British Speedway Forum
phillipsr

Most Likeable Riders

I noticed a thread on here a few weeks ago where a rider had ignored a request for an autograph and it got me thinking on peoples views on who are the most likable/friendly riders out there past or present. The ones who are allways willing to have a picture taken or just have a chat in general. It doesnt matter if there old or young. From this era or another. Ill start with two from different eras

Martin Goodwin- Martin was a Rye House when i was first taken to speedway as a young boy was allways very friendly often having his picture taken with me (about 10 times a meeting) he was also one of the first characters i saw in the sport.

The second one is Adam Roynon- Allways very friendly and approachable. Doesnt mind pictures or autographs. I also find his attitude to speedway amazing considering his injuries and genuinely believe he would be elite league heat leader standard if it wasnt for these. He has also agreed to come to our wedding so we can have pictures taken with him and the bikes as he has allways been our favourite rider. This to me goes far above what we could expect of riders

These are my two. What are other peoples views. Lets hope this stays a nice positive thread

Paul Cooper. Before the meeting he's on his knees talking to the kids, signing autographs, chatting away and almost misses the meeting. Then afterwards you'll find him sat in the bar, usually with a kid on his knee, rather than stood surrounded by other riders.

One of the most down to earth people I've ever had the pleasure to meet. Just don't stick him in the fence or Mr Hyde comes for you :wink:

Over a number of years my favourites have been Colin Caffrey,Charlie Mckinna, Micheal Makovsky and Adrian Rymel.Others to many to mention,in general most riders have time for the fans IMO.

Paul Cooper. Before the meeting he's on his knees talking to the kids, signing autographs, chatting away and almost misses the meeting. Then afterwards you'll find him sat in the bar, usually with a kid on his knee, rather than stood surrounded by other riders.

One of the most down to earth people I've ever had the pleasure to meet. Just don't stick him in the fence or Mr Hyde comes for you :wink:

Would make an excellent Father Christmas. :lol:

Actually you are spot on with Coops, like you say always had time for the fans, I remember a few years ago he suffered a nasty leg injury at Glasgow and there had been a collection for him. He took himself in to the stands hobbling around on crutches to thank the fans personally and have a chat with us as well. Top Bloke. :t:

Martin Goodwin- Martin was a Rye House when i was first taken to speedway as a young boy was allways very friendly often having his picture taken with me (about 10 times a meeting) he was also one of the first characters i saw in the sport.

Wasn't that likeable at Glasgow the day he nearly killed David Walsh :shock:

But as for being brilliant with the fans , there was none better at Glasgow than " The Messiah " Shane Parker . George Stancl was another who always had a lot of time for the fans .

I've had/witnessed good things from Armando Castagna, Steve Johnson, Dave Norris, Colin White and I know he can have his rubbishty moments but Jason Crump. And lastly, Tom Brown - That boy can and does talk for Wales, he'll talk to anyone about anything.

Wasn't that likeable at Glasgow the day he nearly killed David Walsh :shock:

But as for being brilliant with the fans , there was none better at Glasgow than " The Messiah " Shane Parker . George Stancl was another who always had a lot of time for the fans .

Ill have to admit to being to young to remember that. I can only remeber the fact he was willing to spend endless time with me before and after meetings.

I think most fans would agree Chris Schramm takes some beating, he is such a likeable and approachable young man, one evening he had been asleep in his van before a meeting, and I woke him up and asked if he would mind posing for a photo with a young lady who'd come early to get some photo's with riders on her 18th birthday, well he woke himself up, donned his witches gear and posed with her, with his lovely smile.

Another rider is Piotr Swiderski, always smiling and approachable.

Chris Kerr was ALWAYS great with Supporters, kids etc. He always made time for them. When he was at Redcar, when most of the other Riders had packed up and gone,you would still find Chris, still in his Kevlars, chatting to folk and signing autographs or having his photograph taken with someone. :approve:

A Gentleman in the true sense too. :approve:

Ben Barker is especially good with the young fans.

However for me the most approachable riders I have ever met were Ronnie Moore and Peter Craven. Neither of them considered themselves to be Speedway Stars but simply riders who wanted to entertain the public. Though you might not have thought it when they were racing against each other, winning was not the be all and end all of speedway. Ronnie once said to me that it was better to lose a great race than win a procession. I have seen both of them finish races with bleeding knuckles where an opponent had taken them right to the fence or they have squeezed through a tiny gap between an opponent and the fence.

Nicki Pedersen should been around in Ronnie and Peter's era because compared to some riders when they started racing, Nicki is a saint: You can ask Ronnie and he will tell you when they started there were riders who would deliberately put you into the fence, even sometimes the stars of their own teams.

There are really too many of todays riders who are easy to talk to to be able name them individually and have been over the years, it is probably much easier to name those that are not or were not very good with fans.

I think most fans would agree Chris Schramm takes some beating, he is such a likeable and approachable young man, one evening he had been asleep in his van before a meeting, and I woke him up and asked if he would mind posing for a photo with a young lady who'd come early to get some photo's with riders on her 18th birthday, well he woke himself up, donned his witches gear and posed with her, with his lovely smile.

Another rider is Piotr Swiderski, always smiling and approachable.

Chris has got fantastic parents as well. When Chris was younger I think they spent as much or more time chatting to fans than Chris himself and they are people you want to talk to.

However for me the most approachable riders I have ever met were Ronnie Moore and Peter Craven. Neither of them considered themselves to be Speedway Stars but simply riders who wanted to entertain the public. Though you might not have thought it when they were racing against each other, winning was not the be all and end all of speedway. Ronnie once said to me that it was better to lose a great race than win a procession. I have seen both of them finish races with bleeding knuckles where an opponent had taken them right to the fence or they have squeezed through a tiny gap between an opponent and the fence.

Nicki Pedersen should been around in Ronnie and Peter's era because compared to some riders when they started racing, Nicki is a saint: You can ask Ronnie and he will tell you when they started there were riders who would deliberately put you into the fence, even sometimes the stars of their own teams.

There are really too many of todays riders who are easy to talk to to be able name them individually and have been over the years, it is probably much easier to name those that are not or were not very good with fans.

Your right in there are plenty that are unfortuantely not good with fans. Thats the point of this thread is that we take time to realise those that do. Ive heard about Barker being good with the fans its why its allways amazed me he isnt that popular amongst fans.

This might surprise you.....but i would agree with a lot of that post.Never got to meet PC,so i can't say on that.But Ronnie was a fantastic rider from a fans point of view.As was Tommy Jansson.Always had time for the fans.After the late 70s i never really bothered with autographs and so never really bothered to make contact with riders.But now in the latter yea would have to say Stephan Katt + Matten Kröger are always ready to talk.And having met and chatted to Rune Holta he is great,despite seeming to get a bad press from a lot of people.Hauzinger was always good for a chat and Tobi Kroner(even though i am no fan of his)seems to have been born with a smile on his face.Someone mentione Kenni Larsen and i had a great talk with him this year.But two of my current favourites are Mikkel B.Jensen and Mikkel Michelsen,who i have known and talked to for a number of years now.

But i would agree with your last statement,that it is easier to name the riders who aren't friendly.Even Mauger could be friendly if you caught him at the right time.Which is always something to keep in mind with riders who take the sport/business serious

Going back to my childhood i would have to say Terry Betts was one of the most approachable riders. I remember he was doing a collection for the riders fund in the bar at Lynn. My dad was in the bar and said my daughter would love to meet you he said he would wait and my dad came to get me. By the time we got to the bar the riders were being called back to the pits he said i have to go but told me to come to the pits next week.

The next week i went to the pits and he showed me around.

I then met him at Lynn again last year and told him i had met him when i was 8 and he said no way i didn't look old enough. Still a Charmer and really nice guy.