British Speedway Forum
phillipsr

Most Likeable Riders

This might surprise you.....but i would agree with a lot of that post.Never got to meet PC,so i can't say on that.But Ronnie was a fantastic rider from a fans point of view.As was Tommy Jansson.Always had time for the fans.After the late 70s i never really bothered with autographs and so never really bothered to make contact with riders.But now in the latter yea would have to say Stephan Katt + Matten Kröger are always ready to talk.And having met and chatted to Rune Holta he is great,despite seeming to get a bad press from a lot of people.Hauzinger was always good for a chat and Tobi Kroner(even though i am no fan of his)seems to have been born with a smile on his face.Someone mentione Kenni Larsen and i had a great talk with him this year.But two of my current favourites are Mikkel B.Jensen and Mikkel Michelsen,who i have known and talked to for a number of years now.

But i would agree with your last statement,that it is easier to name the riders who aren't friendly.Even Mauger could be friendly if you caught him at the right time.Which is always something to keep in mind with riders who take the sport/business serious

I am not surprised as you can have great differences on one topic and agree on another. I am sure you would also agree that the Dons are greatest club that speedway has ever known.

Hans Andersen has always beem great. Nice guy got time for fans and wrote a really nice comment in my sons book when he was having surgery. Always will make time for photos

Kenni Larsen top bloke always has time for his fans. Wrote message for Mikeys book via facebook as he was riding at Newcastle then.

I know these are two of my favourite riders if you ask my son Mikeys he would have lots to add.

Edited by tas

You'll find most riders friendly if you approach them. From my childhood the rider who was pig ignorant though was John davis. he's still got a black mark against his name.

Strange..... He freely gave his time one evening in the 80s to present my sister with her Queen's Guide award at her Guide HQ which from memory was about 20 miles from where he lived. She still has the picture of the presentation on her wall today. Once the presentation was done he stayed around for a couple of hours chatting to everyone. We all thought it was a great gesture and that he was a great ambassador for speedway.

Often get chatting to riders in the Golf Range before a meeting and Richard Lawson and Cory Gathercole were two approachable ones that instantly spring to mind. Can't think of many that aren't really approachable and on my last visit to the OTA Sam Masters was happy to have his pic taken with my 3 year old daughter which made her night despite probably Sam would have rather been heading for the showers. Glenn Cunningham was always willing to have a chat as well when he was riding for the Rebels.

Has to Be Greg Hancock for me, went to Coventry years ago ELRC, met up With greg in the pits ,and long after the others were Showered and Gone Greg was Still in the Pits Talking to Fans having his photo taken with youngsters, the only thing that stopped him was when they turned the Stadium lights Out, and we had to leave

James Birkenshaw,Kyle Legault,Steve Johnston,Kenni Larsen,Chris Kerr,Rusty Harrison and Jason Lyons.

I would say Chris Harris. My daughter and i are regulars at Peterborough.When my daughter was about 12years old, Chris was riding reserve for the Panthers.. before he became famous, we used to arrive at the showground about 5,30pm walk straight into the pits and talk to Chris and his grandad. They were always very friendly and kind to my daughter...happy days!!

Ryan Sullivan too always had time for a chat probably the best rider ever at Alwalton.

Havvy bought me a pint in Polska once. Scott Nicholls didn't.

Likeable's an easy one. You only have to follow this forum to work it out. If the definition of likeable is how many have a bad word to say about someone.

Step forward PK.

Apart from some of the more militant BV fans I guess :wink:

I think everyone must like Peter Karlson.

Likeable's an easy one. You only have to follow this forum to work it out. If the definition of likeable is how many have a bad word to say about someone.

Step forward PK.

PK. Top bloke

Step forward PK.

Apart from some of the more militant BV fans I guess :wink:

Not so much militant as those few who see conspiracy theories around every corner. ;)

PK is deservedly liked and respected by most fans.

One name I would put forward is Charlie Gjedde, always approachable and cheerful and has time for fans but again there will be a few Berwick fans who disagree.

Surely one of the most likable riders ever has to be Mark Loram. Almost all riders get a slating at some point but I've never seen or heard a bad word about Mark either by riders or fans.. There's nothing to dislike about him.

Ryan Sullivan

:o

Edited by ImpartialOne

One name I would put forward is Charlie Gjedde, always approachable and cheerful and has time for fans but again there will be a few Berwick fans who disagree.

...and Swindon!