British Speedway Forum

I must admit I am in some agreement with aljack on this one.

Not that I think that the 16 Lapper is stale, but I don't think the timing is right.

I'm in essence a traditionalist, and I always associate the 16 Lapper with a lovely warm sunny evening in June / July. Also when the meeting was first run it was with a full 16 rider field, which no only added more to the qualifying competition, but also provided a better consolation race.

Now I'm prepared to accept that nostalgia ain't what it used to be, and no doubt there are probably some very good business reasons why we have the meeting in the format it is now. However I would personally like to see the 16 Lapper run mid season with a 16 rider field, and then the Star of Anglia as the farewell meeting.

Lewis Blackbird rides in place of Jerran Hart.

Full line-up, in riding order:

1. Taylor Poole

2. Nick Morris

3. Mads Korneliussen

4. Mark Lemon

5. Morten Risager

6. Ritchie Hawkins

7. Jordan Frampton

8. Kevin Doolan

9. Lewis Blackbird

10. Carl Wilkinson

11. Cameron Heeps

12. Ben Barker (Current Title Holder)

Edited by Lovey

great rumour on who's the last man in the meeting next week.......

Interesting.........

So who was this rumour meant to have been?

Qualifying heats, reading left to right it's Red Gate 1, Blue 2, White 3 and Yellow 4:

1: Taylor Poole, Nick Morris, Mads Korneliussen, Mark Lemon

2: Morten Risager, Jordan Frampton, Ritchie Hawkins, Kevin Doolan

3: Carl Wilkinson, Cameron Heeps, Lewis Blackbird, Ben Barker

4: Mark Lemon, Taylor Poole, Morten Risager, Lewis Blackbird

5: Kevin Doolan, Carl Wilkinson, Nick Morris, Ritchie Hawkins

6: Cameron Heeps, Ben Barker, Jordan Frampton, Mads Korneliussen

7: Lewis Blackbird, Ritchie Hawkins, Taylor Poole, Cameron Heeps

8: Ben Barker, Morten Risager, Mark Lemon, Nick Morris

9: Jordan Frampton, Mads Korneliussen, Kevin Doolan, Carl Wilkinson

10: Nick Morris, Kevin Doolan, Ben Barker, Taylor Poole

11: Ritchie Hawkins, Mark Lemon, Cameron Heeps, Jordan Frampton

12: Mads Korneliussen, Lewis Blackbird, Carl Wilkinson, Morten Risager

Supplementary Regulations:

Eight highest scorers in the qualifying heats go through to the Finale, the lowest four scorers go to the Consolation. In the evnt of a tie on qualifying points, the following rules apply:

1: If 2 riders tie, the highest qualifier determined by head-to-head results where riders meet during the qualifying races.

2: If more than 2 riders tie on points, or 2 riders either did not meet or met each other twice and scores still level, then the highest qualifier shall be determined by the number of race wins, seconds and thirds.

3: Fourth places will be judged to be more advantageous than non-finishes.

4: If still unable to resolve the qualifying order, then the rider with the highest CMA shall be demmed the highest qualifier.

FINALE:

The 4 highest qualifiers will start from the back grid and will be awarded a further 2 points.

Gate positions on both grids will be chosen by the riders, starting in each instance with the highest qualifier.

The winner of the Finale will score 14 pts, 2nd 12 pts, 3rd 10 pts, 4th 8 pts, 5th 6 pts, 6th 4 pts, 7th 2 pts and 8th 0pts.

Finale positions will be awarded in the order of retirement where necessary, ie. first rider to stop for any reason will be deemed to have finished 8th, second to stop will be 7th, etc.

These points, plus any additional bonus points for bstarting from the back grid, will be added to the qualifying round scores to decide the overall meeting winner. In the event of a tie, the rider who started from the back grid shall be adjudged the winner. If those riders started from the same grid, then the finishing position in the 16 lap race shall decide the winner.

In the event of the race being stopped before the start of the 6th lap, the race will be re-run over the full 16 laps with those riders still racing occupying their original starting positions. In the evnt of the race being stopped for a second time before the start of the 9th lap, it will be re-run over the number of laps not completed at the second attempt, with the riders having a choice of starting position according to their placings at the time of the stoppage.

If the race is stopped after the start of the 9th lap, but before the start of the 14th lap, it will be re-run over 10 laps, with the riders having a choice of starting position according to their placings at the time of the stoppage.

If the race is started after the start of the 14th lap the result may be declared at the referee's discretion, with no re-run.

EQUIPMENT:

Only one tyre may be used for the qualifying heats. In the event of a puncture, the tyre may be changed for another of equal or more wear than which it repaces. Riders may use a new or different tyre for the Finale should they wish. No changing or turning of tyres will be allowed should the Finale be stopped and re-run. If the Finale is stopped at any time after 4 laps have been completed, riders will be allowed to refuel and oil their machines.

--------

Edited by Lovey

I must admit I am in some agreement with aljack on this one.

Not that I think that the 16 Lapper is stale, but I don't think the timing is right.

I'm in essence a traditionalist, and I always associate the 16 Lapper with a lovely warm sunny evening in June / July. Also when the meeting was first run it was with a full 16 rider field, which no only added more to the qualifying competition, but also provided a better consolation race.

Now I'm prepared to accept that nostalgia ain't what it used to be, and no doubt there are probably some very good business reasons why we have the meeting in the format it is now. However I would personally like to see the 16 Lapper run mid season with a 16 rider field, and then the Star of Anglia as the farewell meeting.

I have to agree with Mr Snackette that the 16 lapper is not the attraction it used to be although the attendance tomorrow will be better than the last few Premier League matches.(That will not be too hard) Who can forget the 16 lappers with the top Elite riders taking part compared to tomorrows smaller and not so attractive field.

I wonder if it is right that 2 novice National league riders should even be taking part in this sort of competition, although young Cameron will certainly put a few extra on the gate.

Remembering that this will only be Camerons 16th birthday, not too much should be expected of him. Next season is a different kettle of fish with an Oz winters racing behind him and I expect him to improve race by race at reserve for the Witches. He is a super talent and will be in the top 5 after a few weeks if staying away from injury, as he really gets stuck in.

100% a trolling post if I ever saw one! Every post previous to it sings the praises of the novelty of the 16 Lapper and up pops Aljerk (who else?) to say that it's had it's day etc

Well, if you feel like that then don't go.

If I wanted to see a verison of the SGP, then I'll just watch one of the many SGP's during the season - the whole point of the 16 lapper is that it is a unique race and is traditionally the season ender at Foxhall - replacing it with a wannabe-SGP will see crowds drop for the ever popular 16 lapper that's for sure!

.................. - the whole point of the 16 lapper is that it is a unique race and is traditionally the season ender at Foxhall - ..........

Agree that the 16 Lapper is a unique meeting, and certainly a meeting that should / must be preserved. But traditionally the end of season finale at Ipswich.....no. In recent years it has ended the season, but the meeting was traditionally / originally staged mid season.

I just think that the meeting is best suited to a warm sultry evening in July / August, rather than a usually chilly evening in October.

Of course in the past we have seen the likes of Penhall, Nielsen, Carter, Billy et all battling it out for the title ( and if memory serves me correctly also for a brand new engine ), but these REAL superstars are no longer available, and in my opinion the current crop of GP tarts are not in the same league as these heroes of the past. So no problem with the quality of field, just the quantity. If we are talking tradition, the meeting was always run with a 16 rider field. This made the qualifying heats far more competitive, and also provided a decent Consolation Final.

However I'm pragmatic enough to accept that the financial realities of life in 2011 dictates that the meeting runs in the format it is now.

I have to agree with Mr Snackette that the 16 lapper is not the attraction it used to be although the attendance tomorrow will be better than the last few Premier League matches.(That will not be too hard) Who can forget the 16 lappers with the top Elite riders taking part compared to tomorrows smaller and not so attractive field.

I wonder if it is right that 2 novice National League riders should even be taking part in this sort of competition, although young Cameron will certainly put a few extra on the gate.

The field has been smaller and not so attractive for a few years, and during that time the variation in quality of riders in any one line-up has been quite dramatic.

The heyday of the world-class line-up for any domestic individual event has long, long gone. Check out the Olympique, which was staged at Wolves last week - the main reason that event has also survived is the novelty value, rather than the high quality of riders taking part.

Indeed, what high-class indivudal events remain in British speedway? Whatever happened to the Coventry Brandonapolis, KL Pride of The East, Swindon Silver Plume, Poole Blue Riband ... even the Midas-touch of Matt Ford can't stage that.

The field has been smaller and not so attractive for a few years, and during that time the variation in quality of riders in any one line-up has been quite dramatic.

The heyday of the world-class line-up for any domestic individual event has long, long gone. Check out the Olympique, which was staged at Wolves last week - the main reason that event has also survived is the novelty value, rather than the high quality of riders taking part.

Indeed, what high-class indivudal events remain in British speedway? Whatever happened to the Coventry Brandonapolis, KL Pride of The East, Swindon Silver Plume, Poole Blue Riband ... even the Midas-touch of Matt Ford can't stage that.

Rather than a single ELRC or PLRC why not have each club stage a round of their individual and the points go towards a championship?

As for the 16 lapper here are the lineups for when the 16 lapper did indeed have a brand new bike as the prize. :shock: And they were televised on "Wheels" on itv.

1:B Sanders

2:N Flatman

3:R Knight

4:P Crump

5:J Doncaster

6:C Blackbird

7:M Taylor

8:J Cook

9:H Nielsen

10:B Schwartz

11:A Campbell

12:K Niemi

13:J Owen

14:P Eriksen

15:J Louis

16:L King

1:N Flatman

2:J Nilsen

3:P Eriksen

4:J Rasmussen

5:M Simmons

6:P Crump

7:A Farmer

8:B Schwartz

9:J Cook

10:C Blackbird

11:K Jolly

12:J Pedersen

13:K Carter

14:R Knight

15:H Nielsen

16:S Wigg

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

I still remember my first 16 lapper back in 1989 ish, the experience of seeing 8 bikes going into the first corner at pretty much the same time was aweinspiring and eek at the same time.

There is a certain excitement just prior to the start of the 16 lap final, I still get butterflies in my tummy as the seconds count down and the thrill I still feel when the tapes go up is just amazing, there is nothing else like it and to me, is the perfect finisher of the season.

Can't wait until tonight! Really, really looking forward to it.

Lovey - thanks for putting all the rules and regs up, saves me texting the whole blooming lot through later!

Can remember 1984/85 but not before, probably helps that they on on vhs(now dvd) though! :wink: 1984 was won by Crump after Cook had led for all of the race and had about 1/2 lap lead but had bike problems, slowed and then knocked off by Crump! :shock:

Was also the year when John Louis fell off in front of most of the field and Jem Doncaster rode over him!

knew it would be on youtube somewhere.....

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut