British Speedway Forum
Warm&Cosy

Gp Qualifier Berwick 16/6

YOU can bring a horse to water ... Just because the BBC show little or nothing about the SGP series doesn't mean they don't receive information. Look at the sgp website. It is superb both in its design and content. Compare that with the BSPA website. You still seem to be suggesting that it is the responsibility of BSI to promote British speedway. It isn't. But I know, from my own experience and knowledge of national newspapers in the UK that - unlike 30 years ago - they have little or no interest in motorcycle racing in general and speedway in particular. Compare that with Poland where if Gollob sneezes it's headline news. Coverage in Denmark has fallen away a little but, rest assured, if a Dane starts winning again they will rapidly come back on board. Sweden isn't anywhere near as bad as the UK. How many local papers outside of Manchester, Swindon and Poole (Bournemouth) show much interest in their local speedway clubs? In 1979 there were 39 members of SWAPA - the Speedway Writers' and Photographers' Association - on a charter aircraft to the World Final in Poland. Journalists like Graham Baker (Daily Mirror), Dave Lanning (Sun), Keir Radnedge (Daily Mail), Peter Oakes (Daily Star) and myself (Daily Express) had to file speedway stories EVERY day. Locally there were the likes of Richard Frost (MEN), Rob Bishop (Birmingham), Tom Johnson (Wolverhampton), Gordon Sampson (Halifax) and many more who had acres of space to fill on a regular basis. Mike Patrick and John Hipkiss supplied photos to a whole host of newspapers. Now? Virtually nothing. No British newspapers send reporters to any GP outside if the UK. Speedway coverage doesn't sell newspapers, pure and simple, and Sports Desks these days are very different in attitude than they were in the 1980s. When I also covered speedway for the News of the World the then Sports Editor (Bill Bateson, a Fleet Street legend) treated speedway no differently to soccer. He judged each story on its merit, even providing a whole page to Gary Havelock's victory at Wroclaw in 1992 even though there was a full programme of league football that day. Ken Lawrence at the Daily Express was of the same ilk. It's a different ball game (literally) these days. Lack of British success, guest riders, and the general malaise of speedway have all helped contribute to its lack of coverage but the fact remains that these days motorcycle sport simply isn't fashionable. Certainly the BSPA could do more to bang their own drum but it still might be to no avail. And without Sky speedway would disappear off the radar altogether. All of which is why I don't accept that having a SGP at Wembley would automatically attract huge media coverage. It wouldn't.

yep agree 100%. i dont think there will be pro speedway in the uk in 10 years. regarding poland speedway is large due to it being a backward country in modern terms. but this has changed over last few years and there is far more things for people to do. maybe in 10/15 years poland will be where the uk is now regarding speedway.

Would be interesting to note : How many members are in SWAPA now ???

SWAPA died many years ago. Wouldn't manage enough to fill a phone box these days.

I agree with most of your points here, but ! yes they may have some talented people but they all have a lot of untalented people. During my 8 years with BSI they have cocked up so many times its untrue, the last one being sweden last year :mad: yet they still have the cheek to ask about this year :D Customer service is very very poor.

I remember when i first met Paul in 2003 at our offices. didnt have a clue about what speedway was but the moto for bsi was we always under promise but always over achive. Well i can tell you in all the years they have over promised and under achived.

regardless of this i have always stuck up for the bsi but no more after 2011.

THE feeling is probably mutual and a shame really as Meridian obviously put a lot into speedway.

SWAPA died many years ago. Wouldn't manage enough to fill a phone box these days.

THE feeling is probably mutual and a shame really as Meridian obviously put a lot into speedway.

always life after the SGP Phil.

YOU can bring a horse to water ... Just because the BBC show little or nothing about the SGP series doesn't mean they don't receive information.

Whilst I'm not overly impressed by the BBC these days, I suspect it's as much about how relevant they feel the information is. I'd guess speedway simply needs to make itself more relevant.

Only 8 or 9 years ago I had the BBC on the phone fairly regularly to check the details of some minor story or other. That speedway can't even get that far sums up the low currency in which it's held...

Look at the sgp website. It is superb both in its design and content. Compare that with the BSPA website.

The BSPA website is a poor comparison, but frankly I don't think the SGP website is that good at all. It has improved, but not from a very high standard to start with.

You still seem to be suggesting that it is the responsibility of BSI to promote British speedway. It isn't. But I know, from my own experience and knowledge of nationalnewspapers in the UK that - unlike 30 years ago - they have little or no interest in motorcycle racing in general and speedway in particular. Compare that with Poland where if Gollob sneezes it's headline news.

I don't think it's the job of BSI to promote British speedway, but I do think it's the job of BSI to promote the SGP which I don't think they do that well in all honesty. As for Poland, my endearing impression is that speedway is hardly known outside the speedway areas of Poland.

Speedway coverage doesn't sell newspapers, pure and simple, and Sports Desks these days are very different in attitude than they were in the 1980s.

Traditional news media is frankly little short of dead these days. Adopting new forms of publicity is the future.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

The examples given by endless people on here are there to see, Lee, Moore, Louis( a different age scale and exsperience looking back what a achievement for Tiger) Collins.They are just a few named theyre is no doubt in my my mind those named would no way of got a chance REGULARLY as they did now in the series.For me when i have seen at least 10 riders (riders i admire i must add) regularly ride over 3 years now in the gp it is odvious to me that it is a closed shop.Crump Gollob Hampel Jonsson Saydifunov Holder Bjerre Hancock Pedersen Harris Lindgren. 11 named most of them if not all of them will be in it the series as LONG they want to.They are the right riders of course but that is not the point 11 the main core are nearly guaranteed to be in it.Even 2 of the new faces in it this year Andersen and Lindback have had endless chances i am not saying it is WRONG just pointing out things.

Why do you think Lee, Collins, Louis, Moore wouldn't have got a chance REGULARLY? Your chief criticism of the GP seems to be that the same riders stay in it each year (if they are good enough) - surely the definition of regularly? For example , Collins would have ridden in the 79 and 81 GPs, he didn't make those finals. Similarly, I'd say Lee would have ridden in the 82 GP (didn't in the 82 final). So, quality riders that you have names would surely have had a chance to win the title more redularly not less?

In 1977 Mike Lee was British Champion and at the top of his game. Had the GP in its current guise been around in 1977 it is 100% certain Mike Lee, if he had failed to qualify, would have been offered a place in the series, based on his 1976 exploits, similar to Ward this year. So would Peter Collins in 1974. The examples given would all have had the same opportunity now as they did in their day

I hear what you say, but Lee wouldn't have been offered a place in the 1977 series from his performances in 1976. 1976 was his first year in senior racing, sure he was good but his average of only 7point something wouldn't have been enough to warrent an invitation.

Would it have been a bad thing if Lee had not been in the 77 series - obviously it would have made that year's series slightly less exciting (similar to Ward this year), but in the long run would it have made any difference?

In fact, looking at Moore, Collins and Lee (the three examples regularly trotted out of olden day youngsters doing well) - these incredibly talented riders managed "only" four titles between them. Compare that to say Mauger, Briggs, Nielsen to whom success came later (and were arguably less talented riders) who managed 14 betwteen them. Is there perhaps an argument that it is better for a riders career development not to have too much success too young - as perhaps it may dim the motivation, bring too much pressure etc? Perhaps we should be pleased that Ward is delaying entrance to the series until he feels he is totally "ready."

Coventry Speedway are hoping (subject to interest) to take a coach to Berwicj for the qualifiers, anyone who is interested needs to make themselves known at the kiosk in speed square

In fact, looking at Moore, Collins and Lee (the three examples regularly trotted out of olden day youngsters doing well) - these incredibly talented riders managed "only" four titles between them. Compare that to say Mauger, Briggs, Nielsen to whom success came later (and were arguably less talented riders) who managed 14 betwteen them. Is there perhaps an argument that it is better for a riders career development not to have too much success too young - as perhaps it may dim the motivation, bring too much pressure etc? Perhaps we should be pleased that Ward is delaying entrance to the series until he feels he is totally "ready."

Good point. Take on board what you say. I believe in Lee's instance, that by him being brilliant from the off, it was always going to be difficult to maintain his increditable start to his career. Also, it was unfortunate that his brushes with the authorities was to bring such an early finish what could have been a record breaking career. So i am aware he only achieved the 1 World title, but I am in no doubts he would have added to that, had he'd raced longer.

Edited by GRW123

(As I previously posted on another thread) My feelings of qualification to the GP series could be far better. The implication of which could have a far-reaching effect on our Elite League. I don’t believe it to be right that those riders who finish outside to the top three should have automatic qualification to the next series. My suggestion would be that, top three would go through to next years series, Joined by the top three in the averages from Poland, Denmark, Sweden and England. (If a rider qualifies from two leagues his place is allocated to the next rider on the list.). This would total 15 plus one extra as dominated by the hosts of each meeting.

That's a really good idea. The only problem here is the Danish league. I don't think it shouls be treated on the par with the EL, Swedish and Polish leagues. But the general notion is certainly taking the system in the right direction :)

On the other hand... do you remember the last time the GP qualifications were entirely fair? we really shouldnt get our hopes up...

JUNE 16th: THE BIGGEST NIGHT (SO FAR) IN BERWICK SPEEDWAY HISTORY!

The progress of Shielfield Park as one of the UK’s premier speedway venues will be taken to a new level on Saturday, June 16th, with the FIM/BSPA Grand Prix Qualifying Event, featuring world-class riders from a dozen nations.

“Berwick have shown many other clubs the way forward in recent years” stated a BSPA spokesperson.

“They have the first polyfoam fence in their League, a greatly-improved racing surface, a well-respected standard of meeting presentation and – following recent inspection – full FIM approval to stage international events of this nature”.

Riders already nominated (by their national federations) include Chris ‘Bomber’ Harris and Tai Woffinden (UK), Davey Watt and Sam Masters (Australia, Tero Aarnio (Finland), Christian Hefenbrock (Germany) and Argentineans Facundo Albin and Emiliano Sanchez.

Nominations are awaited from the USA (2 riders), Sweden, Russia, Holland, Poland, Denmark and the Czech Republic.

JUNE 16th: THE BIGGEST NIGHT (SO FAR) IN BERWICK SPEEDWAY HISTORY!

The progress of Shielfield Park as one of the UK’s premier speedway venues will be taken to a new level on Saturday, June 16th, with the FIM/BSPA Grand Prix Qualifying Event, featuring world-class riders from a dozen nations.

“Berwick have shown many other clubs the way forward in recent years” stated a BSPA spokesperson.

“They have the first polyfoam fence in their League, a greatly-improved racing surface, a well-respected standard of meeting presentation and – following recent inspection – full FIM approval to stage international events of this nature”.

Riders already nominated (by their national federations) include Chris ‘Bomber’ Harris and Tai Woffinden (UK), Davey Watt and Sam Masters (Australia, Tero Aarnio (Finland), Christian Hefenbrock (Germany) and Argentineans Facundo Albin and Emiliano Sanchez.

Nominations are awaited from the USA (2 riders), Sweden, Russia, Holland, Poland, Denmark and the Czech Republic.

I believe Linus Sundstrom has been nominated to represent Sweden

• Like 1

This is looking very good. We are coming up for it. Will Berwick be pre-selling tickets, or is it all in the hands of the FIM?

Announced on saturday night that Tero Aarnio will represent Finland in this meeting.

The continued climb of Shielfield Park toward being one of the UK’s premier speedway venues will be taken to a new level on Saturday, June 16th, with the FIM/BSPA Grand Prix Qualifying Event, featuring world-class riders from a dozen nations.

“Berwick have shown many other clubs the way forward in recent years,” stated a BSPA spokesperson.

While a ‘normal’ event would have a couple of local lads on stand-by, the importance of this ‘biggest ever’ meeting can be emphasised by Team GB manager Neil Middleditch having named Danny King (brother of Bandit Jason) and a man who certainly knows the best way around Shielfield in Olly Allen as his nominated reserves for the event.

Already nominated for the ‘biggest speedway event ever staged at Berwick’ are Davey Watt and Sam Masters of Australia and British stars Chris ‘Bomber’ Harris and Tai Woffinden.

Finland will send Tero ‘The Hero’ Aarnio and Argentina have named teenage sensation Facundo Albin alongside Emiliano Sanchez. The German representative will be Christian Hefenbrock.

Sponsorship prospects for this event are naturally disappearing like the hottest of hotcakes – to grab a heat, rider or hospitality package, contact Julie Newton on 07840-998845 at the earliest opportunity.

Still to come are the names of the riders from Poland, Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Holland, the Czech Republic and two from the USA.

The event is the most-prestigious ever presented at Shielfield Park, and local groups are already taking full advantage by investing in fence advertising and taking up the limited availability of Heat, Rider and Hospitality packages.

To ‘get in on the act’ before it is too late, prospective sponsors and/or advertisers should contact the club’s Commercial Manager Julie Newton (Julie@berwickbandtis.co)

Berwick website has named Linus Sundstrom as Swedish representative and Matej Kus for the Czech Republic.

Leaving representatives from Russia, Poland, Holland, Denmark and the two Yanks to be named.

This is getting very tasty!

• Like 1