British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Speedway Gp In Tatters !

So, up to 5 wildcards per GP !

Riders prefer lucrative league bookings over GPs

Time to isolate the GP from the World Championship, and bring back a proper, one-off, World Championship event each season

No reason why we can't have a World Champion alongside the GP Champion - is there ?

Time to isolate the GP from the World Championship, and bring back a proper, one-off, World Championship event each season

No reason why we can't have a World Champion alongside the GP Champion - is there ?

I agree 100%.

And anyone who turns down a wildcard should NEVER be offered another route into the GP without qualifying by right

Choosing money over the chance to be world champion....................bizarre

Hopefully this is the GP circus crumbling around us and as has been said we can get back to a proper world championship rather than a money making scheme for a company who take all the money out of the sport

And anyone who turns down a wildcard should NEVER be offered another route into the GP without qualifying by right

Hopefully this is the GP circus crumbling around us and as has been said we can get back to a proper world championship rather than a money making scheme for a company who take all the money out of the sport

WHAT utter tosh. BSI/IMG pay a considerable sum of money to the FIM (putting money back into the sport) that they wouldn't otherwise have, SVEMO use their income from GPs to benefit youth speedway, likewise the DMU.

We live in a commercial world. Do FIFA not make money out of the World Cup? Your argument should be about what happens to the money the FIM receive.

We do have a proper World Championship but you just can't see it.

WHAT utter tosh. BSI/IMG pay a considerable sum of money to the FIM (putting money back into the sport) that they wouldn't otherwise have, SVEMO use their income from GPs to benefit youth speedway, likewise the DMU.

We live in a commercial world. Do FIFA not make money out of the World Cup? Your argument should be about what happens to the money the FIM receive.

Im afraid some people are stuck in the "good old days" and will never escape to see the light. The Grand Prix series is one of the few successes of our sport and anyone who wishes it to crumble is unwittingly wishing further decline of speedway as a professional sport. To return to a one day final would be financial and commercial suicide for the sport. Sadly, some people don't know a good thing when they see it.

Im afraid some people are stuck in the "good old days" and will never escape to see the light. The Grand Prix series is one of the few successes of our sport and anyone who wishes it to crumble is unwittingly wishing further decline of speedway as a professional sport. To return to a one day final would be financial and commercial suicide for the sport. Sadly, some people don't know a good thing when they see it.

Sorry? What "success" has the GP series brought to speedway in England, Scotland and Wales?

30-40,000 crowds at the Millenium Stadium have not benefitted speedway in the Principality

The other rounds of the series have seriously disrupted the domestic programme in the UK and probably taken away from the British paying public a number of "the better" riders who might otherwise have ridden over here in our league

No, sorry, I don't buy this "GP series good for (British) speedway" at all

SVEMO use their income from GPs to benefit youth speedway, likewise the DMU.

Can you confirm whether they apply to the FIM for the income?

Sorry? What "success" has the GP series brought to speedway in England, Scotland and Wales?

It put it back on the television? Making it more available to approximately a million people in the UK? Created sponsorship opportunities that wasn't there previously? Not one television broadcaster wanted to show speedway until the new era of the GP's came along.

Edited by Deano

The thing is we'll never know if top riders would have deliberately dropped out of the one of world final qualifying rounds. Speedway was more financially rewarding back in the day of the one off final. These days I guess the prize money for a one off final would be peanuts compared to back then and perhaps not worth the machinery investment.

It put it back on the television? Making it more available to approximately a million people in the UK? Created sponsorship opportunities that wasn't there previously? Not one television broadcaster wanted to show speedway until the new era of the GP's came along.

SKY?

When are people going to understand - the current format is a money making machine for the BSI and they will never go back to the old style one off world final.

Think about it - 12 rounds with a crowd at each. Compare that to 1 single round with 1 crowd and 1 set of sponsors.

The money making potential of 12 different rounds is far superior and we must all know that each event has a different main sponsor (that goes on the fork covers of each rider).

It doesn't make financial sense to cannibalise the current format and take it back to the tired format it used to be run in, and we must all admit that having it spread over the season keeps us all entertained and regardless of the current state of the SGP and Poland, it will still produce some (if maybe slightly second rate) quality racing.

Events like Cardiff, Torun and Copenhagen (which are held in incredible stadia) wouldn't exist, and please don't tell me that qualifying rounds could be held there, that just wouldn't work.

Making brash comments like 'put it back to what we used to have' simply don't fit with speedway any more. BSI have done an incredible job of bringing GP speedway into the modern world and none of us can dispute that.

The fact of the matter is, the GP system itself is not the one to blame here, its league racing that is treading on it's toes that is the problem

Edited by Dave_Minall

Can you confirm whether they apply to the FIM for the income?

So,SVEMO use their GP money to put into their youth system hey? What happens to the British GP money? Fills up the Bentleys etc. for Gospeed and goes nowhere near british speedway I'll wager

Not like you to appear on a thread supporting the wonderful job BSI/IMG do for the sport Philip. Perish the thought people do not share your view. I am entitled to my view as you are without it being rubbished.

No I am no GP fan, never have been and never will. The fact that its in such a mess now says it all for me, they seem to be struggling to persuade riders to take up a freebie gift to ride in it.

I totally accept others views that the GP is wonderful, just wondering who its wonderful for.

I do find it amazing how quick you are to defend the GP series on just about every thread that starts.

As for the comparison of FIFA taking money out of the World Cup, yes of course they do, but BSI are not the governing body, they are a commercial organisation who take money out of the sport adn in my opinion couldn't give a t*ss about the sport or the fans, my opinion that's all

IMO the FIM should be the ones making the money not some external organisation. Can you imagine FIFA allowing someone else to run the World Cup and keep a large slice of the proceeds. That is a far better comparison than the one you make

[sarcasm]Yeah, I mean who the hell would consider making a living and paying the rent/mortgage when they have a 99/1 chance (Unibet - Pepe) of succeeding where they've never threatened to before?![/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]Yeah, I mean who the hell would consider making a living and paying the rent/mortgage when they have a 99/1 chance (Unibet - Pepe) of succeeding where they've never threatened to before?![/sarcasm]

Yes it was of course sarcastic.

Its just interesting the the GP is put so much ahead of UK league racing by so many riders because its the most important thing yet when there is a threat to their income its not quite so important

I absolutely understand Pepe, he should probably feel annoyed that he spend a fortune competing in the qualifiers only to find it all wasted

In fairness Poland are only doing what the UK done a couple of years ago and nobody pulled out of the GP then