannot ignore proven historical research in favour of something you'd like to be true. Sadly, the fact of the matter is that Johnnie Hoskins did not invent speedway and no-one here so far has given up anything but second-hand writings and anecdotes to back up the claim that he did. Whereas there is a whole body of first hand evidence to show that he did not invent speedway and that the meeting at West Maitland held on 15 December 1923 was nothing new nor particularly special in Australia at the time.

I must admit to having a change of mind. :shock:

After viewing the various Postings on here I am now not as convinced as I was regarding this issue. Johnnie Hoskins is still, to my mind a GIANT of the Sport and largely, with Mr. Hunting, responsible for the DEVELOPMENT and PROMOTING of the Sport from it's early beginnings.

I have, because of weighing up the EVIDENCE on here and doing a little research of my own, got to now admit to the fact that there were people 'sliding' moterbikes BEFORE the Maitland Meeting that is widely regarded as the first ever Speedway Meeting.

This does not lessen the special place that Johnnie Hoskins has within our Sport. He was clever enough to see the possibilities, he had the vision. I still believe that we have Johnnie Hoskins to thank for the way Speedway is today - BUT - crucially and sadly I have to admit I no longer think that Maitland was the first ever Speedway type Meeting. :sad:

The highlighted part of your Post Norman - I wish I could use the Avatar of my Teams - Sunderland 'Stars' and Sunderland 'Saints'. Sadly, for me anyway, it seems that Sunderland is a step too far for the Avatar Section. :sad:

I know I have mentioned this before - BUT - it WAS a long time ago and I apologise to those who are fed up with me going on about it. But I AM trying to keep the name of Sunderland Speedway alive in the Speedway World. :)

Ian.

Edited by The White Knight

I must admit to having a change of mind. :shock:

After viewing the various Postings on here I am now not as convinced as I was regarding this issue. Johnnie Hoskins is still, to my mind a GIANT of the Sport and largely, with Mr. Hunting, responsible for the DEVELOPMENT and PROMOTING of the Sport from it's early beginnings.

I have, because of weighing up the EVIDENCE on here and doing a little research of my own, got to now admit to the fact that there were people 'sliding' moterbikes BEFORE the Maitland Meeting that is widely regarded as the first ever Speedway Meeting.

This does not lessen the special place that Johnnie Hoskins has within our Sport. He was clever enough to see the possibilities, he had the vision. I still believe that we have Johnnie Hoskins to thank for the way Speedway is today - BUT - crucially and sadly I have to admit I no longer think that Maitland was the first ever Speedway type Meeting. :sad:

The highlighted part of your Post Norman - I wish I could use the Avatar of my Teams - Sunderland 'Stars' and Sunderland 'Saints'. Sadly, for me anyway, it seems that Sunderland is a step too far for the Avatar Section. :sad:

I know I have mentioned this before - BUT - it WAS a long time ago and I apologise to those who are fed up with me going on about it. But I AM trying to keep the name of Sunderland Speedway alive in the Speedway World. :)

Ian.

Indeed.Don't think anyone is trying to deny Hoskins an important place in the history of our sport.But it shouldn't make the role of other important figures like the Americans and AJ Hunting anything less than they deserve.It should also be remembered that speedway wouldn't be what it is today(in Europe at least)without James Baxter,who was convinced that team/league speedway was the way to go